Mint 18.1 - 4 minute startup

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gtsfer

Re: Mint 18.1 - 4 minute startup

Post by gtsfer »

This is for vl1969...
mideal wrote:You can change the shutdown behaviour in the Windows 10 system settings to "real" shutdown (please google that, as I'm to keep brain
free of that Win10 stuff as much as possible). Try that first before killing a running system.
If you still have that disk in your Windows machine and can boot from it, turn off "fast startup". Then do a Full shutdown in Windows. This closes that open "hiberfile". http://www.wintips.org/full-shutdown-windows-10-8-1-8/
vl1969 wrote:I also have a 1TB drive where the old windows 10 was/is setup.
as of now the old setup is not accessible. Mint says the drive is locked and cannot be mounted.
I suspect it is the way win10 works as it does not shutdown but go to sleep hence leaving the disk in locked state.
next weekend I will try to reformat the disk for linux properly. (this is the PC my father In-law uses, so I grabbed all data from the windows on an external drive and am letting him look over the backup before wiping the windows 10 setup to hell) I only have about two more week before mandatory activation kicks in and locks me out of setup so I set myself a limit of one week for all)

it is possible that my problem is that Mint tries to mount the old drive on boot and hangs on time out as it can not.
If it's installed in a Linux machine you can install ntfs-3g (which you can even do on a live Mint session). Be aware this is an EXAMPLE and your actual command will be different a bit depending on where the drive is on the target system. (you would have to change the "sda2" part). THis should also close the open "hiberfile". viewtopic.php?f=42&t=176752
vl1969

Post by vl1969 »

thank you all, but it is not important enough to go through all of that.
I have offloaded all the data to backup drive, and will be formating the drive hopefully this weekend regardless of anything. if it's the problem I will know in 15 min or less :-)
I might also just bite the bullet and get a small SSD for this machine.
just hope I can move the install on it, really don't want to reinstall a new.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

"Slow boot" with Mint 18/18.1 seems to be a problem for many people posting here.
Your blame results:

Code: Select all

3min 45.031s ntp.service
14.945s dev-sda1.device
12.681s networking.service
...etc
Besides the super-slow npt, everything, every step, is taking at least 10X longer than it should, the same issue several other people have had. I don't know if it's been solved.

I'd suggest that you try Mint 17.whatever instead.

FWIW, "Blame" on my Mint 18.1:

674ms dev-sda1.device
624ms networking.service
(boots in about 6-8 seconds on an SSD; was about 23 sec on a regular HD).

This command can be nice for finding slow boot steps:

dmesg
look a gap in the times on the left.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
gtsfer

Post by gtsfer »

vl1969 wrote:thank you all, but it is not important enough to go through all of that.
I have offloaded all the data to backup drive, and will be formating the drive hopefully this weekend regardless of anything. if it's the problem I will know in 15 min or less :-)
I might also just bite the bullet and get a small SSD for this machine.
just hope I can move the install on it, really don't want to reinstall a new.
Welcome, np. I really suspect after all this that your install media (DVD ?) is corrupt. NO machine should take 4+ minutes to boot. And you had the same problem on 2 different PCs now. Plus on your PC you tried Ubuntu, Mate, Cinnamon, Debian and whatever else. ALWAYS the same slow 4+ minute bootup.

Fwiw... you have to burn the iso to a DVD as an image. I think your media is built wrong now and moving it to an SSD just means moving a corrupted install. BEST option is to burn the DVD over and try a live boot. I think it would startup OK if we tried that. We can help with this when you're ready.
mintNme

Post by mintNme »

