Is Mozilla/Linux still working on T-bird for Mint 18.1?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Mint Ryder

Post by Mint Ryder »

Hi folks, a Newbie here...

I had some issues when installing Thunderbird on my Mint 18.1 MATE. I looked all through the forums for help, and at that time I came across what appeared to be an Official Announcement. I *think* it was an official Linux Mint note to all. I just spent a half-hour trying to find it again and failed, but perhaps some of you good people will know. The announcement said "they" (I'm assuming both Linux and Mozilla) were well aware that T-bird could be buggy, slow, or simply take a screaming left turn into a stone wall on Mint 18.1. They said they were working on it and hoped to have it all fixed and working great fairly soon. I was delighted to read such an announcement. You never saw anything like that from the (ahem) other OS company, one of the large and growing number of reasons I love my Mint.

I read this about two months ago. I have utterly no idea how long it takes to adapt, configure, change, or alter a program such as Thunderbird, I wondered if work was still ongoing, or even started yet, or what the progress status was. I don't assume they're finished working on it, but I know when they do it'll be great.

Do any of you have any further information on the "Thunderbird-rebuild program" for Mint 18.1? This was T-bird, mind you, NOT Fossamail. I'm simply curious. I noted when looking for answers for my particular problem that several others were having issues with T-bird as well. Perhaps this will solve most, if not all, of the issues people are facing. I wish them great success, and have no doubt whatsoever they'll do a superb job.

I assume that announcement still exists somewhere but time limitations will keep me from looking more today. I couldn't even remember what forum I was on at the time. Typical Newbie, I was kind of surfing along everywhere when I saw it. I still say it's simply not possible to do that for ten or fifteen minutes at a time and NOT learn something valuable. So--once again--a big thanks to all moderators, volunteers, and anyone who knows more about Linux than me...which is the vast majority of the inhabitants of the Milky Way galaxy. :lol:

Mint Ryder
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Is Mozilla/Linux still working on T-bird for Mint 18.1?

Post by JerryF »

I don't think Mozilla has been working on Thunderbird for a while because they've been concentrating on Firefox.
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Post by coffee412 »

Im not aware of any problems with Thunderbird. I run it on 18.1 with no problems at all. In fact, It runs 24/7 on my system.

You could start it in a terminal and when it fails take a look at the output and post it here. Might give some clues to what is going on.
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
Dell PE T610, Dell PE T710
- List your hardware Profile: inxi -Fxpmrz
MeshCentral * Virtualbox * Debian * InvoiceNinja * NextCloud * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Nobody can claim for being able to read each and everything, so it is possible, that you read something, what I did not read. But the likelihood is rather low, because I spend every day much time to not miss anything official by the Mint team.

What I really do not understand are the issues when installing Thunderbird. It is installed by default. How can this create install issues?
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

P.S. I haven't had any issues with Thunderbird. It's my email app for 4 accounts.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Hello Mint Ryder...
Mint Ryder wrote:Hi folks, a Newbie here...
So, first off, I'm going to echo cosmo's comment and ask, why and how, specifically, are you attempting to install Thunderbird?

Secondly, as others here have also said, I am not aware of there being any particular problems with Thunderbird. I don't really use it myself since I just don't have a need for it, but when there are issues with software, they tend to be significant enough that most will be familiar with them.

Third, what specifically are the issues you're having with it? It's really hard to get help if you don't actually tell anyone what the problem is.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Mint Ryder wrote:Hi folks, a Newbie here...
BTW, Mint Ryder, if worst comes to worst and you can't resolve whatever issues you're having with Thunderbird, you could always try Evolution.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

Portreve wrote:you could always try Evolution.
Or Icedove.
Tomgin5
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Tomgin5 »

68 installs of LM 17.3 and 18.0 and 18.1 and no Thunderbird issues whatsoever. Even after updates.
Speaking of Thunderbird. One of the installs for a friend in an Asus PC1001PX single core atom N450 running Lm 18.1 Cinnamon 64 :D
was afraid of Thunderbird because his e-mail "Easystreet.com" no longer had a brick and morter site and his e-mail was located in a Windex 365 server. He was having difficulty getting to them on a DSL modem and did not hear that they ad changed their status. I sat him down at a local coffee shop that has WIFI roadband and had him do the keyboard. He was connected thru Thunderbird in 20 seconds and everything was lightening fast. I did convince him to delete about 90% of the e-mail as they were spam. 450 gone in 20 minutes. :mrgreen:
Rocky Bennett
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Rocky Bennett »

I'm running Mint Cinnamon 18.1 with Thunderbird, no issues at all over here.
daveinuk
Level 7
Level 7

Post by daveinuk »

Ugghh? Is it not already included in 18.x ? Think my desktop's on 17.3 and no issues with TB except a rogue filter sending a few mails to deleted instead of inbox !
shengchieh

Post by shengchieh »

Habitual wrote:
Portreve wrote:you could always try Evolution.
Or Icedove.
Or clawmail.

One thought. Have you tried removing TB (thunderbird), and then, installing TB. Your system already had TB installed. If you tried to install TB, you may be having library conflicts. Remove everything related to TB, then
do a fresh install of TB (through synaptic package manager or software manager (not the geeky terminal) - easier for newbies.

Sheng-Chieh
Rocky Bennett
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Rocky Bennett »

I think that Mint Rider (the OP) has fixed his problem because he has never posted back.
Octi

Post by Octi »

How about the new version, 52. When will it become available in the repo?
Rocky Bennett
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Rocky Bennett »

Octi wrote:How about the new version, 52. When will it become available in the repo?

It doesn't make any difference because when you download whatever version is available through the repos it will automatically update right away. I am running an older version of Linux Mint and the version of Firefox that is installed is 52.0.2.
Octi

Post by Octi »

I was talking about Thunderbird. Firefox is ok, and it updates regularly.
NoahsArk
Level 1
Level 1

Post by NoahsArk »

Hi!

My First post so please be gentle. :P

I've been running Thunderbird 45.8.0. It works fine but I have noticed a serious security flaw with password protection. It doesn't work!

If I enter a password to protect the emails what it does is this: When you open it up it asks for the password thus: "Please enter the master password for the Software Security Device". It shows the last view of all the emails. If I click on one of the emails with the enter password box open and without entering a password it allows me to read the email. Further, if I click the "Cancel" button a few times the enter password box goes away. In other words, I can read all the emails across various accounts without using the password.

I am aware that Mozilla have given up on Thunderbird and am wondering if their is another email client that is up to date and secure?

Any advice appreciated.

Thank You
Linux - Il est interdit d' interdire
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

The password in TB was never made to limit access to the locally stored mails (or address book and more). It only protects the stored passwords for the access to the mail-server. This is by design.
NoahsArk
Level 1
Level 1

Post by NoahsArk »

Thank You for your prompt reply Cosmo. Much appreciated.

I am on a very steep learning curve albeit a little slow because of age. One bit at a time.

Enjoying reading the forum and people are ever so helpful.

Thank You

:)
Linux - Il est interdit d' interdire

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”