[Solved] Alternatives to Firefox

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Seff

[Solved] Alternatives to Firefox

Post by Seff »

I'm starting to lose patience with Mozilla and don't like what I've seen of Opera. Could someone recommend an alternative browser? Ideally it should have File, Edit, etc. at the top and- here's the main thing- it should be easy to contact a real person in order to get help. Thank you very much.

No idea why, but most sites I try visiting in Midori fail with an "SSL Handshake failed" error.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Alternatives to Firefox

Post by JerryF »

I've been using Chrome and Chromium. They are fast and reliable for me and the other reason I use them is that I have my contacts and bookmarks synced through my Google account, so when I sign into my account (at home or work), I have everything I need.

If I may ask, do you really need the "File, Edit, etc." drop down menus?
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

And if you really like the Menu Bar, just right-click in an open area near the top tabs -> and select (click to add/rem check) Menu Bar. :-)
Seff

Post by Seff »

Thank you both. And Jerry- I thought it was very rude of Mozilla to hide the thing without first telling me. (Maybe they did, in the release notes? If so, why not add a link somewhere prominent?) Things like that bother me- indeed, one reason I'm not using Ubuntu is because the minimize, maximize and close buttons are on the left-hand side. Oops.

I'm looking into using Vivaldi and/or Midori as they seem to be more forthcoming with information and Vivaldi has a forum that's quite easy to find.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

The closest alternative to Firefox is Pale Moon.
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

Seff wrote: I thought it was very rude of Mozilla to hide the thing without first telling me. (Maybe they did, in the release notes? If so, why not add a link somewhere prominent?)
It's one click to reactivate it. :?
Seff wrote: I'm not using Ubuntu is because the minimize, maximize and close buttons are on the left-hand side. Oops.
It's configurable and it takes 3 seconds.
EDIT: Seems that the setting for this move has been removed from Ubuntu 16.04 Unity.

You may want to try Vivaldi, but be warned, this is not Open-Sources.
ralplpcr
Level 6
Level 6

Post by ralplpcr »

Vivaldi is quite a decent browser - very similar to what Opera *used* to be, before the corporate mucky-mucks messed it up! It occasionally hiccups (especially with certain ads), but for the most part is very stable.

Just as an additional $0.02, in Firefox you can pull up the "File, Edit..." menu bar simply by pressing the ALT key whenever you wish. ;)
Seff

Post by Seff »

Nice answers, all. I might just try Ubuntu again...
Just as an additional $0.02, in Firefox you can pull up the "File, Edit..." menu bar simply by pressing the ALT key whenever you wish. ;)
I didn't know that. Which leads me back to my main reason- it seems like an obscure process contacting a real person at Mozilla, whereas with Vivaldi I just load their website and click 'Forums'.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Seff wrote:Which leads me back to my main reason- it seems like an obscure process contacting a real person at Mozilla
Everybody decides for himself about the criteria. Saying that I have the impression, that you are not aware about mozillazine and the many other dedicated Firefo-forums.
ugly
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ugly »

Vivaldi.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Seff wrote:Thank you both. And Jerry- I thought it was very rude of Mozilla to hide the thing without first telling me. (Maybe they did, in the release notes? If so, why not add a link somewhere prominent?) Things like that bother me- indeed, one reason I'm not using Ubuntu is because the minimize, maximize and close buttons are on the left-hand side. Oops.

I'm looking into using Vivaldi and/or Midori as they seem to be more forthcoming with information and Vivaldi has a forum that's quite easy to find.
Yea, it was rude of Mozilla. :shock: I haven't used it in quite some time now.

Forgot to mention that one other reason I use Chrome is that I have an Android tablet. I enter everything (contacts, calendar events, and bookmarks) through my Android and have everything else (my home laptop, work desktop) synced to get my info.
Chemical_Ali
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Chemical_Ali »

I switched to Palemoon and have not looked back. Firefox also has an addon called 'Classic Theme Restorer', which has tons of options to make Firefox look great again.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

Chemical_Ali wrote: tons of options to make Firefox look great again.
Tastes and colors are really personal. For me Firefox in it's current configuration looks really great. :wink:
arvY99
Level 3
Level 3

Re: [Solved] Alternatives to Firefox

Post by arvY99 »

Vivaldi, Palemoon, both are (very) good!
Just missing the 'old Opera' bookmark manager...
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

[...] Firefox in it's current configuration looks really great.
Confirmed, it does. :lol:

(Click image to enlarge. Press <alt><cursor_left> to return here.)
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

It's only a question of taste. I like the new design. I don't need a toolbar with favorites. I don't need a menu bar. I like the fact that the webpage cover almost the full screen. :wink:
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

karlchen wrote:
[...] Firefox in it's current configuration looks really great.
Confirmed, it does. :lol:

The bad news: This attempt with Custom Theme Restorer will - following the known plans by Mozilla - end with the release of FF 57, which is scheduled for 14th November this year. CTR will stop to work with this release, see here. It seems, that at best a part of the accommodations, which CTR does, will be doable with the new API in FF 57. See also here. (Aris is the developer of CTR.)
The good news: With Firefox ESR it will - at least for some more time - continue to work.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hi, Cosmo.,

thank you very much for providing these links. Looks like something I will be following up on.
I am aware that the end of CTR as we have known it is near. :cry:
Looks like Pale Moon might be the winner. Pale Moon might be my future Firefox. Pale Moon Future Roadmap :D

Cheers,
Karl
Lifeline
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

If you like old versions of Firefox, you may also like not just Pale Moon but SeaMonkey too.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Here is a (incomplete) list and discussion of other extensions, which will get abandoned.

Return to “Software & Applications”