Linux mint isn't all that good at all

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Gingle

Post by Gingle »

yes i know i'll be hated and get horrible replies and stuff , but i don't care. I've tried linux mint and the other ubuntus, and neither ubuntu or linux mint is good to me, they suck, linux mint is based on 16.04 which is getting old now and doesnt have newer QT . and linux mint is harder to use than antergos, Its so much easier to install things due to the very large AUR repositories and it comes with really nice themes, i notice in the ubuntu world i have to go search around and add ppa's from all over the place just to install stuff , and i hate that. but my point is is that opensuse, manjaro, antergos all do things much much better than ubuntu , And actually those distros that are easier and user friendly than ubuntu any day because they all have big pacman repositories + community repositories with everything you can imagine in it, no having to add ppa's

And one more thing , i just dont like the look and feel of ubuntu or their distros or how they run things , it's ugly .
okay im done with my rant, send me all your nasty replies and tear me down :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MintyO

Re: Linux mint isn't all that good at all

Post by MintyO »

I won't give you the kind of response that you expect, nor do I hate you. I simply don't see the point of your post: you clearly like the "other" linux ecosystem side better than debian based OSs, a preference opposite of mine. So?
Gingle

Post by Gingle »

MintyO wrote:I won't give you the kind of response that you expect, nor do I hate you. I simply don't see the point of your post: you clearly like the "other" linux ecosystem side better than debian based OSs, a preference opposite of mine. So?
the point of my post is becuase ubuntus are harder to use than the ones i mentioned,linux mint is getting old now(still on 16.04 with outdated qt) and in ubuntu you have to add ppas for many things :mrgreen:
Ive used ubuntus for a very long time, and thought it was the best one gets in the linux world, but when i discoverd things like Antergos and opensuse i was like this is way better and easier, it blew my mind when i tried manjaro, opensuse, antergos, they all do things a hell of a lot better imo, and i immediatley ditched the ubuntu universe ubuntu is just too much of a hassle and have to manually do too much

Havnt tried pure debian though , and probably wont go that route
MintyO

Post by MintyO »

"Ubuntus are harder to use than I mentioned" is a point many will disagree or simply acknowledge as being different in style. What I said earlier: you have a new preference now. So? :wink: I was interested in hearing, why post a rant if all you expect is "hatred toward you and terrible replies"?
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

Linux is about freedom and choice.
Last edited by Habitual on Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added a subject back
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Okay then. You don't like Mint; that's fine. I do. We can both use what we like, so all is well, and I see no reason to tear anyone down just because they have different preferences than I do. In fact I consider that pretty immature behaviour.

I'm curious too: what is the purpose of this post?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

So you don't like Mint. OK, goodbye. Don't let the door hit you on the way out. And may you live happily ever after. :lol:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Crewp

Post by Crewp »

Moem wrote: I'm curious too: what is the purpose of this post?
good question.
Lysander666

Post by Lysander666 »

Crewp wrote:
Moem wrote: I'm curious too: what is the purpose of this post?
good question.
Attention.
lmintnewb2

Post by lmintnewb2 »

Didn't bother reading more than 2 sentences beyond the title. Should have a flashing troll sign attached to title of this. :)

Don't like LM, don't use it. There ya go, problem solved. :D
The Old Timer

Post by The Old Timer »

How can one complain. :?

Cost of Linux Mint or Ubuntu.
Exercising the little grey cells of the brain. 8)
chrisuk

Post by chrisuk »

OP,

I'm sure your school friends think your post is tremendously funny... in fact you'll probably be very popular at school next week. The problem is, being a troll is not as easy as some people think it is. You're obviously new to it (Troll with training wheels ;) ), but I'll give you a couple of tips:

Firstly, it's important to upset people - you need to post in forums populated by fanboys and/or fanatics (Religious forums and Mac forums are good; years ago the Ubuntu forums were good, but there's less fanboys now). It's no good posting "I hate you and everything you like" and then disappearing; you need to encourage others to reply - get the thread going before you move on to the next forum. It also helps if you can either have multiple accounts or get the help of a friend to be on your side (people spot a single troll, but can be uncertain if there's more than one in the same thread). Make more than 10 posts before starting your thread (low post count is a dead giveaway)

Also, you might want to try 4chan, it used to be a great place to learn your trade... not sure what it's like now.

Anyway, best of luck with your new hobby; but don't neglect your school studies.

(Mods: Sorry, I was bored and couldn't help myself... delete my post if you deem it necessary)
lmintnewb2

Post by lmintnewb2 »

^LMAO! :D

Just that one post made this specimen of trolling more than worth it. Very concise and insightful. Also having had too much free time on my hands occasionally, have considered researching and doing a write-up on the psycho-dynamics of web trolls.

Studying them in their native cyber environment (though think a critical part would be tracking them down and finding out more about who/what they're like offline too), classifying and sub-classing them etc. Could actually be interesting.

Have over the years compiled a list of techniques and tactics to combat trolls, help vamps and otherwise generally azzhatish types in online communities.

Sorry, also bored folks. :) If ever get around to said research project, definitely need to interview the nixer above me (Chris) for useful insights.
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

lol @ chrisuk

teaching them youngings how to troll properly :lol:

for the troll, well ya ubuntu is a bit behind on some things but stable, debian even further behind, also stable, arch based distros, shiny new stuff to get your bling on, not as stable due to this.

I use both manjaro and mint, one for stablitily the other for the newer bling I need for what I use it for.
The rest of the family are either on mint or ubuntu based distos for more stability.