I installed 18.1 Mate on my friends Dell. It powers up to the desktop in 1m16s.
blame:
10.592s dev-sda1.device
7.488s ModemManager.service
5.796s loadcpufreq.service
5.078s accounts-daemon.service
3.981s systemd-logind.service
3.951s networking.service
3.723s ondemand.service
3.639s speech-dispatcher.service
3.382s systemd-udevd.service
3.326s console-kit-log-system-start.service
3.281s lm-sensors.service
3.260s pppd-dns.service
3.226s NetworkManager.service
3.195s rsyslog.service
2.144s thermald.service
2.102s lvm2-monitor.service
2.030s grub-common.service
1.833s console-setup.service
1.548s keyboard-setup.service
1.515s systemd-tmpfiles-setup-dev.service
1.461s binfmt-support.service
1.396s systemd-tmpfiles-setup.service
1.384s systemd-modules-load.service
1.355s systemd-journald.service
1.166s virtualbox-guest-utils.service
1.093s irqbalance.service
1.040s avahi-daemon.service
872ms upower.service
772ms sys-kernel-debug.mount
756ms polkitd.service
756ms dev-hugepages.mount
753ms dev-mqueue.mount
661ms hddtemp.service
585ms systemd-udev-trigger.service
539ms systemd-journal-flush.service
505ms plymouth-start.service
505ms plymouth-read-write.service
491ms kmod-static-nodes.service
474ms udisks2.service
403ms systemd-update-utmp.service
391ms systemd-sysctl.service
338ms systemd-random-seed.service
300ms dns-clean.service
280ms systemd-hostnamed.service
259ms proc-sys-fs-binfmt_misc.mount
255ms systemd-user-sessions.service
250ms ufw.service
237ms dev-disk-by\x2duuid-3d3bbf6c\x2dd139\x2d438a\x2db955\x2d34c1e4425d2e.swap
211ms setvtrgb.service
198ms plymouth-quit-wait.service
187ms plymouth-quit.service
174ms alsa-restore.service
151ms systemd-tmpfiles-clean.service
141ms systemd-remount-fs.service
128ms resolvconf.service
114ms user@1000.service
92ms openvpn.service
82ms console-kit-daemon.service
71ms ureadahead-stop.service
66ms cpufrequtils.service
57ms ntp.service
48ms rc-local.service
46ms systemd-update-utmp-runlevel.service
31ms rtkit-daemon.service
19ms sys-fs-fuse-connections.mount

We bartered a bit and I came home with that Dell. Based on what I experienced with the Cinnamon installation over the past few days I will not try to reduce this startup time at all unless someone can come up with a fix that would take mere minutes to implement.

I envy those of you who are able to startup in less than 20s but I will be content with a little over 1m rather than the over 4m with which I started. The slow startup problem addressed here did not get solved but I thank everyone for trying.
gtsfer

Post by gtsfer »

mintNme wrote:I installed 18.1 Mate on my friends Dell. It powers up to the desktop in 1m16s.
That's still kind of slow for any version of Linux.
mintNme wrote:We bartered a bit and I came home with that Dell. Based on what I experienced with the Cinnamon installation over the past few days I will not try to reduce this startup time at all unless someone can come up with a fix that would take mere minutes to implement.
Well again, I think it's your install media now and something about how you created it. There are specific instructions for burning that ISO file as an image and I'm thinking you didn't do this exactly right.

There's no quick fix (or possibly any) for a corrupted install. It all comes back to your live boot being so slow (with ANY Linux OS you tried it seems) and the fact that your live boot media did the same thing on a second PC.
mintNme

Post by mintNme »

The very first time I downloaded the 18.1 Cinnamon 32 bit iso using my Toshiba laptop with Win 10. Using the Win 10 default iso image burner I burned and verified the iso to a blank DVD+R 4x DVD.

Today, using the Dell GX280SD, with Mate installed, I downloaded a new 18.1 Mate 32 bit iso using a different download mirror then I had previously used. Using the Brasero iso image burner I burned the iso to a blank DVD+R 16x DVD (set to burn a little slower at 12x max).

With everything different, booting from the live DVD today, from Power on to the Desktop 4m15s.
gtsfer

Post by gtsfer »

mintNme wrote:The very first time I downloaded the 18.1 Cinnamon 32 bit iso using my Toshiba laptop with Win 10. Using the Win 10 default iso image burner I burned and verified the iso to a blank DVD+R 4x DVD.

