Switch to LMDE 2

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dEhiN

Switch to LMDE 2

Post by dEhiN »

Hi I'm not sure if this has been asked but I tried doing a basic search and couldn't find any other thread on this. Anyway, is it possible to install LMDE 2 over an existing LM installation? I currently have LM 17.2 Rafaela Mate Edition. (I'm actually installing XFCE4, Cinnamon, and KDE as well to be able to switch between them all). I was hesitant to install LMDE 2 initially as I hadn't used Linux in some years, so I wanted to get my feet wet with LM Mate. But back when I used to be more into Linux, I was always a Debian user. I considered switching to Debian, but I don't want to install a whole new OS. However with LMDE, would I need to do a fresh install or could I somehow install it over my existing LM?

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Switch to LMDE 2

Post by xenopeek »

If you have a separate home partition, you could keep that. If you don't have a separate home partition you'll have to back up its contents and restore that after installing LMDE 2. Do you know if you have a separate partition for /home?
dEhiN

Re: Switch to LMDE 2

Post by dEhiN »

xenopeek wrote:If you have a separate home partition, you could keep that. If you don't have a separate home partition you'll have to back up its contents and restore that after installing LMDE 2. Do you know if you have a separate partition for /home?
Hi xenopeek, I'm so sorry for never responding to you! I didn't realize you had responded. Anyway, since it's been 1 year and a half or so, things have changed. However, I had a separate /home partition if I remember correctly. Anyway, I ended up doing a fresh installation in the end.

Return to “Installation & Boot”