Stupidest reasons for not using Linux over Windows

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Yownanymous

Re: Stupidest reasons for not using Linux over Windows

Post by Yownanymous »

Fred wrote:I heard one today, as a matter of fact. It was in a Waffle House restaurant, of all places. A guy, who supposedly worked on computers at a local Best-Buy store, told me it was illegal to use Linux. According to him, Linux is a "hackers" tool that can be used on notebooks to break into systems. All you had to do was get close to them with a notebook using Linux. He actually believed Linux was like burglar tools and was illegal to even have it, especially on a notebook!

I tried to keep a straight face and just listen and learn, but it was hard. It was pointless to try to tell him otherwise. He was convinced, and was a self proclaimed expert. :-)

Fred
The worrying thing is so many people think that. We can all thank the greedy b*****s like Microsoft, Apple and especially SCO (but then SCO, who went down the drain?).
piratesmack

Post by piratesmack »

Yownanymous wrote:
graeme wrote:My favourite is:

"you have to compile apps"

particularly because it is continually repeated in the press as well as in forums.
Let's see, last time I compiled an app was...
Never! I never had to!
Depends on the distro. You usually don't have to with Ubuntu or Mint, but in Gentoo almost everything is compiled from source.

The only reason I don't compile software under Windows is because it's such a pain.
Has anyone tried compiling Amarok or Mplayer under Windows? :evil: :twisted:
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

I had my Linux Journal T-shirt (*) on at Costco a few weeks ago. Was there with all my kids doing some shopping, and afterwards we stopped at the food counter for lunch. While I was doctoring the dogs, some guy spotted my shirt and asked his buddy "whats Linux?". So Mr. I-Don't-Know-What-I-Don't-Know replied to Mr. I-Know-I-Don't-Know with some story about how its an alternative to Windows, but its really hard to use and difficult to install.

I'm sorry if you're having a private conversation at Costco, but if you're blatantly ignorant and talking about my shirt loud enough for me to hear then I'm going to exercise my right to free speech and intervene. Especially if your buddy asked a legitimate question and you're a total idiot.

Hard to use? Point to my (then) 7yo son. He uses it just fine, enjoys the games, and has no problem customizing the gnome desktop by himself. But he has an advantage: at 7, he has no preconcieved notions of what "Windows" is supposed to look like and has a child's enthusiasm for poking, prodding, and experimenting with new things.

Difficult to install? Its so easy, your average stay-at-home mom with minimal computer experience can install it herself in less than an hour. The biggest "support" problem I see with linux installs and new users is that it is TOO easy to install.

I love the shirt. The 7yo turned 8, we had a party at Chuck-E-Cheese, did some other stuff, and went to a cheap movie afterwards (the $3 theater with late-run shows). I got comments at C-E-C, I got comments from the other parents, I got comments @ Wendy's, and this clerk at the theater snuck up behind me while I was doctoring the popcorn to tell me she loved my shirt.

(*) Linux Journal T-Shirt: Black long-sleeve, front print = courier/mono "Geek by Nature", back print = courier/mono "Linux by Choice".
badmotor

Post by badmotor »

Sounds like a cool shirt! :D
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

My LUG did an installfest a few months ago and asked around for some swag. Linux Journal came through big-time for us with shirts, CDs, magazines, and stickers ("Use The Source"). Canonical stepped up with some CDs and more stickers. AT&T sent some techs and some WiMax equipment when they learned (from a LUG member who is an AT&T WiMax tech) that we were going to use (*shudder*) Clearwire.

Its not like attendance at our Installfest was spectacular. It stunk. But you get your LUG to do something like this 1-2 times a year and its an easy talking point about Linux. There is a LUG? And they do things? And they salvage old computers to use as give-aways?
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

"Linux doesn't come with a paperclip assistant so it's really hard to do anything."
Husse

Post by Husse »

clem wrote:"Linux doesn't come with a paperclip assistant so it's really hard to do anything."
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
When I still used Windows and Office that was just about the first thing I turned off :lol:
Yownanymous

Post by Yownanymous »

clem wrote:"Linux doesn't come with a paperclip assistant so it's really hard to do anything."
It should be programmed after 10 minutes to say:
It looks like you're writing a suicide note. Would you like some help?
Yownanymous

Post by Yownanymous »

An item of controversy of recent (OK, I admit I'm slow), and I'm sure you've all heard about it, nonetheless I shall post the link:
http://linuxlock.blogspot.com/2008/12/l ... -back.html
piratesmack

Post by piratesmack »

Yownanymous wrote:An item of controversy of recent (OK, I admit I'm slow), and I'm sure you've all heard about it, nonetheless I shall post the link:
Yeah, I think they talked about that on one of the MintCast episodes.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 000AAA3ZRF
Yownanymous

Post by Yownanymous »

piratesmack wrote:
Yownanymous wrote:An item of controversy of recent (OK, I admit I'm slow), and I'm sure you've all heard about it, nonetheless I shall post the link:
Yeah, I think they talked about that on one of the MintCast episodes.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 000AAA3ZRF
I do get the feeling these people have never tried Linux. Obviously they're also so oblivious they've missed ReactOS.
Also, if you get what you pay for, well I never paid for viruses...
Old Marcus

Post by Old Marcus »

That email has to be a spoof. I can't imagine anyone with half a brain cell taking it seriously. If it is serious, the world is in deeper **** than I thought.
Yownanymous

Post by Yownanymous »

Ahem, language. Never underestimate how bad a situation humans are in.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Please please - keep to the subject
Yownanymous

Post by Yownanymous »

marc.a.bishop wrote:"You need windows server to use a server."
LMFAO!!!
thats nice, because a lot of servers are run by linux
:shock: :cry: :evil:
Yownanymous

Post by Yownanymous »

93jam wrote:I have set up a elderly family members computer and have xp and mint installed, but told them to use mint for everything. They called me and demanded to remove linux next time I was over because they saw on 20/20 or 60 minutes or one of those shows that "There computer will get hacked into by using linux because that is what the goverment uses and they got computers hacked."
Ah, so many people are afraid of the unknown... Poor fools.
graeme

Post by graeme »

Not given as a reason for using Windows, but I found this on the website of a company offering paid proxy servers "knowledge base":
I don't use Internet Explorer I prefer Ubuntu, will the proxy service work?

Sorry but we do not have any details for Ubuntu and can only suggest you search online for them to see if their browser is capable of working with proxy servers.
Perhaps it should be called a "lack of knowledge base"
kwisher

Post by kwisher »

I've been trying to get my employer familiar with Open Source Software and how it can benefit him with software costs. I haven't specifically been pushing Linux, just FOSS software. After many weeks of emailing him links to free software solutions that can replace our current proprietary software, I asked him personally what his thoughts were and if he and the other management personnel have investigated or discussed any of my suggestions. This was his exact reply:

"We have discussed this and we see no way that free software can benefit us."
Husse

Post by Husse »

Becca wrote:stupidest reason ive ever heard from my cousin
"Girls cant use linux, and you arent smart enough. you have to stick to windows. "
funny :P
x
Becca - educate your cousin about woman's rights and tell him that if there is a difference in intelligence probably women are smarter :)
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Becca - educate your cousin about woman's rights and tell him that if there is a difference in intelligence probably women are smarter :)
It is true, my Wife has told me so. :mrgreen:

Return to “Chat about Linux”