Today, using the Dell GX280SD, with Mate installed, I downloaded a new 18.1 Mate 32 bit iso using a different download mirror then I had previously used. Using the Brasero iso image burner I burned the iso to a blank DVD+R 16x DVD (set to burn a little slower at 12x max).

With everything different, booting from the live DVD today, from Power on to the Desktop 4m15s.
This contradicts what I was thinking the problem was then. It sure looks like you did it correctly both times from this. Using an image burner and verified the ISO. But you saw this effect on 2 different PC's too. I wonder if it's possible the download source(s) got corrupted? That doesn't seem possible but I can try it myself. Just so I know I'm not going insane. :roll:
MintyO

Post by MintyO »

I've used dvds couple of times to do an install. Haven't timed it ever, but it sure does take time to boot compared to usb.
gtsfer

Post by gtsfer »

MintyO wrote:I've used dvds couple of times to do an install. Haven't timed it ever, but it sure does take time to boot compared to usb.
You mentioned USB before but I searched this thread and can't find what I'm looking for. Did you try it from a USB stick and get much better boot time results? I dunno why this would make any difference. It shouldn't. Just asking.

So far I can not get a 32-bit version of LM to boot on my 64-bit machine. I tried Cinnamon first (2 different downloads, and BOTH verified) and I am downloading Mate now. Seems like it should boot at least no problem. Both 32 and 64 bit are supposed to support EFI (which I have definitely) so I'm not sure what's going on yet.
MintyO

Post by MintyO »

gtsfer wrote:
MintyO wrote:I've used dvds couple of times to do an install. Haven't timed it ever, but it sure does take time to boot compared to usb.
You mentioned USB before but I searched this thread and can't find what I'm looking for. Did you try it from a USB stick and get much better boot time results? I dunno why this would make any difference. It shouldn't. Just asking.

So far I can not get a 32-bit version of LM to boot on my 64-bit machine. I tried Cinnamon first (2 different downloads, and BOTH verified) and I am downloading Mate now. Seems like it should boot at least no problem. Both 32 and 64 bit are supposed to support EFI (which I have definitely) so I'm not sure what's going on yet.
I was just making a distinction between live-images either on discs or sticks. I guess the difference comes from the fact that it takes (I think) longer to read the disk... No point in mentioning this other than to point that the "booting from dvd on a friends computer, 3 min + time" might be normal.

I consider the boots that I've had normal, no need for help. 8) Just tried to add something possibly useful, since I've been following this topic at the edge of my seat. Rooting for OP and trying to learn something useful as a result.

PS: I didn't mention usb before.
gtsfer

Post by gtsfer »

I think the OP gave up and I don't blame him. Something is funny here and I'm going to forget about it unless he comes back. :lol: I'd kind of like him to try 17.3 Cinnamon and see what his boot time is. So far no 32-bit version including Cinnamon 17.3 will boot on my 64-bit machine at all. And I'm not playing with BIOS settings as I shouldn't have to, never did before. Leaving EFI mode, no CSM etc. alone.

Maybe this one will just go away. :cry:
MintyO

Post by MintyO »

There's something funny alright.. though maybe not if your stuck with such a slow booting machine. I keep thinking this and one thing bugs me, the +r dvd. Official guide says to use -r and then there's this thread viewtopic.php?f=46&t=240145 I saw earlier (where, granted, it might have absolutely nothing to do with anything but is nevertheless mentioned in OP's second post). And I can't see how a successful installation from a "wrong" kind of media would carry over problems. mintNme, maybe try a usb-image, preferably made with Mint's Usb Image writer, or a -r dvd?
mintNme

Post by mintNme »

MintyO, iso to a USB thumb drive booted to the desktop in 2m20s. I installed 18.1 Cinnamon from the USB thumb drive. When done the time to the desktop was 2m21s. I downloaded a new iso, then using ImgBurn I burned and verified to a DVD-R at 8x. DVD to desktop was 5m45s. I installed the OS from the DVD. When done the time to the desktop was 2m48s.
gtsfer

