What other distros have you played with recently?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bbaker6212
Level 5
Level 5

Re: What other distros have you played with recently?

Post by bbaker6212 »

Fred Barclay wrote:
DeMus wrote:Manjaro. Why? It is fast:
Very happy I discovered Manjaro and took the plunge.
Yep, Manjaro is a super-nice distro. :)

Personal opinion question here, DeMus. I've used Manjaro and Arch several times over the past years, but I've always shied away from sticking with 'em long-term for a few nagging security doubts.
One thing I really like about Debian (and LMDE) is that there are so many eyes on the Debian code before it makes it to Stable. There are the Debian security and development teams, the bughunters, the ordinary users who examine code for fun or because they're trying to track down a bug... you get the idea. I feel pretty safe trusting the Debian code base for my personal use. It does get a bit boring, as you say, but right now I'm short on time and boring is good!

Manjaro and Arch, on the other hand (if I understand it correctly) trust the upstream developers much more. That means that bugs, accidental security holes, and whatnot will get pushed as updates, right? Now I'm assuming that none of the upstream devs are malicious - ie all mistakes are honest mistakes, not purposeful vulnerabilities. But still, a security vulnerability is a vulnerability regardless of why it exists. My concern is that by running a rolling distro like Arch or Manjaro, I'm making myself more open to attack through these (short-lived, hopefully) vulnerabilities.

Are these concerns valid in your opinion?

I hit a problem installing multi-boot of Manjaro 17.0 Xfce along side Linux Mint Mate 18.1 - a Grub incompatibility problem between Mint and Manjaro that I think is fairly well known now on the Manjaro forum... viewtopic.php?f=90&t=228974&start=40#p1289548
Linux Mint XFCE 21.1 , Windows 11, Pop!_OS 22.04 Acer Aspire 5 A515-57 (linux-probe), Core i5-1235U, 16GB RAM
Lenovo Ideapad 330S-15IKB (linux-probe), Core i5-8250U, 20GB RAM
DeMus

Post by DeMus »

bbaker6212 wrote: I hit a problem installing multi-boot of Manjaro 17.0 Xfce along side Linux Mint Mate 18.1 - a Grub incompatibility problem between Mint and Manjaro that I think is fairly well known now on the Manjaro forum... viewtopic.php?f=90&t=228974&start=40#p1289548
True. I also did not manage to have a dual boot when one of the OS'es is Manjaro, but .... when one is Manjaro you don't need a dual boot. Why would you want that? It can only get worse.
Lemongrass38

Post by Lemongrass38 »

DeMus wrote:
bbaker6212 wrote: I hit a problem installing multi-boot of Manjaro 17.0 Xfce along side Linux Mint Mate 18.1 - a Grub incompatibility problem between Mint and Manjaro that I think is fairly well known now on the Manjaro forum... viewtopic.php?f=90&t=228974&start=40#p1289548
True. I also did not manage to have a dual boot when one of the OS'es is Manjaro, but .... when one is Manjaro you don't need a dual boot. Why would you want that? It can only get worse.
My partitions:

30 GB Arch (the boot is here)
30 GB Debian
30 GB Manjaro
400 GB data
10 GB swap.

I guess a backup OS will never hurt anyone. :)

Note: during Manjaro install, I chose manual partitioning as always.
DeMus

Post by DeMus »

Lemongrass38 wrote: My partitions:

30 GB Debian
30 GB Manjaro
400 GB data
10 GB swap.

True, but on the other hand I have a full backup of my Manjaro setup and place it back in 2.7 minutes (yes, the restore software showed me that) so why do I need something else? I can do everything with the programs I find in the Manjaro repos, plus a few (3 or 4) from the AUR. And I do have "a lot" of software installed, but it is all there. No need for anything else. No ppa's, certainly no Wine, although to be honest, isn't the AUR similar to ppa's? I love Manjaro and chances are great it will remain my distro for the next years. Especially now that KDE has matured. It works fast, just as fast as XFCE, uses considerable less memory, same as XFCE, so why settle for something less than perfect when you can have it all?
bbaker6212
Level 5
Level 5

Post by bbaker6212 »

