Disable autologin for KDE live USB

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Jaydemir

Disable autologin for KDE live USB

Post by Jaydemir »

So I'm trying to make it that my live usb image of Mint 18.1 KDE doesn't auto-login on boot (like Live CDs typically do.) Searching the Googles, I found all sorts of files I'm 'supposed' to edit that don't exist, but finally stumble on sddm.conf.

The problem is that when I edit and reboot, it self-adds another entry to autologin mint. Is there another file I need to look for?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Disable autologin for KDE live USB

Post by austin.texas »

If you don't want the Mint usb to boot when you start up, you need to change the boot order in your BIOS settings.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
Jaydemir

Post by Jaydemir »

austin.texas wrote:If you don't want the Mint usb to boot when you start up, you need to change the boot order in your BIOS settings.
That isn't what I mean. I have a live USB on my keychain that I use as a portable OS. If someone happens to grab my keychain, I don't want my OS to automatically let them into my system with root access.

I want to just have it boot to a login screen with no 'mint' or 'livesessionuser' account.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Someone knowledgeable could use their own live OS. The sure way to prevent that is to set a BIOS password, if your BIOS has that capability.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
Jaydemir

Post by Jaydemir »

austin.texas wrote:Someone knowledgeable could use their own live OS. The sure way to prevent that is to set a BIOS password, if your BIOS has that capability.
Yeah, but a BIOS password on my desktop doesn't stop them from accessing my OS on their own computer.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

In your first post you said it was the live Mint, but apparently it is an installed OS, or using persistence?
Linux Linx 2018
Jaydemir

Post by Jaydemir »

austin.texas wrote:In your first post you said it was the live Mint, but apparently it is an installed OS, or using persistence?
A live Mint USING persistence. Sorry for being unclear.

Edit: nevermind. I think I know what the deal is.

I used a tool to create an EXT4 partition for persistent data, but the Live CD settings itself is NOT persistent (Since it's based on Ubuntu 16+). No matter what settings I change, they always revert back. This would explain why the sddm.conf file always reverts as well.

All in all, I might need to reconsider how I have the OS installed on the USB. I wanted to use a LiveCD because it gives me the option to boot regardless of BIOS or UEFI, where a fully installed OS makes me commit to one or the other. I'll just have to keep the drive under lock and key.

Return to “Installation & Boot”