0ad

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ilikereading

0ad

Post by ilikereading »

I have played these days 0ad. Is still in development, has a few bugs and lags when many units are moving but it's playable. I recommend it to everyone who likes the rts genre. It's not violent and obscure like other games, it's just the reality. Has lan play but registration is suspended now. You can still play with a friend, just the game room is blocked for new players.
In game music is just awesome. :D
https://play0ad.com/

Btw: for your own good, give up playing violent games. Do something else instead.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sphyrth

Re: 0ad

Post by sphyrth »

I'm an avid fan of this game, but how are these not violent by your definition?
stabbing people with spears
taking arrows in the knee
killing women
ravaging someone else's city
blood splatters
ilikereading

Post by ilikereading »

There are a lot of games more violent than this one: for example counter strike or gta.
You will see violence in 0ad only if you want to see it. Seen from above you will see a war, you won't see how the sword slashes through the body.
And there is a big chance that you will enjoy driving over pedestrians in gta or killing people in counter strike. It's called mental illness.
The difference is that in strategy games you aren't an actor in the game.
sphyrth

Post by sphyrth »

Then you haven't really argued for anything. I mean I could say the same thing:

"You will see violence in counter strike or gta if you want to see it. In these games, you're not commanding anyone to do the killing for you... especially in groups. And there is a big chance you will enjoy power-tripping because you command and entire gang to your whim.

The difference in FPS games is that you are not an absolute dictator hungry for power. It's a mental illness"

I've played a tone of FPS games and they didn't bring in me (and any of my friends) the slightest desire to stab each other, or get real guns and shoot each other in real life.

I like 0 A.D., but I don't think it should be used for any anti-violence arguments. Am I against violence? Yes. Do games have something to do with this? I don't think so. It's more on the person.

For example, "Since knives are used for stabbing chicken, then it teaches you to stab people - that's violent! They shouldn't be used."
ilikereading

Post by ilikereading »

I'm against violence too. When i played FPS games i felt more violent afterwards. With strategy games (rts or tbs) i even got bored sometimes. You will see how violent you are from your behaviour with other people.
It is well known that FPS games have an immense effect on kids. They become full of rage and won't give up the computer easily, you will need force.
Wisdom is required when using objects, and video games should be took as games only and nothing more.
Water can be used to drown people so nobody should drink water. :lol:
sphyrth

Post by sphyrth »

Ei. Are you the same borg in the 0 A.D. forums?

Return to “Gaming”