MATE 1.18 updates

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Re: MATE 1.18 updates

Post by Pepi »

fblais wrote:Hi Clément.
I'm a bit surprised this upgrade doesn't seem to have been tested and fixed before it's released.
I may be wrong of course.

I have no big problem here however.
I've tried a few themes and they don't work well so I'm sticking with Mint-X-Blue for the moment, while this is fixed.
On some themes, I get black text on the dark panel, so it's unreadable. (LX-Light-Brave for instance, available on opendesktop.org)
It was fine before the upgrade to Mate 1.18.

Merci,
François
I remember my 38 years working as a 'system admin' for my company. We would test test test and test and think, WOW it's a winner .. Until we released it :mrgreen:
cb474

Post by cb474 »

clem wrote:ok try to reset your panel then:

Code: Select all

mate-panel --reset
And then logout, log back in.
This sort of solved the issue, but not really.

I like to keep the panel on the left side of my screen. When I did the reset it moved the panel to the top of the screen (then when I did the reset a second time it moved the panel to the bottom of the screen). In each instance it did restore the mintmenu. But when I move the panel back to the left side of the screen, mintmenu sometimes disappears and sometimes remains there. However, in all cases, as soon as I log out and log in, if the panel is on the left, mintmenu disappears, never to come back.

Other weird things would happen too like the calendar applet would disappear when I moved the panel back to the left (and then reappear if I deselected the "expand" option for the panel and then reselected it). Also the icon for my backup program would sometimes appear and sometimes not in the notification area (never had any problems with this before 1.18). The calendar problem does not persist after I relogin, it's fine. But the backup program icon in the notification area is erratic.

Oddly, if the panel is on the right side of the screen, mintmenu works fine (it can be added and stays there after login). It appears that top, bottom, and right side are fine.

So there's just something weird with how the panel works when it is on the left side of the screen. But this is a new problem. None of these issues were there before 1.18.

Thanks for any further ideas on this.
filozofio
Level 2
Level 2

Post by filozofio »

Since the update there is a problem with Firefox, when trying to open the download folder.

There is a thread here where the problem is described: https://ubuntu-mate.community/t/firefox ... s/12630/20

monsta (I guess the same as our Monsta here) says that it is a MATE problem, and that there is already a fix.

I guess it needs still some time to get into LMDE
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

Yes, that's me :)

Some issues are already fixed in git repos (we need to make some new 1.18.x releases), some are being worked on...
filozofio
Level 2
Level 2

Post by filozofio »

Is there a way to make the fix quickly available in LMDE?

For me, it is not easy to cope with the git archives...

And the problem is quite important, because it affects a feature (going to the download folder) which I often use. And the consequences are big, because the whole desktop freezes... Now I shifted for Chrome, but I would prefer to come back to Firefox...

Well, I am very grateful that the problem was discovered soon... But I would encourage the team to make an update available as soon as possible.

Thank you!!
cb474

Post by cb474 »

@clem

I got the update to mintmenu today, 5.7.9, and that fixed the issue with it not working when the panel is on the left side of the screen. Thanks! I really appreciate it.
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

Good news!
Unfortunately it did not help me with launchers or dragging files to the tool bar.. but I am becoming quite adept at rebooting :)

side note. As an experiment I made a fresh install on a separate partition, then updated but blacklisted all mate 1.18 updates... total disaster. Nothing lost, no big deal.
Peter
Mate desktop https://wiki.debian.org/MATE
Debian GNU/Linux operating system: https://www.debian.org/download
fblais
Level 2
Level 2

Post by fblais »

Two observations, but I can't say if they're both related to the upgrade.

Note: I'm doing apt-get updates and upgrades several times a day so everything is up-to-date at the moment.
Also, I'm running with the french locale, so I'm not sure the menus are called exactly like what I'll be writing...