Post by gtsfer »

mintNme wrote:MintyO, iso to a USB thumb drive booted to the desktop in 2m20s. I installed 18.1 Cinnamon from the USB thumb drive. When done the time to the desktop was 2m21s. I downloaded a new iso, then using ImgBurn I burned and verified to a DVD-R at 8x. DVD to desktop was 5m45s. I installed the OS from the DVD. When done the time to the desktop was 2m48s.
That's an improvement but it still sounds like a very long boot. I wonder what LM 17.3 Mate (or Cinnamon) would do on a "live" boot? Version 18 is still fairly new. The flash stick is probably faster than booting from DVD. But once installed, it's probably going to give you pretty much the same results.
mintNme

Post by mintNme »

Because of the critical-chain results showing the same UUIDs for both device and swap, with the device in RED, I ran the command blkid and then xed /etc/fstab. The blkid result for sda1 shows: UUID=3109dae0-caf4-4407-b71b-ec78fbcb4c69 / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1. The sda5 shows: UUID=3d3bbf6c-d139-438a-b955-34c1e4425d2e none swap sw 0 0. This swap partition number is what shows up twice in the critical-chain.

When I ran lsblk -f on "Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:42" it showed the UUIDs but had no error content. What, if anything, should can be done about "errors=remount-ro 0 1" in regard to sda1?
gtsfer

Post by gtsfer »

mintNme wrote:Because of the critical-chain results showing the same UUIDs for both device and swap, with the device in RED, I ran the command blkid and then xed /etc/fstab. The blkid result for sda1 shows: UUID=3109dae0-caf4-4407-b71b-ec78fbcb4c69 / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1. The sda5 shows: UUID=3d3bbf6c-d139-438a-b955-34c1e4425d2e none swap sw 0 0. This swap partition number is what shows up twice in the critical-chain.

When I ran lsblk -f on "Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:42" it showed the UUIDs but had no error content. What, if anything, should can be done about "errors=remount-ro 0 1" in regard to sda1?
Hey, do you have a dual-boot system maybe? That could generate 2 swap partitions if you installed a 'swap' each time. I have Linux Mint C18.1 AND Cinnamon 18.1 installed. But when I installed the 2nd Linux OS I did not create another swap. I learned this the hard way long ago. :)

If you have one setup already in a situation like this, LM will find the existing swap partition during the 2nd install and use it in creating the fstab file for the 2nd OS. In any case, 2 swap partitions could be the problem. But that doesn't necessarily explain the long 'live'' boot. But maybe... ???

Let me look back at the "Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:42" post and think about this some. Good catch.
MintyO

Post by MintyO »

I thought the swap was ruled out as the cause? I keep seeing these kinds of swap issues: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=240335&p=1283048, so I would try that "uncommenting" that it suggests. (not taking a stand on the issue should you or should you not use swap in general)

gtsfer, OP said it's not a dual boot, when I suggested the swap thing earlier.
gtsfer

Post by gtsfer »

MintyO wrote:I thought the swap was ruled out as the cause? I keep seeing these kinds of swap issues: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=240335&p=1283048, so I would try that "uncommenting" that it suggests. (not taking a stand on the issue should you or should you not use swap in general)

gtsfer, OP said it's not a dual boot, when I suggested the swap thing earlier.
I thought so but have to go out and don't have time to peruse the whole thread just yet. Thanks. Still something is weird there in light of the OP's last post with critical chain.
MintyO

Post by MintyO »

Yes, and I don't know if I should try to help or not, as I'm not a poweruser by any means.. there's just something about this problem. ...Okay, I have to say this one more thing before I bow out or it's gonna bother me if it by a long shot would be something: OP, if you decide to do an install once again at some point. When mounting your swap partition, tick the "format as linux swap" box. That is if you haven't done so with your earlier tries. It just seems by reading about boot times, that it's frequently about swap issues.

Return to “Installation & Boot”