OpenShot versions

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jsb
Level 3
Level 3

OpenShot versions

Post by jsb »

I read some of the "Why are my applications not the latest possible version?" discussion.

I installed the version of OpenShot (1.4.3-1.2) from the official repository. All I am planning to do is just some cutting of old home videos, nothing fancy. These were mostly shot on 8mm video tape, later transferred to DVD, and now in the process ripping from DVDs, which is to be followed by editing with OpenShot.

While this old version seems adequate for my purposes, if I wanted to try the updated version (2.2.0) do I need to uninstall the version I have now before following the instructions at http://www.openshot.org/ppa/?

Or do I just do this, without removing current installation:

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:openshot.developers/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install openshot-qt
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: OpenShot versions

Post by Hoser Rob »

DVD video is quite old and outmoded ... there have been I'd say 3 new major video formats that have come out since. So there really aren't a whole lot of enhancements to be had working with DVD compliant MPEG-2 video. Newer versions are going to concentrate on newer formats like HEVC. I only have a few apps that weren't from the repos and half are for HEVC processing. The only others are Chrome and Clipgrab. That's it.

So bottom line, I don't think editing DVD video is much of a reason to not use the repo version unless there's really something wrong with it.

I'd also suggest trying Avidemux ... it's pretty simple and you don't have to dick around with output profiles just to do cutting.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
jsb
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jsb »

Thanks, when I was researching my options, I did see info on Avidemux indicating that it was easy to use if all that is wanted is some cutting. But, IIRC, I decided against it because it appeared that installation was more complicated.
George99

Post by George99 »

If you like to give a try to the actual version download OpenShot as an AppImage from the website which runs without installing or interfering with you existing 1.4.3 version.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

There's an appimage of Avidemux available as well ... I use it in Mint 17.3 to edit x.264 video because the repo version won't.

I'm assuming you're on 18 or 18.1 because you say "it appeared that installation was more complicated" but you don't have to build avidemux from source. There are numerous ppas for Avidemux for Ubuntu 16.04 or distros based on it like Mint 18. I'd try the mc4man one first myself ... he's one of the better sources for such things:

https://launchpad.net/~mc3man/+archive/ubuntu/avidemux1
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
jsb
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jsb »

Yes, neglected to mention using Mint 18.1 XFCE, 64 bit.

I had ended up here: http://fixounet.free.fr/avidemux/ when I was thinking about trying avidimux. That was confusing to me...I was not sure what I was supposed to do next.

In rechecking what I had looked at, I also had seen this: viewtopic.php?f=47&t=237078&p=1268834&h ... x#p1268834

Which says: "Unfortunately...often the audio is out of sync."

Looks like, coincidentally, someone just yesterday posted easy to follow instructions for getting avidemux in mint 18. I was researching video editors on the day before :-). But appears ppa there is mc3man, rather that mc4man or maybe one of you has a typo?
viewtopic.php?f=180&t=239963&p=1280698& ... x#p1280698

Thanks to both of you for the help. I'll have to decide if I want to give avidemux a try and/or figure out what this appimage thing is.

I also should mention, after researching and trying a few other things for the ripping part, what I did was rip from DVD with MakeMKV. I struggled a lot with some other things, I think handbrake was one, the MakeMKV thing seemed to just work and was simple.

Then I used OpenShot to cut a chunk out of the MKV file and exported that. I tried two different export options, one gave me a .dvd file (I was like, hmm what's that :?: ) the other a .mpeg file.

Let me know if I am making this more complicated that it needs to be. All I want is to first convert the DVDs to some sort of electronic file to keep. Then next I'd edit those minimally, just to clean them up, without cutting any viewable content. Then eventually I'd also like to make some shorter clips from them and put those on, say, google drive to share.

I want to have these old DVDs, which began as home videos in some sort of common electronic format (I'd been assuming that'd be MP4, but maybe it doesn't matter much) partly this is to be another back-up to the DVD images that I have and also to make them viewable without sticking a DVD in a player.

Return to “Software & Applications”