DeMus wrote:
Well in my case I had already been running LM for a long time and only was trying out different distro's on a USB drive with persistent data (non Live-USB).
I found Manjaro works great on USB and so decided to make a new partition for it and try it on my SSD disk. Of course many people will want to keep a Windows dual-boot or multi-boot when there is a Windows app they need to run that does not exist on Linux. This is my case. And it's a graphics editing package that does not run well in a VM and not at all on Wine. Now I have triple-boot working fine Mint/Manjaro/Win10
Linux Mint XFCE 21.1 , Windows 11, Pop!_OS 22.04 Acer Aspire 5 A515-57 (linux-probe), Core i5-1235U, 16GB RAM
bbaker6212
Level 5
Level 5

Post by bbaker6212 »

DeMus wrote:
Lemongrass38 wrote: My partitions:

30 GB Debian
30 GB Manjaro
400 GB data
10 GB swap.

True, but on the other hand I have a full backup of my Manjaro setup and place it back in 2.7 minutes (yes, the restore software showed me that) so why do I need something else? I can do everything with the programs I find in the Manjaro repos, plus a few (3 or 4) from the AUR. And I do have "a lot" of software installed, but it is all there. No need for anything else. No ppa's, certainly no Wine, although to be honest, isn't the AUR similar to ppa's? I love Manjaro and chances are great it will remain my distro for the next years. Especially now that KDE has matured. It works fast, just as fast as XFCE, uses considerable less memory, same as XFCE, so why settle for something less than perfect when you can have it all?

Which backup/restore app are you using? KDE is one of the few I have not played with yet. What do you like better about KDE than XFCE? Is it just the graphics of the UI you prefer better - meaning it's just an aesthetics thing, or what are the other features you like better?
DeMus

Post by DeMus »

To be honest I find XFCE something from the past. Plasma 5 is sparkling, it is shining, the programs delivered with it work great. Take for example Dolphin the file-manager. Superior to all others. You can configure it just the way you want it, it has double panels which make it very easy to move or copy files/folders from one place to another, including of course network locations, it can open a terminal in the location you are currently in, it can give you lots of info about the files and folders, both inside the panel as well as in the right column of the screen, it gives previews of all major file-extensions including movies, pictures, text files, pdf files, short cut key combinations to switch between list, detail and icon view, hidden files of course can be made visible, colors of folders can be changed one by one to distinguish them form others which makes it easy to find them, etc, etc, etc.
XFCE, as well as Cinnamon and Mate are dull. There is absolutely nothing interesting about them. At least that is my opinion.
Lemongrass38

Post by Lemongrass38 »

I find this topic becoming more and more like a Debian-Manjaro-Arch & KDE-Xfce topic. :)

As for me, I like Xfce. My Arch Xfce looks just as my Debian Xfce, because I don't care too much about the "look" (even though this look is a bit boring). This is my workhorse computer with my Windows 10 VM. It's more than 1.5 years old, and it wasn't among the best when bought (it's still good), so I just wish to speed everything up. :)

As for file managers, I like Xfe. It opens in about 0.6 s on my Arch, and knows a lot of configurations too (despite of its look). I like other file managers too, but I wish my file manager and everything else to load asap.

I've never tried KDE. I'm sure I would like that too, but I just don't wish to spend time on trying distros now. :D

Btw my thoughts on Manjaro: it's a good, well-contsructed distro.
bbaker6212
Level 5
Level 5

Post by bbaker6212 »

DeMus wrote:To be honest I find XFCE something from the past. Plasma 5 is sparkling, it is shining, the programs delivered with it work great. Take for example Dolphin the file-manager. Superior to all others. You can configure it just the way you want it, it has double panels which make it very easy to move or copy files/folders from one place to another, including of course network locations, it can open a terminal in the location you are currently in, it can give you lots of info about the files and folders, both inside the panel as well as in the right column of the screen, it gives previews of all major file-extensions including movies, pictures, text files, pdf files, short cut key combinations to switch between list, detail and icon view, hidden files of course can be made visible, colors of folders can be changed one by one to distinguish them form others which makes it easy to find them, etc, etc, etc.
XFCE, as well as Cinnamon and Mate are dull. There is absolutely nothing interesting about them. At least that is my opinion.
Cool. I downloaded the Manjaro KDE ISO. I'll check it out on USB drive first.
thom_A
Level 4
Level 4

