Replacing Vista with Linux OS on Toshiba A00

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Oldgeekguy

Replacing Vista with Linux OS on Toshiba A00

Post by Oldgeekguy »

I have an old laptop running Vista Home Basic. It has 2 gig of ram,and a 60 gig hard drive, Intel Celeron(R) M CPU 430 @ 1.73GHz 1.73GHz 32 bit Operating System. I was thinking of replacing the Vista OS with a Linux OS of some kind. What is recommended for this old machine? The Vista OS is super slow,and I hate it. I am not that computer literate,so if someone could point me to a website that could help me,I would be grateful!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Replacing Vista with Linux OS on Toshiba A00

Post by JerryF »

I was trying to look up your Toshiba A00 on the web, but can't find it. Is there another number for the model somewhere?
chrisuk

Post by chrisuk »

I don't think your CPU supports 64 bit instructions, so you'll need a 32 bit Operating System... check the specs of the CPU at the Intel website, or just type the CPU model into Google. You'll then need to download ISOs and burn/write to DVD or USB Stick. I'd start with MX Linux. Just boot your Computer from the DVD or USB Stick and check it supports all of your hardware... and how responsive it is. If everything is to your satisfaction (be sure... play with the OS for a while) install it.

Instructions on burning the ISO can be found by searching the MX Forum (or this forum).

Keep checking this thread, as others will advise different Linux Distros, although if you need 32 bit it will limit your choice.
TooMuchTime

Post by TooMuchTime »

Is this your laptop? If so, Mint Xfce should run fine on it. Check the system requirements.

Code: Select all

Intel Celeron M 430 (1.73 GHz)
512 MB Memory 80 GB HDD
ATI Radeon Xpress 200M IGP
1280 x 800
Windows Vista Home Basic
Remember, that's a 32-bit processor so make sure to download the 32-bit version of Mint Xfce. Backup any data before you begin. With a 60GiB HD you will need to be somewhat judicious in your partitioning. A 1GiB boot partition and a 1.5GiB swap area with the remainder as your root partition should be fine. You should also backup your home folder regularly.
Tomgin5
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Tomgin5 »

I have 2 latops of a similar vintage with 60 GIG HD one a SSD. One a M430 processor in a 32 bit. The other a single core atom. I run one on LM18.1 cinnamon 32 and the other LM 17.0 ver2 cinnamon 32. They are both decidedly slower than the faster dual to quad core CPU's but they are both much faster than the XP they did have. WIFI and all!
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

I have run Mint 17/18 on similar spec computers. You will definitely want the XFCE desktop as it uses the least resources (RAM and CPU). I suspect that will give you better performance on that machine that Vista ever did. But, if that seems a little weak to run Mint, MX is another good choice, and for machines that are weaker still, antiX is quite good.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

so I've got a collection of X-Vista laptops, like this one, that I'm using right now.

they are all basically 32bit PCs, but can indeed run a 32bit PAE kernel,
which is great as a few of them have 4Gbs ram, rather than 3Gb ram.

otherwise, they all have similar spec's to what was mentioned.
- they all are running the LM17x Mate version of LinuxMint.
but they will eventually all get upgraded to LM18x Mate .. ..
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

Here is a way to test your options. Download a live version of Linux onto a USB stick and boot from there. You can then test the Linux distribution on your machine.

When you have the machine booted into Linux, you can use the Linux Mint administration applications or the ancient command line commands like:
http://www.binarytides.com/linux-comman ... ware-info/

The loading of code from the USB stick will be slow. After a program is loaded, the speed will depend on your computer. If you have a graphics chip in the machine, you can run something like Cinnamon and the slightly skinnier cousin MATE. When there is no graphics chip, you need the lighter weight XFCE or LXDE.

At an extreme, you could use the anorexic command line but after using something as modern as Vista, I am sure you do not want to revert to 1935.

For machines dating from the early days of Vista, your disk is about to go clunk. :cry: A disk upgrade will be the main hardware upgrade. Be sure to vacuum the junk out of the fan when you have the case open to replace the disk.

Return to “Beginner Questions”