installing mint alongside win7 on a separate HDD

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
longshanks67
Level 2
Level 2

installing mint alongside win7 on a separate HDD

Post by longshanks67 »

I have a usb stick with Mint installed ready to go (tested) My desktop has 3 drives win 7, plus two IDE's for storage. I want to use one of these to install Mint on and dual boot with win 7. So far I have formatted one of the spare drives disconnected the other two, changed the boot sequence to boot from the usb and then install. It will not boot from the drive telling me to"remove disks or other media press any key to restart" My HDD has only been formatted do I need to partition it as well before this process will work?
regards
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
marsh20
Level 4
Level 4

Re: installing mint alongside win7 on a separate HDD

Post by marsh20 »

Hiya, Sounds like the set up I have. Whereabouts you have (and which) MBR, is the question. Depending your priorities you may wish the Window HHD be the first, I have the Mint disk as the first boot and then the start upmanager (GRUB) gives me the default O/S which I can override or accept or have a 3 second default choice.
Think about the "undo" before you "do".
Mark Phelps
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mark Phelps »

Is the drive you are trying to install to also an IDE drive?

Have you booted the PC with only that drive connected, gone into the BIOS settings and confirmed it sees the drive?

Asking because IDE drives have jumpers -- for master and slave settings -- and it sounds like the drive is not jumpered properly to run on its own.
longshanks67
Level 2
Level 2

Post by longshanks67 »

Yes both these spare drives are IDE and have been used within my system for a few years as storage with my main HDD which is a Sata drive installed with Win 7.As already stated above I want to install Mint onto one of these IDE drives. I have formatted one of them disconnected the other two inserted the mint loaded live usb stick changed the boot sequence to usb Ist boot then restarted the pc but on reboot it does not read the usb stick therefor I cannot load Mint onto it.
MintyO

Post by MintyO »

You say
I have a usb stick with Mint installed ready to go (tested)
but then later
inserted the mint loaded live usb stick changed the boot sequence to usb Ist boot then restarted the pc but on reboot it does not read the usb stick therefor I cannot load Mint onto it.
When you say tested I'd assume you mean you have booted into a Mint live-image. If this is correct, then when in the live-image you just double click the icon on the desktop "install Linux Mint" and the installer starts. During the installation you can choose the device on which the Mint and bootloader (grub) is installed. Choose the disc you want for both. On additional note, I wouldn't bother disconnection your other drives. If you don't have win7 disk connected, you have to run sudo update-grub from Mint afterwards to detect win7 and add that to grub menu. Which would be the easiest way in my opinion with multiple disks to multiboot. You can naturally choose the disk to boot, from bios, each time. But seems like an unnecessary hazzle.
longshanks67
Level 2
Level 2

Post by longshanks67 »

many thanks for that. yes I have tested the image on the stick and have already installed it on my laptop. and that installation works fine on my single o/s laptop. but the problem I know have is I have already explained is that although I have installed Mint onto my desktop on it's own HD it is not recognized as a HD within win 7 when I am working in win 7. During boot up I am given the choice of which O/S to use when I select Mint all I get is a blank screen with a flashing cursor. I use Easy BCD as a boot manager. I am doing something wrong but I just can't see it.

Return to “Beginner Questions”