Post by thom_A »

I used to try out every distro that piqued my interest. I pretty much have settled with Linux Mint 18.1, Xfce, Cinnamon, KDE. And I only try out Ubuntu-based distros because that's what I'm familiar with, not to mention the massive amounts of resources and support. Every time I try out non-Ubuntu distros I always come across issues that are absolute deal breakers. I can't waste my time trying out distros that seem to be never ending WIPS for decades. I simply don't see any more point. One essential app I use don't even release any other Linux flavor other than Ubuntu-based, aside from Win and Mac.
DeMus

Post by DeMus »

bbaker6212 wrote: Cool. I downloaded the Manjaro KDE ISO. I'll check it out on USB drive first.
That's the way to do it. Have fun.
DeMus

Post by DeMus »

thom_A wrote:One essential app I use don't even release any other Linux flavor other than Ubuntu-based, aside from Win and Mac.
Which one might that be?
thom_A
Level 4
Level 4

Post by thom_A »

DeMus wrote:Which one might that be?
I used it when I paint and draw in Krita.
http://www.pureref.com/download.php

It's not the only one. There are others which I have to recall like a board game I use when relaxing, which can be had in Mint's software center in GUI. I'm at a stage where I can't be influenced with whatever good things are being said about Debian and Arch-based distros. I've installed them, run them, and I saw no significant increase in speed, and this thing about security doesn't even have any documented proof. It's an overrating of something that's not even there.
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

thom_A wrote:
DeMus wrote:Which one might that be?
I used it when I paint and draw in Krita.
http://www.pureref.com/download.php

It's not the only one. There are others which I have to recall like a board game I use when relaxing, which can be had in Mint's software center in GUI. I'm at a stage where I can't be influenced with whatever good things are being said about Debian and Arch-based distros. I've installed them, run them, and I saw no significant increase in speed, and this thing about security doesn't even have any documented proof. It's an overrating of something that's not even there.
Hi thom_A
I am using manjaro right now and have krita running on it I use the appimage which krita provides now so you get the latest updated version which also has guides now and runs on qt5 which manjaro has, the software center in mint has the older version (I know because I used it) and I tried the appimage which ran slower because of the qt5 issues which could be manually fixed if you want to do it or just sticker with the older version in the software manager. I perfer the appimage version for backups and it is the newest version you can check it out here: https://krita.org/en/download/krita-desktop/
I also use it quite a bit.
I don't know if you know David Revoy or deevad he changed for the same reason he wrote a good write up to give more details about it in the comments also https://www.davidrevoy.com/article316/u ... orkstation

one main part is why he switch
UPDATE July 2016 : Due to poor stability and outdated Qt to run Krita 3.0 in good condition, I left Ubuntu 16.04 with the Cinnamon desktop to a Manjaro XFCE install for my workstation...
He uses krita extensively (actually a lot more then I do), so Krita actually runs on anything but the ones in the repositories are outdated and a lot has been changed, actually the changes were so much it is one the main the main reasons I tried Manjro to make it more comaptable with the newer version of Krita and to make it run smoother, I had issues running the appimage on mint with the older qt's and the brushes lagged way to much for my liking.
If the 2.9 version (I think that's what version was in the software manger is) is good enough for you then yup that will run smoothly enough (I used it) but not the updated version until the qt's are updated, it just lagged way to much.
as far as speed goes I do find it faster but I also dropped down to xfce to gain even more speed
I'm not trying to convince you to leave mint, I love mint myself, just correcting the krita thing.
I also should say the other reason I am using it is because of the rolling release which i prefer , debian is too outdated for my needs or I would use lmde

If you want to test the lag in the brushes try a graphic novel page size 7 inches x 10.5 inches and try to use the brushes and see what happens or 2100px x 3150px whichever you prefer.
The newest version of krita is also in the manjaro main repository if you like installing it. vs 3.1.2

