Folding@home-Team Linux Mint-76140

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
greerd
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Folding@home-Team Linux Mint-76140

Post by greerd »

Hi tinca,

What I did was install the proprietary Nvida driver via Driver Manager. This is a must, as FAH will not work with Nouveau drivers. Also versions 375 and 378 did not work correctly for me, I've tried 381 and it seems OK but my go to driver version is nvidia-370.28. You may want a newer kernel than the 4.4 but it might depend on what else your doing, I'm not sure on that one.

FAHControl has to be setup to use the GPU by adding a GPU Slot in the Configuration, defaults for the new slot are good. Once the GPU slot is added, you will have to sudo service FAHClient restart once or twice or until the card is recognized. (in the system info tab of FAHControl)

It takes one core to manage the GPU on GPU only WU's, but if desired CPU WU's can still be done as before, or just delete the CPU slot if your GPUing only.

Don't forget to wave as you go flying bye!
tinca
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tinca »

Hi Greed,

thanks for the information. I am full of trepidation.

No doubt I will be back with either more problems or success.

Many thanks Keith
900i
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 900i »

Great to have you back.
Desktop Core i7 Linux Mint 21.1 / Laptop Dell Precision M6400 Linux Mint 21.1
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

You need to install the Nvidia proprietary driver through the hardware device manager. That should also install the CUDA package. If not you can install it manually. Once you make sure your video card works right, folding is easy enough.

In the client config, add a second slot, for the gpu. Set the counter to -1 and it should be fine. Then it will auto detect the gpu and start folding.

Now here is the tricky part. The client will drop 1 core from your CPU slot. I don't know how it functions in Intel, but if get 7 cores you will get failed cpu assignments. Come back and post of that happens.
Citizen229

Post by Citizen229 »

When folding a gpu, honestly, dont bother folding the cpu. Just my 2 cents.
tinca
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tinca »

Hi all,

I have managed to install the new graphics card. I have also installed the Nvidia 375.39 drivers.

Once I had the computer up and running it had already started to fold a CPU unit. In the configuration file I have 1 slot which is id 0 and type cpu. I would like to get rid of the cpu and just let the graphic card do the folding so I will just remove it and see what happens. It has stopped folding so I will try and add a slot just for the gpu. In configuration there are now NO slots, so I try and add a slot, but once I do this I am unable to stop it selecting a cpu slot. I have rebooted the computer and in Fahcontrol/system information it says
GPU's 1,
GPU 0 unsupported: NV3 [PCI]
CUDA Driver 8000

The kernel that I am using is Linux 4.4.0-53-generic x86_64

It is now running again on 8 cores

what do I do next to get this graphic card up and running please. Sorry to be a nuisance.

Best regards Keith
greerd
Level 6
Level 6

Post by greerd »

I couldn't get the 375 driver working ether, so I reverted back to 370, you might have to restart FAHClient once or twice before it's recognized. (Info Tab)
Once your card is recognized you should be able to add the GPU slot, then delete the existing CPU slot.
tinca
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tinca »

greerd,

sorry to be dumb, but how do you revert back to the 370 driver please

best regards Keith
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

Before changing drivers, go the advanced section of the client options. Change the flag for GPU from false to true. Then restart. That should force and update of the GPU.txt file.
Citizen229

Post by Citizen229 »

to remove the cpu click configure>slots tab>click the cpu and it will highlight>click remove at the bottom right corner
greerd
Level 6
Level 6

Post by greerd »

tinca wrote:greerd,

sorry to be dumb, but how do you revert back to the 370 driver please

best regards Keith
On Cinnamon its 'Menu > Administration > Driver Manager' enter your password and wait for the cache to update. Pick 370.28, apply changes, wait again (longer this time) and when finished there should be a Restart... button no longer grayed out at the bottom of the window, click and cross fingers. (should be painless)
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

tinca wrote:Hi all,

I have managed to install the new graphics card. I have also installed the Nvidia 375.39 drivers.

