TV tuner (USB) working OOTB for DVB-T & Analog with Mint 6 ?

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
adamentos

TV tuner (USB) working OOTB for DVB-T & Analog with Mint 6 ?

Post by adamentos »

Hi, this is my first post to the forum. Last week I switched distros from Ubuntu 8.10 to Mint 6 and so far I'm loving it and expect to keep it for quite a while.

I may be looking for the Holy Grail of TV tuners that will work under Linux. Here is what I would like:

1. USB stick
2. Support for both analog and DVB-T
3. works out of the box, w/o having to download drivers, etc...(I have a 9 month old baby and not all the time in the world)
4. works with the latest Linux kernel.
5. PAL support (I live in Berlin, Germany btw)
6. works with Ubuntu 8.10

Gosh what else? How about a working remote control!

If I had to take anything away from above, a PCI card would be ok. most important is the hybrid digital + analog possibilities. If anyone has success like this or approaching something in common, please, any ideas?

Or should I just buy a TV?

regards,
Adam
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tinca
Level 5
Level 5

Re: TV tuner (USB) working OOTB for DVB-T & Analog with Mint 6 ?

Post by tinca »

adamentos,

I have a Hauppauge WinTV Nova-t USB unit that I have had for a few years now, and it works out of the box with Mint "Alyssa" 5, using Kaffeine.

Best regards Keith
adamentos

Post by adamentos »

tinca wrote: I have a Hauppauge WinTV Nova-t USB unit that I have had for a few years now, and it works out of the box with Mint "Alyssa" 5, using Kaffeine.
Hi Keith,
Wow thanks for the quick reply, that sure beats all of the unanswered questions I posted in the Ubuntu forum.

That's good to hear, that's one that I've been oogling and googling. Tell me though, does it also take an analog signals?

best,
Adam
tinca
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tinca »

adamentos,

unfortunately I only have a digital signal now so I can't provide you with any further information.

Best regards Keith

Return to “Hardware Support”