First, when I open the Preferences to edit the current theme, and then choose Customize to be able to select the GTK theme, icons, windows decorations, etc, the Colors tab disappeared.
It was there in Mate 1.16. (just verified on my other partition which is running Mint 18.1 MATE)

Second, if I use the openbox window manager and hit PrntScr to copy the desktop in the clipboard and bring mate-screenshot up, nothing happens.
I switched back to marco and it works.
Don't know if it's a mate or openbox bug or "feature" though.

Thanks!
François
--
Ce message provient du Québec! :)
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

First, when I open the Preferences to edit the current theme, and then choose Customize to be able to select the GTK theme, icons, windows decorations, etc, the Colors tab disappeared.
It was there in Mate 1.16. (just verified on my other partition which is running Mint 18.1 MATE)
This isn't an official answer but I wouldn't be surprised if this was removed due to the move to gtk3. It likely didn't work well.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
fblais
Level 2
Level 2

Post by fblais »

Thanks Joseph!

Another one:
I have four launchers beside the MintMenu; caja, mate-terminal, thunderbird and chrome.
When I hover the mouse over these icons, I get the description in english. (I'm on french locale, and I have made french-canada the system-wide language already...)
I have the same setup on my second partition, with Mint 18.1 MATE (that one still uses Mate 1.16), but the text is in french, as one would expect.

Edit: I have opened a ticket (#572) on GIT. (mate-panel)
Last edited by fblais on Sun May 07, 2017 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--
Andy-A

Post by Andy-A »

Since upgrading to 1.18, programs do not automatically launch when I insert media.

I now have to right click a DVD icon and select VLC, and right click a USB drive. Before, these things happened automatically. But as far as I can see, the settings in the Control Centre have not changed?
Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bolle1961 »

"extract here" is gone from caja
Desktop wallpaper switched to standard mint wallpaper
Icons on the desktop are double (2x home, 2x computer)
Can't say I'm happy with this upgrade
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

Bolle1961 wrote:"extract here" is gone from caja
Desktop wallpaper switched to standard mint wallpaper
Can't say I'm happy with this upgrade
Bolle1961 in your signature block: viewtopic.php?p=962186#p962186
Ironic? :-)

I am frustrated also. I will be patient, but in the meanwhile I am glad I have Point Linux alongside so I can continue with my normal daily tasks.

My best to Clem et al
Peter
Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bolle1961 »

sdibaja wrote: Bolle1961 in your signature block: viewtopic.php?p=962186#p962186
Ironic? :-)
That's the first thing I ever do with a new install
fblais
Level 2
Level 2

Post by fblais »

Bolle1961 wrote:"extract here" is gone from caja
When I right-click on an archive, I get the extract here option here. (caja 1.18.2)
I can concur the desktop icons are bigger though.
--
Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bolle1961 »

This is strange :
I have now Caja 1.18.2 and Files 3.14,
Files startup when I click 1 of the double icons on my desktop or menu -> accessoires -> files, this one has no "extract here"
Caja starts from places and menu -> applications-> systemtools -> file browser, fortunately that still works as it should.

Files = Nautilus
File browser = Caja
filozofio
Level 2
Level 2

Post by filozofio »

I have loved LMDE MATE since the old times of the rolling edition. I was patient with all the changes in between. I admire the great work, and the generosity of people working for a GNU project. But I humbly complain. I think there are possible upgrades (like Libreoffice) which we do not automatically enjoy and which would bring less problems than this MATE upgrade. I like stability, because I use LMDE for my daily work. I tried to use Chrome to avoid the problem of Firefox freezing MATE when asking for the download folder... But Firefox is better for my work. So, I have switched to Cinnamon. A pity, because MATE is still better in many aspects. I think this new version of MATE should have been tested a bit more before releasing it to the "normal" users.
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

I blacklisted all the MATE 1.18 updates and I bet in the long run .... I WILL PAY dearly :oops: I love LMDE and I may just go to Cinnamon
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

Pepi wrote:I blacklisted all the MATE 1.18 updates and I bet in the long run .... I WILL PAY dearly :oops: I love LMDE and I may just go to Cinnamon
I tried that on a fresh install, when I ran the updater I got blackscreened.
Peter

Return to “LMDE Archive”