[SOLVED] A calendar for Linux?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
turboscrew
Level 4
Level 4

[SOLVED] A calendar for Linux?

Post by turboscrew »

Does anyone have suggestions of simple local calendar programs?
That is: with just calendar functionalities without internet activities like calendar sharing, email and stuff.
Just calendar entries and reminders.
I'm using Cinnamon.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: A calendar for Linux?

Post by Moem »

As a browser add-on for Firefox, SeaMonkey and possibly others, I recommend ReminderFox. It's simple and effective. A calendar with reminders and to-do lists, nothing more, nothing less.
Bonus: cute icon! :wink:

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

The tiny little personal information manager (PIM) called Osmo. Calendar, Tasks, Contacts, and Notes. It's available for installation via Synaptic package Manager.
turboscrew
Level 4
Level 4

Post by turboscrew »

Thanks.
I'll try Osmo.

Do I have to leave Osmo open or does it have a daemon?
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Ranlendar is another option.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "turboscrew",

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

If I am not mistaken, Cinnamon has "Evolution" available which is an integrated "Personal Information Management (PIM)" system with calendars and more.

Check the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM) for other calendar options

"Rainlendar lite" or their paid for version.
http://www.rainlendar.net/cms/index.php

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
turboscrew
Level 4
Level 4

Post by turboscrew »

I installed evolution, and the first thing it wanted was my email account...
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "turboscrew",

There is nothing wrong with giving "Evolution" an email account information. Most personal information managers want an email for overall integration like email reminders, etc..., but you do not have to use their email functions if you do not want to, but you can use their Calendar and tasks, etc... It can sync to other online options if you use those as well, Like Google Mail (Gmail).

Thunderbird has a really nice "Lightning" calendar add-on that comes installed as part of Linux Mint 18.x and can be added in earlier Mint versions.

Hope this helps ...
Last edited by phd21 on Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
Penn

Post by Penn »

turboscrew wrote:Thanks.
I'll try Osmo.

You did say simple and local. Good choice. The other suggestions aren't bad but they aren't quite simple and/or are integrated with other stuff. Osmo does support .ics calendars so you can either import from other systems or find a downloadable file for something like holidays.
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Mine sits in the system tray, and starts up when I login to Mint. (all configurable in the preferences)
Preferences -> the little tool box in the upper right of any of the Osmo windows .. or .. right-click the Osmo icon in the system tray. :)
turboscrew
Level 4
Level 4

Post by turboscrew »

Yes. I have programs to do different things, and I don't want any integration.
And the last thing I need is sharing any info with sites, like outlook.com (I've had an account there since Hotmail was new).
Many of the sites are known about their "security". Outlook.com, Facebook, LinkedIn, ...
All of those have leaked a huge amount of personal info. One of the reasons, why I don't want them to know anything more through
different integrations...
(And I have other emails too for different purposes.)

It's bad enough that FB advertices me stuff that I've bought through a web store. And those things seem to mess up my
google searches too. (So where did FB get the information about my orders anyway?)
Last edited by turboscrew on Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "turboscrew",

You can always create and use an email just for this that does not link to other stuff, if you wanted.

Gnome Calendar - Simple (in the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM))
https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Calendar

5 of the Best Calendar Apps for Linux
https://www.maketecheasier.com/best-cal ... for-linux/

6 Best Calendar Apps for Linux Desktop
http://www.tecmint.com/best-calendar-ap ... x-desktop/

5 Best Calendar Apps for Linux Desktop
https://www.linux.com/learn/5-best-cale ... ux-desktop

Hope this helps ...
turboscrew
Level 4
Level 4

Post by turboscrew »

Thanks.
I'm trying out Osmo now.
The Gnome calendar might be another one to try.
The "n best calendar"-links I have already read.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "turboscrew",

I noticed that the "California" calendar is now in the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM) for Linux Mint 18.x and it looks nice and simple too.

I just installed "Gnome Calendar" and "California" and both are very simple, very nice, calendars with integration options available, "Gnome-Calendar" has a year view as well. They are both almost identical in look and feel.
eojl

Post by eojl »

Try KDE's KOrganizer.

Entries: Yes
Reminders: Yes, in background with daemon.
Penn

Post by Penn »

I forgot to mention, customizing the format of date and time in Osmo can be done but it helps to know the codes. http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/00 ... ftime.html

If you try any organizer or calendar (or any other program) that was written for a particular desktop environment (Cinnamon, Mate, XFCE, KDE, Gnome) pay attention to what is being installed along with it. When I was looking for a calendar I decided to try one that was a desklet meant for Gnome and I got Nautilus with it which I don't like or want (plus it didn't work anyway). KDE programs have a lot of dependencies many of which are already in a KDE install but any other environment will have to pull in a lot of additional stuff. That usually doesn't create issues but has been known to occasionally.
turboscrew
Level 4
Level 4

Post by turboscrew »

I'm using Cinnamon, and Osmo installation didn't seem to install any such stuff.
Only two libraries, I think.
turboscrew
Level 4
Level 4

Post by turboscrew »

Osmo seems to be almost what I need, but not quite...
It doesn't make a pop-up, so it would be easy for me to miss the notifications. :(
And gnome calendar doesn't seem to be in the repo... Not that it would be a big obstacle or anything...
I just wonder if it's worth the trouble...

Aha, gnome calendar seems to be replaced with California, except that California is for Gnome3.
And to my understanding Cinnamon is basically Gnome2? Or is it Gnome3 now?

Hmm, i read that California uses EDS, so maybe I just have to install Evolution. :-(

It starts to look like the "Unix ideology" is dead? (Not just because of this...)
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "turboscrew",

It would help to know more about your system setup, like which edition and version of Linux Mint you are using. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.

As I mentioned before "Gnome Calendar" and "California" calendars are already in the Linux Mint 18.x (Ubuntu 16.04) repositories (Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM), but I did not find them in the Linux Mint 17.x repositories.

Install California in Ubuntu 14.04 (Linux Mint 17.x)
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2014/05/cali ... -daily-ppa

Use the PPA or the deb file.
To install this using the PPA method, open a console terminal, type in, or copy & paste, each line below one by one:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:yorba/daily-builds
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install california

64-bit deb file
https://launchpad.net/~yorba/+archive/u ... _amd64.deb

32-bit deb file
https://launchpad.net/~yorba/+archive/u ... 1_i386.deb

Hope this helps ...
Penn

Post by Penn »

Cinnamon is based on Gnome 3 (but certainly no longer the same thing). I would recommend going with what is in the repo instead of that particular PPA because it is a daily build. That would mean at any given time untested code might be added which could make a previously stable install unstable. If the repo version doesn't work or is lacking a feature you could install the PPA version then disable the PPA but that would mean no more updates. Just thought I'd point out that daily builds aren't without some level of risk.

Return to “Software & Applications”