possible to clean out "grub customizer" changes?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bbaker6212
Level 5
Level 5

possible to clean out "grub customizer" changes?

Post by bbaker6212 »

I have read that it is not recommended to use the Grub Customizer app because it greatly complicates your Grub setup and potentially messes things up and the effects/changes are not restored upon un-installing it. Is there a way to reset one's Grub configuration completely back to post-fresh-install?
I am pretty certain that I have continue to have problems caused by having having run GC before. Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linux Mint XFCE 21.1 , Windows 11, Pop!_OS 22.04 Acer Aspire 5 A515-57 (linux-probe), Core i5-1235U, 16GB RAM
Lenovo Ideapad 330S-15IKB (linux-probe), Core i5-8250U, 20GB RAM
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: possible to clean out "grub customizer" changes?

Post by jimallyn »

I have used grub-customizer in the past, too, before I heard that it wasn't such a good idea. I have thought about doing a new install (maybe in VirtualBox?) and see what is in the default grub configuration file.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

The trouble with GC is, that it does changes in the folder /etc/grub.d, which cannot simply get undone. Once installed, you are bound to GC.
grizzler

Post by grizzler »

The bits in /etc/grub.d/ come from the grub-common package. Wouldn't clearing out that directory and then reinstalling grub-common with the right dpkg switches (--force-confmiss and/or --force-confnew if I'm not mistaken) get rid of anything grub-customizer did? After that, an update-grub (possibly with install-grub before that, if you want to be sure) should get things back to a plain grub state.
bbaker6212
Level 5
Level 5

Post by bbaker6212 »

grizzler wrote:The bits in /etc/grub.d/ come from the grub-common package. Wouldn't clearing out that directory and then reinstalling grub-common with the right dpkg switches (--force-confmiss and/or --force-confnew if I'm not mistaken) get rid of anything grub-customizer did? After that, an update-grub (possibly with install-grub before that, if you want to be sure) should get things back to a plain grub state.
Well thanks for the recommendation. I might try that after backing up that directory contents in case it makes things worse.
Linux Mint XFCE 21.1 , Windows 11, Pop!_OS 22.04 Acer Aspire 5 A515-57 (linux-probe), Core i5-1235U, 16GB RAM
Lenovo Ideapad 330S-15IKB (linux-probe), Core i5-8250U, 20GB RAM
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

This might be a way to undo:
https://answers.launchpad.net/grub-cust ... ion/256268

If that fails, I recommend a clean re-installation of your Mint.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Return to “Installation & Boot”