Scanner Brother DCP-J125

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
butiflauta
Level 3
Level 3

Scanner Brother DCP-J125

Post by butiflauta »

Hi,

recently I installed LM 18.1 after a time working well with 17.3. With the new one I am having a lot of problems, one of them is with the scanner of my Brother dcp-j125. As in 17.3 I use this method http://support.brother.com/g/b/download ... &type3=625 but this time I can't use the scanner. Simple scan says the scanner is not detected. I try to install again brscan3-0.2.13-1.amd64.deb but it says is installed, I reinstall with same result

I don't know what to do... :(
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Scanner Brother DCP-J125

Post by Pjotr »

Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
butiflauta
Level 3
Level 3

Post by butiflauta »

Pjotr wrote:Try this:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/15
(step 10 and further)
Done!!!! It works, Thank you Pjotr!!
butiflauta
Level 3
Level 3

Post by butiflauta »

It works with previous versions on Mint but with 19 try the same and scanner doesn't work. Anybody knows about it?
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Strange. Did you try step 10 and further of my how-to:
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... nters.html
butiflauta
Level 3
Level 3

Post by butiflauta »

Pjotr wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:45 pm Strange. Did you try step 10 and further of my how-to:
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... nters.html
Yes, I follow step 10 and further. I decided to start from zero and delete my Brother Printer from printer applications and clean with Bleach. I start all the process and I can print but not scan once again.
The only difference with the process you detailed is that on my terminal appears an ip request when it's working with brscan, please see the attachment file.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

butiflauta wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:45 am clean with Bleach.
Don't do that. :shock:
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... s.html#ID4
(item 4)

About the scanner: my how-to states that you should apply it when connected by USB cable to the Brother printer. The request for an IP address suggests that yours wasn't?
butiflauta
Level 3
Level 3

Post by butiflauta »

Pjotr wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:12 am Don't do that. :shock:
(item 4)
Wow!!! :( :shock: I thought it's positive for system. I know about defragment but not about clean tools. I deinstall from my system.

About the scanner: my how-to states that you should apply it when connected by USB cable to the Brother printer. The request for an IP address suggests that yours wasn't?
[/quote]

That's the reason I don't understand why ask for an IP, my Brother is connected via USB, always have been via USB. And when appears the question about Device URI my answer was N
butiflauta
Level 3
Level 3

Post by butiflauta »

Pjotr wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:12 am Don't do that. :shock:
(item 4)
Wow!!! :( :shock: I thought it's positive for system. I know about defragment but not about clean tools. I deinstall from my system.
Pjotr wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:12 am About the scanner: my how-to states that you should apply it when connected by USB cable to the Brother printer. The request for an IP address suggests that yours wasn't?
That's the reason I don't understand why ask for an IP, my Brother is connected via USB, always have been via USB. And when appears the question about Device URI my answer was N
[/quote]
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

That's strange.... I have a Brother DCP-1610W myself (multifunctional printer with scanner), and I could install it like that, without any problems.

When I have the time I'll try to repeat the procedure and see what happens then.
butiflauta
Level 3
Level 3

Post by butiflauta »

Pjotr wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:48 am That's strange.... I have a Brother DCP-1610W myself (multifunctional printer with scanner), and I could install it like that, without any problems.

When I have the time I'll try to repeat the procedure and see what happens then.
Thanks for your help, your procedure always worked. I don't know what's wrong :?
butiflauta
Level 3
Level 3

Post by butiflauta »

butiflauta wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:52 am
Pjotr wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:48 am That's strange.... I have a Brother DCP-1610W myself (multifunctional printer with scanner), and I could install it like that, without any problems.

Thanks for your help, your procedure always worked. I don't know what's wrong :?
Pjotr I have done fresh installation in my pc of Mint 19.1 and follow your procedure once again and my Brother DCP-J125 works printing but none the scanner. The easy scan tool says there's no drivers and give me a link to a generic brother website. I think the tool don't find the drivers installed with Brother Driver install tool. I don't know what's happening, in 19.1 I never scan
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

butiflauta wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:22 pm

Pjotr I have done fresh installation in my pc of Mint 19.1 and follow your procedure once again and my Brother DCP-J125 works printing but none the scanner. The easy scan tool says there's no drivers and give me a link to a generic brother website. I think the tool don't find the drivers installed with Brother Driver install tool. I don't know what's happening, in 19.1 I never scan
Step 10 is incorrect. This has been pointed out a number of times elsewhere in the past few months. SANE now looks in /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/sane or /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/sane for its backends (drivers), not /usr/lib. The author of the page might get time to look at

https://support.brother.com/g/s/id/linu ... =on#f00108
--
Brian.
butiflauta
Level 3
Level 3

Post by butiflauta »

brian_p wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:17 pm
butiflauta wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:22 pm

Step 10 is incorrect. This has been pointed out a number of times elsewhere in the past few months. SANE now looks in /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/sane or /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/sane for its backends (drivers), not /usr/lib. The author of the page might get time to look at

https://support.brother.com/g/s/id/linu ... =on#f00108
Brian thanks for your help!!!!! It works!!! Now I can use the scanner. Thank you!!!

Return to “Software & Applications”