How to make 4.1 speakers working?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
vrk1219

Re: How to make 4.1 speakers working?

Post by vrk1219 »

Hi Tofucifer and Husse,
I got struck with my sound box again...after upgrading to Felicia. :evil:
Now the situation is still worser, none of the players are giving sound.(totem/ VLC)
But when I place mouse cursor on any music file (mp3, wma or so) I'm able to hear preview sound.
Please suggest a solution.
vrk1219

Post by vrk1219 »

Tofucifer wrote:My guess would be you need to open the settings for each media player and manually set the audio engine to alsa. That should get you going. Felicia's sound engine is pulse so many of her programs default to it. Moreover I bet if you hit Alt+F2 and type in gksu gedit /etc/pulse/daemon.conf you will now find a populated config file instead of a blank page :)
Hi,
As you said above I have got the populated daemon.conf page and I changed the "default-sample-channels = 5" instead of 2.(besides removing the ';' )
Though I restarted the system it didn't work... :(
But I'm now able to listen to sound from the front speakers.
KevMaverick

Post by KevMaverick »

Good information.

Am I right in assuming that this should fix a similar problem with my Realtek HD 5.1 surround system?
vrk1219

Post by vrk1219 »

vrk1219 wrote:
Tofucifer wrote:My guess would be you need to open the settings for each media player and manually set the audio engine to alsa. That should get you going. Felicia's sound engine is pulse so many of her programs default to it. Moreover I bet if you hit Alt+F2 and type in gksu gedit /etc/pulse/daemon.conf you will now find a populated config file instead of a blank page :)
Hi,
As you said above I have got the populated daemon.conf page and I changed the "default-sample-channels = 5" instead of 2.(besides removing the ';' )
Though I restarted the system it didn't work... :(
But I'm now able to listen to sound from the front speakers.
Hello,
Can anyone respond?
vrk1219

Post by vrk1219 »

Tofucifer wrote:First thing I'd do is go back to your mixer and make sure the adjustments you made in Darnya weren't wiped out. Above all make sure the SPDIF output switch is unchecked (it has a pesky habit of defaulting to being turned on). The 4 channel output switch has to be selected too.

KevMaverick, This may help you get your multichannel up and running as well, since none of this advice is hardware specific, but I would also add, I have no experience with using Realtek chips on LinuxMint.
Hi Tofucifer,
Thanks for the info, but I have installed Felicia by choosing format option as I had to adjust the swap size.
More over I'm unable to know the mixer here.
Please find the screenshot of the output devices here and I have chosen the last option Simultaneous output to ALSA PCM on surround 50:1 EMU10K1X Front) via DMA, ALSA PCM on front;0 (ALC883 Analog) via DMA
Instead of ALSA PCM on surround 50:1 EMU10K1X Front) via DMA, which is the first option here.
Also under the playback tab I'm able to see only front left, Front right instead of 5 Channels.
If I double click on the system tray volume icon, I get 5 channels controls as given in the screenshot.
Husse

Post by Husse »

In Totem > Edit > Preferences > Audio there is a pull down menu - Choose 4.1
vrk1219

Post by vrk1219 »

Husse wrote:In Totem > Edit > Preferences > Audio there is a pull down menu - Choose 4.1
Hi Husse,
This setting I have chosen after installing Felicia, but no luck.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Did you change in alsa-conf in Felicia like described earlier?
vrk1219

Post by vrk1219 »

Husse wrote:Did you change in alsa-conf in Felicia like described earlier?
Hi Husse,
Yes, that is how I configured in Felicia.
Is simultaneous output on ALSA surround 5.0 is OK?
Attaching the screenshot for various device options I have in the Volumen control, please let me know which is the right one I could select.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Sorry for a belated answer
Test - all options will remain, but I think you have marked the right option
I'm at roads end with this, unless you install oss...
vrk1219

Post by vrk1219 »

Husse wrote:Sorry for a belated answer
Test - all options will remain, but I think you have marked the right option
I'm at roads end with this, unless you install oss...
Hi Husse,
Sorry for replying you late.
Please let me know how I can do it.
newW2
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newW2 »

Let me try and help Husse. See this post on this forum: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... ss#p128977 it has a link to a good how-to here:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/OpenSound

Return to “Beginner Questions”