Folding@home-Team Linux Mint-76140

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Citizen229

Folding@home-Team Linux Mint-76140

Post by Citizen229 »

<moderator note>
Current links as of 01 January 2023: Team Linux Mint at Folding@Home
</moderator note>

Going to get a new thread rolling down here in Open Chat. The previous post is old, outdated, and just needs to die off.We have a very log way to go to catch Team Ubuntu and Arch. We could use some new folders. http://folding.stanford.edu/ is the website for some good information on the project. The quick version is, its a distributed computing project run by Stanford University. For the purpose of biological research.

The software can use CPU and GPU. The focus has been shifting to GPU and they can handle this kind of workload more efficiently. The software installs easily as it is debian files. fore the command line user you only need to install the client. I do not know any of the commands. If enough are interested, this post can be easily modified. The second file is the control center file. It is the GUI control. The third file is a viewer. While cute as it is to see your folding happening, it a resource hog. It does nothing but slow the folding task down to display it.

Common questions:

Code: Select all

What hardware works? Currently AMD GPU's might work? I dont have an RX series to try the AMD-GPU pro drivers.

What hardware is best? Desktop GPU's hands down are the best points per wattage (PPW) and points per day(PPD).

I have an old laptop can it help? Sure it can. However laptop need special precautions. For example, I fold with my netbook and laptop. Power saving features must be turned off. Power down and plug in charger and remove battery. I finish draining and recharge my netbook battery once every 2-3 months. The second thing I do is lean it upright on something. Or find a cold spot on the bottom to place a prop to set the laptop at an angle. This will let the heat roll up and off the bottom. The "gaming" laptop GPU should not be used to fold. They CAN but the add tremendous heat to the system, so it is a user beware feature. We would not advise it, and in fact discourage it.

My APU has a GPU can I use it? While it can, it is best not too. Running the cpu and gpu @100% on an apu will make it smokey hot. Much like the laptop it is best to stick with just the cpu portion.

What are the points all about? Each task is givin a set point value. This value is assessed by a default machine Stanford uses. This machine also sets a standard time to complete. From these to statistics, bonus points are assessed to the folder.The bonus is based on how much faster they complete the fold versus the default bench machine.

Pass key? After the completion of 10 Work Units(WU) The user can go into the identity tab and set up a passkey.The passkey is a user verification tool, and also begins assessing bonus points.

These are just the basics. I will edit this post as time goes on to add information.I do not use an nvidia card so I will need to research.But we do have folks who do know nvidia things. Any questions feel free to post.

Set up issues:

Code: Select all

FAH doesnt regocnize my nvidia GPU? The first step is to make sure you use the drivers from the Driver Manager in mint. 
Updated 4/15/17 3pm EST
Update 5/15/17- added code box to limit wall of text.
Last edited by SMG on Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:02 am, edited 8 times in total.
greerd
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Folding@home-Team Linux Mint-76140

Post by greerd »

I see http://folding.stanford.edu/ has a brand new web page, it reminds me why I started F@H in the first place. I don't think there are too many people that haven't lost someone to cancer, or gotten a blank stare from a loved one with Alzheimer's.
The Folding@home project (FAH) is dedicated to understanding protein folding, the diseases that result from protein misfolding and aggregation, and novel computational ways to develop new drugs in general.
Diseases such as Alzheimer’s disease, Huntington’s disease, cystic fibrosis, BSE (Mad Cow disease), an inherited form of emphysema, and even many cancers are believed to result from protein misfolding. When proteins misfold, they can clump together (“aggregate”). These clumps can often gather in the brain, where they are believed to cause the symptoms of Mad Cow or Alzheimer’s disease.
This is why I started, but I also keep tabs on my individual points and 'Team Linux Mint' points and position. We've climbed over one hundred positions in the last year, but its tough going, the further up the list a team gets the slower overtaking teams gets, right now we rank 384th out of more that 6,000 teams. folding.extremeoverclocking.com(Our team is on this page) has a dedicated site that lists the 6 thousand teams and well over a million individual folders.

This is my donation, watts and gpu time, I use my GTX 970 pretty much full time, and I hope that somehow my donation helps in some small way.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Does anyone have an estimate of the data usage on perhaps a per unit basis?
For those using a metered internet connection
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

all41 wrote:Does anyone have an estimate of the data usage on perhaps a per unit basis?
For those using a metered internet connection
It's minimal. If I look at the download sizes, a few MB a day.
Citizen229

Post by Citizen229 »

My small gpu task run 3-5 megs. the one I am working now is a 9 hour one for me and is 14.5 megs. the quick tasks for me are 4.5 hrs and long ones 8.5 hrs. I have metered connection as well. Once I get a better video card, my usage will go up. At this point I am using an estimated 45 megs perday. this is a high estimate. Cpu tasks register in the KB range that I have seen so far. If you have a big video card, try out some weekend folding first so you can evaluate for yourself. If its a CPU you will be comfortable just letting it run.I can get away since my old plan I refuse to give up gives me unlimited after 12:30 am est till 6 am est. so anything I dl then doesnt count against me.

