Caja triple click to open folders

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
zolix

Caja triple click to open folders

Post by zolix »

Hi Minter Fellows,

I'm old Linux man, but never have seen such a strange behaviour. It is somehow related to gtk themes, I think.
Linux Mint 18.1 Mate, Caja.
When one is using different themes than "official" Mint themes (Mint-x, Mint-y and its color variants) Caja does not open folder by double click, but a triple click. It means, you have to select it first by a single click, then open it by double click. Files are not affected, only folders. Do you have similar experiences?
I did some investigations, compared themes inherits, gtrc, iconsets, etc, but no suspicuous found. Perhaps one or more gtk engines do the trick, I'm not sure.

If you have time would you please do some experiments to see whether it is a general thing, or just I'm the lucky chosen one?

Perhaps I will ask Mate users at other distributions as well, to check if all Mate distributions are doing it, or limited to Mint.

Edit: I have an other Mint instance upgraded from previous versions in a virtualbox machine. Checked, and issue is not detected there. What could be the reason?

Thank you for your time.

Regards
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
caz
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Caja triple click to open folders

Post by caz »

Hi, zolix.

A few weeks back I was having problems with the double click on my 18.1 Mate install, what I did to fix it was to open 'Mouse Preferences' and mess around with the 'Double-Click Timeout' slider. Not sure if this is the cause of your problem but it might be worth a look.

Just in case it's, Menu- All Applications- Preferences- Mouse.
Some stuff I made using FOSS http://caz747.deviantart.com/
Mik3e
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Mik3e »

You are correct. In some circumstances, which have to do with the Caja view, selecting a folder 'eats' the first click.
Mike
zolix

Post by zolix »

Thanks for confirmation and the tip.
I will try it.
JonesKS

Post by JonesKS »

Hi Zolix,

Like you, I too thought was the chosen one because there's nothing out there on this one. So, we are the chosen ones! That being said, following your hint at "themes" being a possible reason helped me crack it. On my rig (Mint MATE 18.1 fresh install) it was the Vivaceous icon theme that did it! Choose anything else and everything works fine. Select Vivaceous (any flavour) => Caja Triple Click. So I don't think it's a Mint bug.

Hope it helps.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

@JonesKS
Good report--should help others.
I have always chosen to make my own personal theme--as opposed to importing one, so I have never seen this anomaly.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
JonesKS

Post by JonesKS »

@all41
@JonesKS
I have always chosen to make my own personal theme--as opposed to importing one, so I have never seen this anomaly.
Were you able to replicate it on your machine? What version are you running?
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

JonesKS wrote:@all41
@JonesKS
running Mate 17.3.
If you go outside the Mint repositories for themes you weaken your security
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
JonesKS

Post by JonesKS »

@all41
JonesKS wrote:
@all41

@JonesKS

running Mate 17.3.
If you go outside the Mint repositories for themes you weaken your security
I'll try to remember that... :D
FullTimer1489

Post by FullTimer1489 »

Running 18.2 mate with caja and it seems to be a theme thing.
If I run Green Laquna it takes three clicks to open a folder.
When I load Adwaita it takes only two clicks.
Mint-On-Mac

Post by Mint-On-Mac »

Hi,

Recently changed my computer. Currently running a Dual Xeon on Gigabyte MD80 motherboard configuration.

I also decided, after trying several other solutions to go for Linux Mint 18.2 with the MATE desktop.

I like to be able to customize my workspace a lot and use the icons/themes that I like.

I had the same problmes that are reported here and even found out some really weird things.

1°) this is not "Theme" related, but "Icon" related. If you use some icons packs, even from the official repos, then you may run into trouble and thus can be :
2°) with some icons, you may get that "triple click" problem ;
3°) with some icons packs you may be able to "double-click" directly, but folder will take some time to open (like 1/2 a second) ;
4°) with some other icons packs (Numix White) GUI will get totally unresponsive : click on a folder, it will take 3 or 4 seconds to be highlighted ; same if you then double-click it.

I do not know if this is Linux Mint or MATE 18 related, but you ask me, I'd go for MATE 1.18.0.

I saw that there is a package called "mate-desktop-environment" in version 2017-06-02. Anyone tried that ? Will it help ?

Hope this will help tracking down the bug and that we will have an update soon :-) Thanks for your replies about that package...

Regards.

FRED
kovsky
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kovsky »

Can attest to that it's iconpack-related. Having the same issue on fresh install of 18.2.
Changing the iconpack to any "Papirus" variant directly gives you the triple-click problem. Changing back to another iconpack makes it go away.

Same behaviour with touchpad or mouse.

Regards / K

Code: Select all

System:    Host: forest Kernel: 4.8.0-53-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
           Desktop: MATE 1.18.0 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3)
           Distro: Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya
Machine:   System: ASUSTeK (portable) product: X555LAB v: 1.0
           Mobo: ASUSTeK model: X555LAB v: 1.0
           Bios: American Megatrends v: X555LAB.601 date: 05/05/2016
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i5-5200U (-HT-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 8787
           clock speeds: max: 2700 MHz 1: 800 MHz 2: 802 MHz 3: 799 MHz
           4: 981 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel Broadwell-U Integrated Graphics bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1920x1080@60.05hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 5500 (Broadwell GT2)
           GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 17.0.7 Direct Rendering: Yes
kovsky
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kovsky »

Update:
Installing the iconpacks in ~/.icons instead of /usr/share/icons seems to have resolved the issue, for me at least. For example the Papirus pack now doesn't give Caja the hiccups anymore.

Perhaps that's how one is supposed to install iconpacks - but I didn't know. Maybe this helps someone else.

Regards / K

Return to “MATE”