Two search features that I can't find [SOLVED]

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gemk65
Level 3
Level 3

Two search features that I can't find [SOLVED]

Post by gemk65 »

I have recently switched from Windows to Linux. I have installed Linux Mint 18.1 Cinnamon, and I am very happy with it.
But I have not been able to perform two types of searches:

1. In Nemo File Manager, I don't see where I can search for a .doc file containing a specified text string (such as "2468").
2. In LibreOffice Writer, I don't see where I can search for a tab character or for a paragraph mark.

It appears to me that these features, which are available in MS Windows / MS Office, are not currently available in Linux Mint / LibreOffice, but I could be wrong.
If these search features are available in Linux Mint / LibreOffice, could someone tell me how to perform them?
If these search features are not yet available in Linux Mint / LibreOffice, can I make sure that the developers are aware of this issue?

By the way, I hope that I am posting a fresh query -- one that has not yet been raised. I am unable at present to make this determination because I have been unable to perform a search of the Linux Mint Forum website; my search was blocked by the Sucuri WebSite Firewall, and I suppose that this is related to the fact that I am in the process of upgrading my home-based router. Sorry if this topic has already been posted.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Two search features that I can't find

Post by JerryF »

I cannot answer question 1, but for question 2, you must use Find and Replace and the Regular Expressions option:
Capture_001.jpg
Capture_002.jpg
ColdBoot

Post by ColdBoot »

I recommend DocFetcher for searching within files i.e. question 1. It's portable, quick and not indexing everything like Windows does but only what you really need. There is a way to do it from command line also but find the way how when you feel like it as it is not quite simple.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Regarding #1:
This is not doable with nemo. You could use gnome-search-tool for searching for content, but: this will only work for text files and a view others (like html or rtf), but not for office documents or pdf.

I recommend DocFetcher for this purpose. I have provided a tutorial about the installation.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

gemk65 wrote:...By the way, I hope that I am posting a fresh query -- one that has not yet been raised. I am unable at present to make this determination because I have been unable to perform a search of the Linux Mint Forum website; my search was blocked by the Sucuri WebSite Firewall, and I suppose that this is related to the fact that I am in the process of upgrading my home-based router. Sorry if this topic has already been posted.
A lot of people have been getting Sucuri Website Firewall problem. I think you need to clear your brower's cache.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

I'm not sure if that search can be done from Nemo. There are, however, a couple of applications that will do that, or so I've been told. Somebody recently mentioned catfish and recoll for searching for files containing a specified text string. I have not yet used or installed either of them, but it's on my list of things to do. You might give those a try.

I don't have a clue about searching in LibreOffice for a Tab character. If nobody here is unable to answer that, there is a forum for LibreOffice, and I suspect somebody there would be able to help you. Or maybe in their documentation?

As for seeing the Sucuri page, that happens to many of us now and then. No idea why, although there has been some speculation on the forums about that. Usually trying again in a minute or two will work, although one time it took an hour or more for it to be fixed.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Here's how to do that search in LibreOffice:

https://ask.libreoffice.org/en/question ... -for-tabs/

https://ask.libreoffice.org/en/question ... s-in-calc/

Ask and ye shall receive!
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
gemk65
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Two search features that I can't find [SOLVED]

Post by gemk65 »

Hello JerryF, ColdBoot, and jimallyn --

Thank you all so much! I have designated this topic as "SOLVED".
gemk65
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Two search features that I can't find [SOLVED]

Post by gemk65 »

I forgot to thank you, too, Cosmo!

Return to “Software & Applications”