[SOLVED] Brother DCP-J125 receiving data but not printing

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Ranthe
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Ranthe »

My father is trying to get his Brother DCP-J125 to print over USB from Linux 17.3 Cinnamon, and has installed the drivers from the Brother website using their printer driver tool.
The drivers have successfully installed with no apparent issues.

When a print job is submitted the printer indicates on the printer console screen that it is receiving data, but nothing is printed.
Attempting to use the scanner via Simple Scan results in the message "Failed to scan. Unable to connect to scanner."

The printer works fine on Windows 10. So the issue appears to be related to the drivers somehow.

We ran the Printer "Troubleshooter", and the output is listed here. Any ideas as to what is going on?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Brother DCP-J125 receiving data but not printing

Post by pdc_2 »

If you go to the PRINTERS folder from Menu to Administration to Printers; and open it; is there an icon for the DCP-J125 please? Can you right-click on it, and select properties and do a screenshot please? you find screenshot from Menu ..accessories ..Take Screenshot and if you use the third option: select area to grab

then can you copy this command below; paste it into a terminal; and copy and paste the result back here please
sudo dpkg -l | grep Brother
_________

If I was looking for drivers for this device, I would go here http://support.brother.com/g/b/download ... all&os=128 and for the driver install tool I would go here http://support.brother.com/g/b/download ... &type3=625

the commands would be
cd Downloads
sudo gunzip linux-brprinter-installer-2.1.1-1.gz
bash linux-brprinter-installer-2.1.1-1 DCP-J125
and I am guessing that is what happened?
Ranthe
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Ranthe »

pdc_2 wrote:If you go to the PRINTERS folder from Menu to Administration to Printers; and open it; is there an icon for the DCP-J125 please? Can you right-click on it, and select properties and do a screenshot please? you find screenshot from Menu ..accessories ..Take Screenshot and if you use the third option: select area to grab
Here's a link to the screenshot.
pdc_2 wrote:then can you copy this command below; paste it into a terminal; and copy and paste the result back here please
sudo dpkg -l | grep Brother

Code: Select all

ii  brscan-skey                                                 0.2.4-1                                             amd64        Brother Linux scanner S-KEY tool
ii  brscan3                                                     0.2.13-1                                            amd64        Brother Scanner Driver
ii  dcpj125cupswrapper                                          1.1.3-1                                             i386         Brother CUPS Inkjet Printer Definitions
ii  dcpj125lpr                                                  1.1.3-1                                             i386         Brother lpr Inkjet Printer Definitions
ii  dcpj140wlpr                                                 1.1.3-6                                             i386         Brother lpr Inkjet Printer Definitions
ii  printer-driver-ptouch                                       1.3-8                                               amd64        printer driver Brother P-touch label printers
orpimu1947

Post by orpimu1947 »

http://www.brother.com/cgi-bin/agreemen ... nglish_gpl
on this page and a page up before, you will find the drivers for Brother printers.
download and proceed opened automatical in my Mint after admission.
all my other trying did not succeed ( instructions from other internet sites)
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

thanks Ranthe;

your screenshot is really interesting: the system is running the "Foomatic/HL125 driver " ........ check it out ........ if it was using the Brother driver, it would say that;

so the Brother drivers are installed; but not being used

you don't say but I am guessing from the drivers that your dad has a 32bit system installed? .
uname -a
in a terminal will clarify

I would suggest running the Brother install tool; (howto in a previous post): it should do the necessary for you; ..... looks like drivers already installed
Ranthe
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Ranthe »

My father has the 64-bit installation of Mint 17.3 Cinnamon - that's what was on the LiveDVD I gave him:-)
And we did use the printer driver tool from the Brother website, I walked him through the process and watched him on a shared desktop session on Skype. (Still trying to work out how to do the remote desktop thing...)

From what I recall I think Dad may have tried installing the drivers from the printer list that came with Mint before I got him to download the drivers from the Brother site, there was another instance of a printer driver installed which I later got him to delete. I'll try getting him to do the driver install again after deleting all existing printer instances in his "Printer" settings.
Ranthe
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Ranthe »

Got a call from my father last night - he reran the printer installer tool, answered "Y" to specify the Device URI, then selected "USB". Everything is working fine now.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Re: [SOLVED] Brother DCP-J125 receiving data but not printing

Post by pdc_2 »

well done; glad to hear it is all working well; thanks for the info

Return to “Printers & Scanners”