As far as which is easier to use, that all depends on the user themselves and what they like better.
I like both and don't have a preference except I prefer AUR over PPA's
My family members prefer ubuntu based including mint because it just works and they like the software manager and settings, for them it is easier for them.

But ya come into mint to say you dont like it, not sure why you would waste the energy, I don't like some DE's or distro's, I don't go into their home and tell them I don't like the decor, no sense in it actually
kinda silly

If their was some reason for the post other then to troll to stir up some fanboys, sorry you came to wrong place.
If you got some info that would be benificial to help mint get better that would serve you and the community better.

If it was just troll be follow chrisuk advice on how to troll better.

Sorry to disappoint you but no hate here

Have fun , stay in school and be good

:lol: @lmintnewb2 you could write a whole essay on it and get published

ya it's late and I'm bored also
lmintnewb2

Post by lmintnewb2 »

^ Thanks Sam. :)

For real could too. We've spent years messing around in gnu/nix communities. A person can't help but notice things and learn a trick or 3 along the way.

I shudder to think, that somewhere out there lurking in the shadows of the interwebz there really must be a king/queen of the trolls and a count Dracula of help vamps too. Now there's a comfy thought. May they never find their way to the LM forum!
now3by
Level 2
Level 2

Post by now3by »

Unfortunately I have to agree with the title:
and it is easy to see it if you come from win 7 / XP;

yes Linux ( and Mint... ) have some very old and annoying bugs, no need to hide it or to deny, every new user will find it.

If you need the whole list just watch Bryan Lunduke saying it, hi is true Linux guy: https://youtu.be/SMKeWTVYBUo

In the end, if you can't solve the problems on your hw, the solution is:
lmintnewb2 wrote:... Don't like LM, don't use it...
Linux...
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

ahh ya anyone coming from a windows background doesn't usually realize it's not the same thing until they try it, we hear it all the time.

Mainly the HW issues are because manufacturers don't make the system for linux they make it for windows or mac, that's why their is so many open source drivers,
to try and solve this, do some research and find out what systems are more linux friendly so you can avoid these issue altogether.
HP and a few others are not the friendliest when it comes to linux.
asus is, except for the realtek wireless card which I had and easily swapped out for a intel one in about 5 minutes if not sooner on a solid bottom laptop.

This is the problem with windows users, "why doesn't it work on my system when it did on windows.
Not all manufacturers are the same.

Just like when I developed for android, some phones and tablets ran stuff better then others, same code different hardware to run it, the note is a nightmare for this, samsung also had issues, I used to get complaints and the first questioned I asked, "what type of phone or tablet do you own"?

Before I realized this, when I first came to linux, I bought an hp, found out later the partition was dynamic, not basic, not fun.
it was easier just to bring it back, I got smarter, did some reading and bought a more linux friendly system, the issues went away.

It's just like buying a volkswagon and trying to drive it as fast as a muscle car and wonder why it won't go as fast, well it wasn't made to by the manufacturer.
So who'se fault it is?
Buy or build the system according to the operating system you plan to use, you'll see those issues fade away quickly.
If you don't read up or ask questions then you get what you get.
Again who'se fault is it?
and always remember this is a community project of volunteers for most of linux, no one has to do it, we just do it and use it because we like/love it.

So as was stated, if you don't like it, don't use it, that would just be plain insane if you used something you hated right?

Oh by the way my mother in her 80's use linux with no issues and even upgraded and updated her own grub when we had to do that through the terminal in the past, (She made me mighty proud that day), she had windows and found linux way easier to use, sooooo if she has no issues with it at her age with hardly any computer knowldge at all, google is her friend when I'm not around, don't know what to say about others that has so many issues and probably have a ton more experience.
She reads, finds the issue and fixes it.
I just made sure she had a linux friendly system so she wouldn't have all the HW issues others complain about
Lysander666

Post by Lysander666 »

chrisuk wrote:OP,

I'm sure your school friends think your post is tremendously funny... in fact you'll probably be very popular at school next week. The problem is, being a troll is not as easy as some people think it is. You're obviously new to it (Troll with training wheels ;) ), but I'll give you a couple of tips:

Firstly, it's important to upset people - you need to post in forums populated by fanboys and/or fanatics (Religious forums and Mac forums are good; years ago the Ubuntu forums were good, but there's less fanboys now). It's no good posting "I hate you and everything you like" and then disappearing; you need to encourage others to reply - get the thread going before you move on to the next forum. It also helps if you can either have multiple accounts or get the help of a friend to be on your side (people spot a single troll, but can be uncertain if there's more than one in the same thread). Make more than 10 posts before starting your thread (low post count is a dead giveaway)

Also, you might want to try 4chan, it used to be a great place to learn your trade... not sure what it's like now.

Anyway, best of luck with your new hobby; but don't neglect your school studies.

(Mods: Sorry, I was bored and couldn't help myself... delete my post if you deem it necessary)
Well, the trolling did kind of work! Look how many responses the thread has received so far. If I were the OP I would be sitting back and watching everyone respond. Wouldn't post myself though. As far what 4chan is like now, I still go there but only to the /g/ - technology - board. I haven't been to the rest of it for years. It's truly diabolical and ceased to be interesting or funny a good while back - it just became depressing.
dark

Post by dark »

Having to add PPA's would be unnecessary with Ubuntu Snap and Flatpak apps i think.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Great, another noob using a rolling release. How's their support going to be when a regular system update breaks something?

Not I said when, not if. That's what happens with rolling releases and that's why they're not noob friendly.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”