Online Upgrade?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
vrk1219

Online Upgrade?

Post by vrk1219 »

Hi Gurus,
I have the Daryna version of Mint installed and is working perfectly fine, I would say now I got my dream machine.
I'm so thankful to all people who are helping green horns like me.

Now I want to upgrade my machine to say Felicia/ Elyssa.
Is there any possible way to update the system online. (probably I can restart the M/c once the install is done :wink: )

This requirement may be silly or furious, but I just want to know. :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
distoaddict

Re: Online Upgrade?

Post by distoaddict »

I don't think you can do that and i understand that a fresh install is always preferable.
rdonnelly
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rdonnelly »

Yes, just install over the existing installation. It will save your home folder and settings. Select but do not format the partition, and set it as " / " from manual partitioning, and be sure to import documents and settings during the install questions. You will have to reinstall all of you programs from apt, but you will not lose the settings of customizations. But what ever you do, at least back up your home folder just in case. I just take a screen shot, and use it to put everything back in order. If you had a custom panel, just restart you computer when you reinstall every thing, and the launchers will all reappear.
Using Mint since 2008
*Mint 18.2 KDE
*ASUS 970 PRO GAMING/AURA AM3+ AMD 970 + SB 950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1
*AMD FX-8370 with AMD Wraith cooler Vishera 8-Core 4.0 GHz (4.3 GHz Turbo)
*G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 SDRAM
*nVIDIA GEFORCE GT 610 2GB
vrk1219

Post by vrk1219 »

rdonnelly wrote:Yes, just install over the existing installation. It will save your home folder and settings. Select but do not format the partition, and set it as " / " from manual partitioning, and be sure to import documents and settings during the install questions. You will have to reinstall all of you programs from apt, but you will not lose the settings of customizations. But what ever you do, at least back up your home folder just in case. I just take a screen shot, and use it to put everything back in order. If you had a custom panel, just restart you computer when you reinstall every thing, and the launchers will all reappear.
HI,
Thanks for your inputs.
Thanks to distroaddict for responding.

Return to “Beginner Questions”