Desktop freeze on resume from Suspend [18.1]

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
fleamour
Level 2
Level 2

Desktop freeze on resume from Suspend [18.1]

Post by fleamour »

Upgrade from 17.3 to 18 rock solid suspend no issues. 18.1 however has intermittent suspend issue. The desktop will display along with movable mouse pointer but left/middle/right click has no effect. Dropping to a shell then Ctrl + Alt + F7 results in black screen.

I have re-imaged 18.0 for the present, but if it aint broke?..
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Lenovo ThinkPad X250 i7 ~ Mint 20 Cinnamon
Beerforfree

Re: Desktop freeze on resume from Suspend [18.1]

Post by Beerforfree »

The same happens to me, I was tired to have no login after suspend and opening a new tty to kill the screensaver, so I configured it not to have screensaver. Now the desktop is completely frozen, you can move around with the mouse but no action can be performed. Now I have to kill the cinnamon session.
I hope this gets soon fixed, meanwhile I'll enable the screensaver again.
17.3 had the dual monitor issue, 18.1 the login or frozen issue all related with suspend mode, seems to be our Achilles heel
boodysaspie
Level 1
Level 1

Post by boodysaspie »

I feel your pain :( Mint (apparently randomly) freezes on my system when waking from suspend. The mouse cursor moves, but doesn't operate anything. Usually CTRL-ALT-BackSpace restarts, but sometimes it's Big Red Switch Time.

I've had this problem on my PC since Mint 17.2 (not too bad), 17.3 (worse), 18 (worst) and 18.1 (bearable, daily).

For the last week, I've avoided the problem by disabling the power saving in Mint and relying on the on/off button on the monitor. Today (duh) I remembered that my monitor has an eco sensor which switches off when I'm away from my desk for more than 40 seconds. So far, so good.
a-bentofreire
Level 2
Level 2

Post by a-bentofreire »

I'm running Linux Mint 18.1 Cinnamon and often after a resume from suspend, the mouse works but not the keyboard.
The way I found to solve it, is to click on users icon, and then on click on power icon on top of the screen, click on suspend icon.
Wait until it fully suspends, and then press the power button to resume again. Many times, after the 2nd resume the keyboard works again.
It's lengthy turnaround and doesn't always works, but sometime it does.
umitsayman

Post by umitsayman »

Same to me. Surprised at developpers did not show a way to solve this issue so far.
:shock:
erebus31

Post by erebus31 »

Same issue here, happens to me about 30% of the time. It looks like it hangs up halfway in between switching between the screensaver and the lock screen, so I can faintly see the lock screen in the background but I can't access it. I can move the cursor around but nothing responds to clicks. The only way to get out of it is to Ctrl+Alt+Backspace and on very rare occasions that doesn't even work and I have to manually shut down which I hate doing.
GaryV
Level 1
Level 1

Post by GaryV »

I have had the same issue...

I had thought at first it was a video driver... switched from the NVIDA to the nouvau driver.. seemed to help at first.
Then I thought maybe it was the AMD chipsets as this does NOT happen on my Lenovo I7 laptop.

I have dropped to the shell, using a different session. Killall cinnamon did nothing.. killing cinnamon also did nothing, but today I killed cinnamon-session and it restarted cinnamon and I could log in again without rebooting.
fleamour
Level 2
Level 2

Post by fleamour »

Went away for me with proprietary Nvdia driver.
Lenovo ThinkPad X250 i7 ~ Mint 20 Cinnamon
Beerforfree

Post by Beerforfree »

I've upgraded my notebook to 19.1, issue solved
18.3 has the same issue

Return to “Cinnamon”