What cpu or gpu are you considering using?

My laptop is a 2.1 i3 mobile. It is working a 1 meg task and its going to take it 2 days. this same task would take my fx4350 about 20 hours.And a more modern desktop i5 around an estimated 8 hours. these are all rough numbers of course but they should give you a rough idea.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

I am now folding--using a xeon quad ht workstation. First time I've seen all 8 cores and threads running 100% and
over 3.0 gHz. The core temps leveled out in the low 80's/upper 70's so I'm comfortable with that. The ppd esimate is 26500 with no other tasks running and the first WU is 9.8% complete
Citizen229

Post by Citizen229 »

dont forget. After 10 WU are completed to get a passkey. Click configure tab and it should be on the identity tab by default. click the blue highlighted text .
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Citizen229 wrote:dont forget. After 10 WU are completed to get a passkey. Click configure tab and it should be on the identity tab by default. click the blue highlighted text .
I already have a passkey--why the 10 WU?
At the moment have three of these workstations folding at full power.
Citizen229

Post by Citizen229 »

At 10 completed work units. bonus points will start being assessed. If you got one right away that is ok. After 10 wu, you will see your points per day increase significantly.this topic is in the initial post of this thread:D
Citizen229

Post by Citizen229 »

core 0x21 project:11419
25110 base ... 87612 estimated
11hours down .... 4 to go....

Oh.... my..... god.
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

I'm very interested in joining this. Lost several close rellies to the big C including my Mum. Maybe it can be run instead of a screensaver, so I can have it running on the machine I have on all the time, whenever it is not actually being used or accessed. Not sure how to suspend it when access (from another machine) is needed though.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
Citizen229

Post by Citizen229 »

The client does have a network control built in. Not that I have used it or know how too :P I believe there is a web controller as well. what hardware were you thinking of using?
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

BG405 wrote:I'm very interested in joining this. Lost several close rellies to the big C including my Mum. Maybe it can be run instead of a screensaver, so I can have it running on the machine I have on all the time, whenever it is not actually being used or accessed. Not sure how to suspend it when access (from another machine) is needed though.
The client has a slider bar that allows you to choose when to run it. If you set it to light, it will only run on idle.
900i
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 900i »

Hello to all you Folders, I am now back up and running on my main machine after piddling about with the browser client I have set-up the main client on my I7 rig. Now chugging away on 6 threads of intels finest. Unfortunately my AMD Firepro v4900 which I use for CAD just doesnt cut the mustard. Can't bring myself to drop mega £ on a new Nvidia gaming card. Onwards and Upwards!
Desktop Core i7 Linux Mint 21.1 / Laptop Dell Precision M6400 Linux Mint 21.1
900i
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 900i »

All41, How you getting 8 threads running, if you dont mind me asking!
Desktop Core i7 Linux Mint 21.1 / Laptop Dell Precision M6400 Linux Mint 21.1
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

900i wrote:All41, How you getting 8 threads running, if you dont mind me asking!
Default settings and slider at full. You can manually configure the number of cores
to run but the default settings utilize all threads with the slider at full.
Left most graph is full, center is medium, and the rightmost is light folding power.
In the light mode the core speeds, temps, and fan speeds drop also.
folding.jpg
Citizen229

Post by Citizen229 »

Big THANK YOU to EVERYONE! We broke the Teams daily, weekly, and are still destroying our monthly records!

http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/ ... s=&t=76140
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

Dunno who is number 1 now, buy yourazzismine :lol
greerd
Level 6
Level 6

Post by greerd »

mr_raider wrote:Dunno who is number 1 now, buy yourazzismine :lol
I would of answered sooner but, I'm too busy FOLDING! Hope I don't crumble under pressure :(
tinca
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tinca »

Hi everyone,

I have resumed folding on my i7 CPU after a break, and everything is going well.

Today I will receive my new graphic card which is a EVGA-Geforce GTX 1070. Can someone help me with getting it set up and running please.

Do I have to remove my current CPU folding program and download a new one for GPU's

What drivers do I need to install, and should I install the drivers before I make any changes to my folding.

Any help (detailed if possible) would be of great help.

Best regards Keith

Return to “Software & Applications”