firefox 52

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
zipidachimp
Level 2
Level 2

firefox 52

Post by zipidachimp » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:42 am

Mint 17.3 : does anyone know why FF opens a dialog box whenever I click on some website, including google? it has become very annoying

michael louwe
Level 10
Level 10

Re: firefox 52

Post by michael louwe » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:59 am

@ zipid...

What does the dialog box says.?

If the dialog box is about remembering password, to get rid of the dialog box, you need to go to Firefox>Menu(= the hamburger icon) >Preference >Security and uncheck the relevant box for password login.

If it's about setting the default browser, go to >Preference >General and uncheck the relevant box.

TursonX
Level 3
Level 3

Post by TursonX » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:14 am

Hi.

Does "Uncheck the relevant box for password login" delete the logins/passwords database??
LM 18 Mate x64 » kernel 4.4.0-165-generic » MSI 760GM-P34 » video onboard Ati Radeon HD 3000 » AMD Athlon II X2 240 » 4GB RAM ddr3 hynix » HDD WD Sata II

michael louwe
Level 10
Level 10

Post by michael louwe » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:49 am

TursonX wrote:Hi.

Does "Uncheck the relevant box for password login" delete the logins/passwords database??
Yes. IOW, Firefox is not remembering your login details for your registered websites, ie usernames and passwords. You will have to enter your usernames and passwords for every login to your registered websites.
....... This Firefox feature seems very convenient but problem is, if Mozilla Firefox got hacked, your login details will fall into the hands of hackers. Same goes for Password Manager programs.

zipidachimp
Level 2
Level 2

Post by zipidachimp » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:59 am

these are the dialog boxes that open up far too frequently, very annoying:
1. 'this connection is not secure.... ' when logging with username and p'word in spite of the fact I've done it hundreds of times before
2. 'open link in new tab...
'open link in new private window..
'bookmark this link.....
all of the above are nonsense since if I wanted any of them, I would do it myself
These dialog boxes open all the time and are bloody annoying. I wish I could get them to stop! They started about 3 or so weeks ago.

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Moem » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:30 am

zipidachimp wrote: 2. 'open link in new tab...
'open link in new private window..
'bookmark this link.....
These sound like rightclick actions to me. Could your mouse be rightclicking by itself? If so, can you try a different mouse?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

dclement
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dclement » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:17 pm

zipidachimp wrote:[...]
1. 'this connection is not secure.... ' when logging with username and p'word in spite of the fact I've done it hundreds of times before
[...]
This is "new" in Firefox 52. To disable it, go to the about:config page, then
- search for "insecure_field_warning.contextual.enabled"; set it to "false";
You might then want to...
- search for "signon.autofillForms.http" and set it to "true"
if you'd like FF to autofill you login+PW as before.
(source)

HTH, Daniel

zipidachimp
Level 2
Level 2

Post by zipidachimp » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:51 am

Thanks for the help. I've suspected my mouse is worn out, I overuse it, very old, and I'll do the 'about config' thingy.
Meanwhile, I still believe 'not all updates are progress'! 8)
cheers!

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:32 am

Moem wrote:These sound like rightclick actions to me. Could your mouse be rightclicking by itself? If so, can you try a different mouse?
I was having similar problems. I'd click the left mouse button, and the computer would respond as if I had clicked the right button, or as if I had clicked both buttons. New mouse fixed that problem.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Return to “Newbie Questions”