Old Compaq Presario 2500 Laptop

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nano00

Old Compaq Presario 2500 Laptop

Post by nano00 »

Hi all:

I have tried to install linux mint on my old laptop (works ok with windows XP) and it is impossible. The laptop freezes to one point, so I cannot run Linux. I have also tried with ubuntu, suse, and kubuntu (which works but really really slow).

Do you think my laptop is too old to run Linux mint?. Is there another light version to use?

Thanks and regards

Ignacio
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rivenought

Re: Old Compaq Presario 2500 Laptop

Post by rivenought »

How much RAM do you have? That is my first thought.

To run the Mint 6 GNOME Live CD, you really need 512 MB, but once it is installed, it will run on 256 MB.
nano00

Post by nano00 »

I have checked the memory and only have 256 Mb.
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

I have one machine that has 256 MB of RAM and Mint 6 runs just fine on it. However, the GNOME Live CD was slow as syrup. I took my Mint 5 Xfce Live CD, used the partition editor to set up my partitions and give a /swap file for Mint 6 to use. I switched discs, booted Mint 6, and I was able to install without difficulty. This machine is only used for email and web browsing, so the amount of RAM + GNOME has not been a problem.

Now, the Xfce version of Mint is much lighter weight, as well as the Fluxbox version being even lighter, I do believe. All of these versions benefit from Mint underneath, but with different desktops. Those may be a better fit with your hardware. You may wish to test them out and see what you think.
nano00

Post by nano00 »

Thanks a lot for your comments, really appreciated.

Ignacio

Return to “Beginner Questions”