Is Cinnamon Mint 18.1 bloated?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon here
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Is Cinnamon Mint 18.1 bloated?

Post by linuxviolin » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:02 am

Penn wrote:I guess you either didn't notice or are just disregarding the comments from the 2 of us who are using LMDE (the "M" does stand for Mint).
I just answered to the OP who said his system "runs 244 processes with just the terminal running and freshly booted?"... :wink:
Penn wrote:So, yeah, my experience tells me the issue is the Ubuntu base and true Ubuntu.
An Ubuntu problem? Maybe, yes.
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)

ColdBoot
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ColdBoot » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:19 am

linuxviolin wrote:Hum, for comparison, I looked in Manjaro and I had:

Code: Select all

ps -e|wc -l
after several resumes after hibernation then several hours of use and Firefox with about ten tabs open...

So, this could be a Mint problem? :?:
The trick is to check it immediately after you wake the machine, then tell us what you saw in Manjaro. In Mint it takes a little while (somewhere around a minute) till the number is reduced.
Linux Mint Cinnamon 18.1
Intel G1820, DDR3 8GB, Nvidia GT720(2GB)

ColdBoot
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ColdBoot » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:19 am

Penn wrote: During those 2 days I did a wide variety of activities which I would think cover a normal spectrum of usage for most people.

Fedora based and Elementary take much longer to reach an unusable level,
Bear in mind that Elementary is also Ubuntu based. Maybe, you are not using the same applications sets in all distros. For example, I think that, from several versions back, Firefox is leaking a lot of memory when certain sites are browsed - 1MB per second, it's just using more and more even if you're not doing anything.
Linux Mint Cinnamon 18.1

Penn
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Penn » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:50 am

ColdBoot wrote:
Penn wrote: During those 2 days I did a wide variety of activities which I would think cover a normal spectrum of usage for most people.

Fedora based and Elementary take much longer to reach an unusable level,
Bear in mind that Elementary is also Ubuntu based. Maybe, you are not using the same applications sets in all distros. For example, I think that, from several versions back, Firefox is leaking a lot of memory when certain sites are browsed - 1MB per second, it's just using more and more even if you're not doing anything.
Elementary being Ubuntu based is part of why it seemed odd to me that it lasted longer than Ubuntu an Mint 17.3 or 18. I had heard somewhere along the line it was more of a Debian/Ubuntu hybrid base but everywhere but that one source said Ubuntu only so I just thought with the performance difference maybe there was something to it. Still, since the most I could get out of Elementary was to boot up in the morning and only use it almost until the day was over before reboot was necessary lends more to the possibility it is just the Ubuntu base of Mint that is bloated.

ColdBoot
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ColdBoot » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:24 pm

Try

sudo sh -c "sync; echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches"
once a day when you're about to suspend it, to see if it gets any better.
Linux Mint Cinnamon 18.1

linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:45 pm

ColdBoot wrote:The trick is to check it immediately after you wake the machine, then tell us what you saw in Manjaro. In Mint it takes a little while (somewhere around a minute) till the number is reduced.
You mean just after an hibernation or just after a boot? Or it's the same thing maybe?

After a boot, here is:

- just after boot:

ps -e|wc -l
- some seconds after:

ps -e|wc -l
- about 30' after again with Waterfox opens:

ps -e|wc -l
- and again some seconds later, always with Waterfox:

ps -e|wc -l
This is what you asked? :mrgreen:
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)

ColdBoot
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ColdBoot » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:43 am

No, not after hibernation but after suspend(sleep). Since I don't have a swap file I don't use hibernation but I use suspend a lot (much faster, btw) and that's how I noticed.

Anyway, the number falls down to around 160 after a while so there's no issue with that.

P.S. After writing the above and having closed Chrome and Libre Calc running in background, I've taken a look at my number and...

Linux Mint Cinnamon 18.1

deepakdeshp
Level 15
Level 15

Post by deepakdeshp » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:13 am

The figure is for a freshly booted Cinnamon 18.1 with just a terminal open.

ps -e|wc -l
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 19.2 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

ColdBoot
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ColdBoot » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:05 pm

deepakdeshp wrote:The figure is for a freshly booted Cinnamon 18.1 with just a terminal open.

ps -e|wc -l
Meaningless figure since it doesn't disclose what software you're running apart from what came pre-installed with the distro. Because I have 60 less after 45min. browsing in Chrome and terminal opened. Bloated? Hardly so but you've made a bloat of it.

Linux Mint Cinnamon 18.1

Return to “Cinnamon”