MintBox Mini Pro and Airtop Preview

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
JBHoren

Re: MintBox Mini Pro and Airtop Preview

Post by JBHoren »

Has there been any discussion about a larger-than-120GB SSD for the MintBox Mini Pro? Yes, I realize that prices for a 256GB SSD are below $200 -- some significantly so -- but it seems wasteful to just "pull and replace" the one supplied... all the moreso, if the buyer knows in advance that 120GB will be too small. Doesn't this defeat the intended purpose?
MikeF90000

Post by MikeF90000 »

JBHoren wrote:if the buyer knows in advance that 120GB will be too small.
I wouldn't worry about it too much. IMO if you are creating / storing critical data on a system I recommend adding a traditional 'rotating rust' HDD. Use the SSD for boot partitions.
The failure modes of consumer grade SSDs are not well known - they may die without warning. Of course, if you backup / mirror daily or better I rescind my recommendation :mrgreen: .
eyeball

Post by eyeball »

Is the CPU on these a really old model?

Searching on the i7 they list in the specs brings up articles like this from 2015:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2950704/ ... trick.html

The idea of a powerful silent PC that runs mint well and can handle games is really attractive to me (new mint user), but would like to get something with a bit more recent CPU.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Very nice review. Those small form factor desktops are astounding compared to the beasts all desktops were not long ago. BTW I bought a small form factor desktop off of ebay awhile back and it came with Mint Cinnamon OEM on it. That Mint OEM was a simple install and is quite handy.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”