Hope it helps you out
Sam
thom_A
Level 4
Level 4

Post by thom_A »

samriggs wrote:Hi thom_A
I am using manjaro right now and have krita running on it I use the appimage which krita provides now so you get the latest updated version which also has guides now and runs on qt5 which manjaro has, the software center in mint has the older version (I know because I used it) and I tried the appimage which ran slower because of the qt5 issues which could be manually fixed if you want to do it or just sticker with the older version in the software manager. I perfer the appimage version for backups and it is the newest version you can check it out here: https://krita.org/en/download/krita-desktop/
I also use it quite a bit.
I've been using appimages (not only Krita) ever since they switched to it. My post in another forum probably hastened it:
Why am I getting an old version (stable) when I install it on Linux Mint (KDE)?
This is what's in Krita.org, download site:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install krita
And the version that is installed is 2.8.5, not 2.9.x
It's mind-boggling to me that a graphics app made specifically for KDE is not getting the latest version and takes years to get the latest ones.
Been using Linux for almost a year now, but I'm new to Krita. Version differences are important when you're following new tutorials.
Thera, one of Krita's developers response (she uses Ubuntu):
It's why we're going to move over to appimages. Mint 17 is still Ubuntu 14.04, so it gives you the applications from 2014. 2014 is as has been put, the dark ages when it comes to applications like Krita. On top of that, if you're on Debian, you need access to certain versions of ilmbase and lcms, which are color management dependancies and deal with the hi-bitdepth stuff.(And at some point, their automated system didn't want to build Krita because someone put Lena into our unittests back in 2007, but that is resolved now)

For mint you are indeed best off deinstalling krita, adding the krita lime repo, and installing krita-2.9.

And while building Krita on Linux is so easy a five-year-old who can read and type can do it (http://www.davidrevoy.com/article193/gu ... x-for-cats), it's still pretty frustrating to tell Debian users that, so I'll be happy to just had people a portable package and send them on their way.

Though, the official foundation mail still gets messages from people asking where the 3.0 pre-alpha for their distro is.

Now for some news: Someone added CSV import/export which is compatible with TVpaint. We also have quicklook, windows shell extensions and dolphin extensions for reading *.kra files coming up for the final release. What this means is that you'll be able to get little thumbnails of your kra files in 3.0 :)
thom_A
Level 4
Level 4

Post by thom_A »

samriggs wrote:I don't know if you know David Revoy or deevad he changed for the same reason he wrote a good write up to give more details about it in the comments also https://www.davidrevoy.com/article316/u ... orkstation
I have seen that one a year ago and I did exactly how he added a Cinnamon desktop on top of Ubuntu. I've tried a lot of distros and always end up with Mint. And I see no more reason to switch to anything because all of the apps I use work with no issues. It's also about familiarity like installation, knowing what to do when things go wrong, where to find help, etc. I just see Mint different from other Ubuntu-based distros. It filters out canonical stuff which you normally see in others. At least that's what I see.
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

as a matter of fact:

Code: Select all

System:    Host: toaster Kernel: 3.16.0-4-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: Cinnamon 2.2.16  
           Distro: Debian GNU/Linux 8
Description:	Debian GNU/Linux 8.7 (jessie)
Codename:	jessie
Filesystem created:       Mon Mar 13 09:54:43 2017
Ditched Xfce after 7 years. Ditched Firefox and tBird also.
Wiped all fixed drives and went "native", Debian.
Cinnamon because gnome3 cant' figure out I need a blank screen for my Displays?

Stable is the Word around the way,

And Yes, the Arch Wiki is one of the best there is, for any distribution that wants Documentation "done right" - That's the Example. IMO.

Just sayin'

References:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/cinnamon
Lemongrass38

Post by Lemongrass38 »

For those interested:

I have talked about Fred's thoughts about security in Arch and Debian on the Arch forums. They replied:
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php ... 3#p1698153
sammiev

Post by sammiev »

Lemongrass38 wrote:For those interested:

I have talked about Fred's thoughts about security in Arch and Debian on the Arch forums. They replied:
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php ... 3#p1698153
Hi,

Your link is dead. :(
Lemongrass38

Post by Lemongrass38 »

sammiev wrote:Your link is dead. :(
Whoops. The link isn't wrong, actually. What is missing is that you need to register on the Arch Forums. Sorry, I forgot to tell that. As I've seen, Arch Forums have a part (Try This subforum) that's visible only to registered members (who are logged in :) ). For me it's working.

"Linkless path":
Arch Forums > Try This > What was your distro(s) before Arch Linux? > end of topic.

I've managed to make a little off-topic talk there.

Return to “Chat about Linux”