Once I had the computer up and running it had already started to fold a CPU unit. In the configuration file I have 1 slot which is id 0 and type cpu. I would like to get rid of the cpu and just let the graphic card do the folding so I will just remove it and see what happens. It has stopped folding so I will try and add a slot just for the gpu. In configuration there are now NO slots, so I try and add a slot, but once I do this I am unable to stop it selecting a cpu slot. I have rebooted the computer and in Fahcontrol/system information it says
GPU's 1,
GPU 0 unsupported: NV3 [PCI]
CUDA Driver 8000

The kernel that I am using is Linux 4.4.0-53-generic x86_64

It is now running again on 8 cores

what do I do next to get this graphic card up and running please. Sorry to be a nuisance.

Best regards Keith
Go to /var/lib/fahclient and look for file called GPU.txt.

the first line tells you when it was updated. I have 2017-4-20

Your card gp104 should be listed near the bottom.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Fellow folders help me understand the rating system.
I feel somewhat embarrassed because my trivial 30 something wu is rated above many with 100s of completed wu .
Why is this?
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
greerd
Level 6
Level 6

Post by greerd »

@tinca,
You may have to delete /var/lib/fahclient/GPUs.txt and restart FAHClient. My GPUs.txt is dated 18 May 2016 and doesn't include the 1070. If you delete the file a new one should be sent from the server or can be downloaded, see here.

@all41,
Depends on wether you're GPU or CPU folding, GPU folding is valued higher(thus weighted higher), more efficient and has larger WU's. Other than that, I have no idea, could be that WU size is increasing with processor power?
Citizen229

Post by Citizen229 »

bonus points for your server cpu versus teaswiggers apu cores. yours completes quicker and gets more bonus for speed.
tinca
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tinca »

mr_raider,
I cannot find the option to change the flag for GPU from false to true. I have NO GPUs.txt file.

greerd
when the drive manager has refreshed the cache, the only option available is for the nvidia 375.39 which is already installed.

in /var/lib/fahclient there is no GPUs.txt.
In one of the links you gave me I found the latest GPUs.txt file. I copied its contents into a new text document and saved it to my computer. Then I copied it to /var/lib/fahclient.
The file is dated 20170420 7im
I searched for gp104 and there are 16 of them. 3 are for the 1070. 1 is gp104, the second and third are gp104m. Perhaps when the current work unit is finished (I have another 4 hours to go) and it sends it back to Stanford, and I get a new unit it might find my graphics card.

Best regards Keith
Citizen229

Post by Citizen229 »

Tinca- the gpu=true statement is in the expert tab Not the advanced tab of the control center.
I have read several times on the ah forums, when the gpu is not/misrecognized by the client, to uninstall the client and reinstall.
Try the gpu=true argument first.

Greerd/tinca- what mint and kernal are both of you using? this could be the difference between hardware managers options
greerd
Level 6
Level 6

Post by greerd »

tinca wrote:mr_raider,
I cannot find the option to change the flag for GPU from false to true. I have NO GPUs.txt file.

greerd
when the drive manager has refreshed the cache, the only option available is for the nvidia 375.39 which is already installed.

snip...
Strange, my GPU flag is set to False, without any apparent issue.

You probably need the nvidia ppa installed, from a terminal, one line at a time:

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa
sudo apt-get update
Then try the Driver Manager again. You should see 370, 375, 378 and 381 Drivers listed. The 375 ans 378 wouldn't work for me but the 370 and 381 do.
greerd
Level 6
Level 6

Post by greerd »

greerd wrote: Strange, my GPU flag is set to False, without any apparent issue.
I just set the GPU flag to true, restarted FAHClient, the GPU flag(that I just set to true) is no longer displayed but my /var/lib/fahclient/GPUs.txt updated to 20170420 7im, so I guess the flag is at least used to update the GPUs file. Everything is still working so far.
Citizen229

Post by Citizen229 »

the 370driver was released for beta in aug 2016. Mint 18 was announced in june 2016. The nvidia site does not specify a kernal for this driver. But if tinca is using 17.3 he may need to update to kernal 4.4 or higher. If using 18.x then he should already be on 4.4.

http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/105855

Return to “Software & Applications”