Installing KDE on Macbook Pro 2009

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
djake

Installing KDE on Macbook Pro 2009

Post by djake »

I am trying to install linux mint 18.1 KDE on my macbook pro 13 inch 2009. I have tried installing with multiple USB drive's via the dd command in terminal. I boot the USB in refind, and the linux mint logo comes up with dots showing its working, but every time this comes up:
(initramfs) Unable to find a medium containing a live file system
I installed linux mint 18.1 cinnamon using the same methods on this computer, but I deleted it for various reasons, and am trying to install KDE now.
Any advice is appreciated :D
thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
TooMuchTime

Re: Installing KDE on Macbook Pro 2009

Post by TooMuchTime »

Let's start off by getting a look at that system. Boot into the LiveUSB, get to a terminal and run the following command:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
If you type, the letter F is a capital. Copy the output and post it back here between Code tags.

Remember, that's an EFI device. So you will need to make sure you install that way. Whether you dual boot or not, you will need to keep the UEFI partition that Apple creates when installing OSX. The Mint install will use that partition for it's own UEFI data. That's the safest way to install Mint on a Mac.

Here is the list of Mac start-up key commands. It might be worth your while to reset the NVRAM. Sometimes it helps to clear it.

Edit:

See this thread - viewtopic.php?f=46&t=241244 fabien85 has a very good grasp on installing Mint on a Mac.
fabien85
Level 7
Level 7

Post by fabien85 »

Hum, you are able to start booting the medium, which means there is no obvious problem.
That initramfs error is a bit above my limited experience. But I would think this is related to the ISO burning.
Can you reach the screen where you have the option to "check the integrity of the medium" ? If so, check it.
Also dd'ing the ISO to the stick does not give the same results as burning it with a software (and the result also depend on the software used). Try using Rufus (from windows, normally has the best results) or mintstick/usb-creator-gtk/usb-creator-kde (from Mint itself if you have one), or unetbootin (from OSX or linux).
Also try the Mint 17.3 ISO, it uses a different kernel series.

Also among the Mac startup key commands listed by TooMuchTime, you could use holding Alt/Option (⌥) : it gets you to the apple startup manager, which should also offer you an option to boot the live USB. That option will be called "EFI Boot" and have the logo of an external disk.
There is a small possibility that booting this way would work better than through refind (at least it's worth a try).
djake

Post by djake »

I asked my friend for help and he was able to get it working. I am not exactly sure what did it, but here is what the process:
The bootable USB that worked was 16GB and the original ones I tried were 2GB. It was made with UNetbootin, I tried that before and it didn't work, so I do not believe that is the problem.
When booting I opened the EFI boot loader, I do not think I tried this originally and that is what did it. As fabien85 said
fabien85 wrote:Also among the Mac startup key commands listed by TooMuchTime, you could use holding Alt/Option (⌥) : it gets you to the apple startup manager, which should also offer you an option to boot the live USB. That option will be called "EFI Boot" and have the logo of an external disk.
There is a small possibility that booting this way would work better than through refind (at least it's worth a try).
When booting holding the option key and booting there worked, then I booted the EFI version in refind and that also worked.

Thank you very much for the advice! :D
fabien85
Level 7
Level 7

Post by fabien85 »

Congrats.
I have heard of problems with some USB stick models, where the person solved it by just using another stick from another manufacturer.
Enjoy Mint !

Return to “Installation & Boot”