Video playback stutter on external monitor when lid closed on laptop

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jorgenask

Video playback stutter on external monitor when lid closed on laptop

Post by jorgenask »

Hi guys!
So I installed Linux Mint on my Laptop and experienced a strange issue.
Video playback works like a charm with no stuttering or tearing

But when I use my external monitor connected via HDMI, and the laptop lid is closed, every once in a while (every 10-15 seconds or so) the video (not the sound) will pause for like half a second and then resume like normal.

Now this only happens when connected to external monitor and lid is closed

If I watch the video on my external monitor with the lid open (screen on laptop disabled) there is no issue.

The laptop I have has intel HD graphics 515

Obviously I can just leave the lid open and avoid the issue that way, but it would be nice to find a solution

Anyone have an idea or a way to troubleshoot this ?

Thanks guys :)
jorgenask

Re: Video playback stutter on external monitor when lid closed on laptop

Post by jorgenask »

For whoever is interested, I might have found a workarround:

go to power settings and enable "Perform lid-closed action even with external monitors attached”

seemes a little counterproductive, but it keeps videos from stuttering when playing back on my external monitor when lid is closed.

A side effect of this I have found so far is that when you close the lid, the screen gets locked and you have to enter the password, but I can easily live with that

And by the way I forgot to mention that this is for Linux Mint 18.1 Cinnamon :)
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

Maybe a power-saving mode? Strange that enabling the lid-close option fixes it. I have my laptops set to "do nothing" when the lid is closed (essential as two cats own me) and have never had performance issues like this.

I'm not on 18.x yet so will be interested to see what happens when I do upgrade.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
jorgenask

Post by jorgenask »

Yeah its strange for sure ... I have reported the bug .. please let us know what happens when you uppgrade :)
vhite

Post by vhite »

I've just made an account to thank you! I've been looking for a solution to this annoying stuttering for ages!
Nesbit

Post by Nesbit »

This problem still occurs on Linux Mint 18.3!
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Are you sure it's not over heating a bit when you close the lid?
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

jorgenask wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:37 am please let us know what happens when you uppgrade :)
Err .. sorry for the long delay :oops:, but I installed LM18.2 KDE (64 Bit) a while back on my Acer Aspire One ES1-111M & recently started using it as a media centre when I was given a Sony Bravia 32" with HDMI (prior to that, only my Asus monitors would accept an HDMI input, and only via HDMI to DVI converters & both are connected to the Dell 1525) - and there appears to be no noticeable effect on video playback with the lid closed.

The machine is presently propped behind the TV & I do most of the admin remotely; I can try running stuff on it & seeing if there is any performance difference when opening or closing the lid. I'll also monitor temps while doing this, although they appear to be in the normal range. :)

System specs (I'm using the new inxi):

Code: Select all

brian@BG-Aspire-ES1-111M ~ $ inxi --full -z
System:    Host: BG-Aspire-ES1-111M Kernel: 4.15.0-15-generic x86_64 bits: 64 
           Console: tty 0 Distro: Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya (ETA: Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.8.9)
Machine:   Type: Laptop System: Acer product: Aspire ES1-111M v: V1.10 serial: <filter> 
           Mobo: Acer model: R2 v: Type2 - A01 Board Version serial: <filter> UEFI: Insyde 
           v: 1.10 date: 08/20/2014 
Battery:   ID-1: BAT1 charge: N/A condition: 30.3/29.9 Wh (101%) 
CPU:       Topology: Dual Core model: Intel Celeron N2840 bits: 64 type: MCP 
           L2 cache: 1024 KiB 
           Speed: 500 MHz min/max: 500/2582 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 505 2: 508 
Graphics:  Card-1: Intel Atom Processor Z36xxx/Z37xxx Series Graphics & Display 
           driver: i915 v: kernel 
           Display: server: X.org 1.18.4 driver: intel unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa 
           tty: 95x30 (ETA: resolution: 1360x768~60Hz)
           Message: Advanced graphics data unavailable in console. Try -G --display
           (ETA: OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Bay Trail v: 4.2 Mesa 17.2.8)
Audio:     Card-1: Intel Atom Processor Z36xxx/Z37xxx Series High Definition Audio 
           driver: snd_hda_intel 
           Sound Server: ALSA v: k4.15.0-15-generic 
Network:   Card-1: Qualcomm Atheros QCA9565 / AR9565 Wireless Network Adapter driver: ath9k 
           IF: wlp2s0 state: down mac: <filter> 
           Card-2: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet driver: r8169 
           IF: enp3s0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter> 
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 29.12 GiB used: 14.76 GiB (50.7%) 
           ID-1: /dev/mmcblk0 model: HBG4e size: 29.12 GiB 
Partition: ID-1: / size: 9.72 GiB used: 8.02 GiB (82.6%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/mmcblk0p3 
           ID-2: /boot size: 495.8 MiB used: 251.7 MiB (50.8%) fs: ext2 dev: /dev/mmcblk0p2 
           ID-3: /home size: 15.62 GiB used: 5.48 GiB (35.1%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/mmcblk0p4 
           ID-4: swap-1 size: 2.50 GiB used: 1015.2 MiB (39.7%) fs: swap 
           dev: /dev/mmcblk0p5 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 47.0 C mobo: N/A 
           Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A 
Info:      Processes: 216 Uptime: 31d 19h 14m Memory: 1.83 GiB used: 1.30 GiB (70.9%) 
           Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Shell: bash inxi: 3.0.15
I've added the graphics stuff not shown via TTY.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
extropian
Level 1
Level 1

Post by extropian »

jorgenask wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:14 pm For whoever is interested, I might have found a workarround:

go to power settings and enable "Perform lid-closed action even with external monitors attached”

seemes a little counterproductive, but it keeps videos from stuttering when playing back on my external monitor when lid is closed.

A side effect of this I have found so far is that when you close the lid, the screen gets locked and you have to enter the password, but I can easily live with that

And by the way I forgot to mention that this is for Linux Mint 18.1 Cinnamon :)
Just wanted to chime in here and say that this solved my problem! I was having the exact issue with not only video playback, but also playing games. I'm using a 2017 Thinkpad X1 Carbon on LMDE4.

Return to “Sound”