Crossword Puzzles

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Cobber

Crossword Puzzles

Post by Cobber »

I am not a great fan of computer games any more, but do like relaxing by playing Spider Solitaire. I also like crosswords and decided to look for ones that would run on Linux.

There wasn't much available through Google, except programs to create them. Then I found there already is a crossword package in the repositories called xword. It uses .puz files for each puzzle and I found a great source of puzzles here

So I installed xword. However, it does not automatically create a menu entry. So you either need to make your own menu entry, or start it from the terminal. The exec command is simply xword.

It fired up okay and loaded one of the .puz files I had downloaded. However, I could not enter any letters. It was as if it did not know I had a keyboard. Everything else worked with keyboard entries, just not being able to actually type in a letter.

After a lot of Googling, I found the problem - you have to have Numlock turned OFF. What that has to do with letters (not numbers) is beyond me, but who am I to argue with a computer. For laptops that don't have a Numlock button, go into System Settings > Input Devices and select to have it off by default on login.

So I now have a crossword application in my Games menu and over 50 puzzles to play with (from the site above). I have attached a zip file containing the folder it asks you to set for storing puzzles. You can put that folder in either Home or on a data partition if you have one. It has all 50 puzzles and a .png file to use as a menu entry icon.

If you like playing crosswords, give it a go.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xdicey
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Crossword Puzzles

Post by xdicey »

That sounds grand :). I love crosswords and didn't know one exists in the repos though even if I did, I wouldn't know about finding and installing those other files because I'm still a linux idiot.

How come the .puz files aren't there already :? are they a must have?
-QUAD CORE Intel Core i7-4700MQ CPU (-HT-MCP-) 2.40GHz x4
-16GB RAM, 1 TB SSHD
-Graphics Card: Intel 4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller
Cobber

Post by Cobber »

xdicey wrote:I wouldn't know about finding and installing those other files...... How come the .puz files aren't there already are they a must have?
When you install xword it will have no puzzles to work with as no .puz files are included.

You have to add your own to a folder of your choice (included in the zip file). Each puzzle is a .puz file, much like a photo, video, text or any other file.

So you don't actually install the .puz files, they are just data files xword will load when you open it.

PS: There is no such thing as a Linux idiot. We all start from the beginning.
vladtepes

Post by vladtepes »

Thanks I shall give this a crack !
greerd
Level 6
Level 6

Post by greerd »

Yes, thanks Cobber, I'll give it a try too!
Cobber

Post by Cobber »

I just checked the website I got the puzzles from here It looks like he adds a new one each week.

If you would like to play online, there is a good site here with easier ones. But of course you can't save them halfway through and come back.
vladtepes

Post by vladtepes »

Not crossword related bit in your OP you said you "but do like relaxing by playing Spider Solitaire"
I see you have dual boot machines so I'm not sure if you play that on Windows or whether it is available on Linux? I hope that latter is true !
Cobber

Post by Cobber »

vladtepes wrote:you said you "do like relaxing by playing Spider Solitaire" ..... available on Linux?
Yes spider solitaire can be found on Linux. If you are using KDE, it is part of the "kpat" application. Otherwise it is part of "aisleriot" (an acronym of solitaire).

The KDE version is different, in that you can have empty slots in the top row, which puts even less stress on me. I don't use the timing feature, but try to better my own moves score. My personal best using one suite is 104 moves.
vladtepes

Post by vladtepes »

Thank you.

"aisleriot" (an acronym of solitaire). Not exactly something one searches for intuitively eh ! :lol:

Return to “Gaming”