Welcome Ladies - post here :)

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mtroiano2017

Re: Welcome Ladies - post here :)

Post by mtroiano2017 »

This post is old but im a female and im new and i have mint!! i have ZERO clue what im doing though!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

mtroiano2017 wrote: i have ZERO clue what im doing though!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Right, that's normal, we all started out like that. :wink:
Hey mtroiano2017, welcome to Mint and to the forum! Hope you'll enjoy both, and please feel free to ask questions.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
RacyColls

Post by RacyColls »

Hi there,
I am grace and another gal here. I am new to Linux and have started using it for privacy and security! Hoping to learn a lot from you guys here :)
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

Hello grace,

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)
YJM

Post by YJM »

Hello im Malina.
Me too "have zero clue what im doing" but usually manages to fix what I need for lazy user life. Hoping to improve now though :). I have been on Ubuntu for some years living the lazy life thought I would try Linux mint so here I am.

Right of the fresh install I can't get openvpn to connect though, the add button greyed out... :lol:
The-Wizard

Post by The-Wizard »

YJM

Welcome to the Mint family forums.
Most problems already have a fix
search
read
ask
If you need to ask please copy and paste the result of terminal code inxi -Fnx with your question
And take your time to avoid disappointment.

wizard
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Hi Malina, welcome! I've not tried OpenVPN myself so I can't help. But post a topic in a suitable forum section, and you'll get help, I'm sure.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

YJM wrote:Hello im Malina.
Me too "have zero clue what im doing" but usually manages to fix what I need for lazy user life. Hoping to improve now though :). I have been on Ubuntu for some years living the lazy life thought I would try Linux mint so here I am.

Right of the fresh install I can't get openvpn to connect though, the add button greyed out... :lol:
Welcome! :)

VPN: try this:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/vpn
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
900i
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 900i »

Regarding Windows Iso's, Would this be any use.

https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technolog ... nload-tool
Desktop Core i7 Linux Mint 21.1 / Laptop Dell Precision M6400 Linux Mint 21.1
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

Hello Malina Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)
dead_inside

Post by dead_inside »

I am new, i'm not a chick tho. LOL i suggest using the Linux Mint Help Chat. It helped me.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

dead_inside wrote:I am new, i'm not a chick tho.
That's okay, we forgive you. Everyone has their flaws. :wink:

dead_inside

Post by dead_inside »

Moem wrote:
dead_inside wrote:I am new, i'm not a chick tho.
That's okay, we forgive you. Everyone has their flaws. :wink:

MOEM - Are you saying that men are inferior to Women? Also, help me get to Level 9 so I can be cool like you :D
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

dead_inside wrote:MOEM - Are you saying that men are inferior to Women?
Only in the most ironical, joking sort of way, because that's not something that I actually believe. I do not think any group of people (no matter how you choose to divide them) is inherently superior to another; in fact I'm not sure what superiority in human beings looks like.
Please don't take everything I say so seriously, I was only making fun.
dead_inside wrote:Also, help me get to Level 9 so I can be cool like you :D
Post more! Welcome the newbies. Ask questions, and try to help others find answers. 8)

dead_inside

Post by dead_inside »

Moem wrote:
dead_inside wrote:MOEM - Are you saying that men are inferior to Women?
Only in the most ironical, joking sort of way, because that's not something that I actually believe. I do not think any group of people (no matter how you choose to divide them) is inherently superior to another; in fact I'm not sure what superiority in human beings looks like.
Please don't take everything I say so seriously, I was only making fun.
dead_inside wrote:Also, help me get to Level 9 so I can be cool like you :D
Post more! Welcome the newbies. Ask questions, and try to help others find answers. 8)
MOEM - Is there a way you can send me a message or email? I have some "Noob" questions......
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

dead_inside wrote:MOEM - Is there a way you can send me a message or email? I have some "Noob" questions......
Better ask them in the forums. Plenty of reasons:
- You'll have lots better chances of getting good answers (I'm very much not a guru, but others here are)
- I won't feel forced to answer your questions even if I have no time or don't feel like it,
- and the answers will probably benefit others.

By asking questions in the forums, you are contributing to the community; by asking questions in private, you're monopolizing my time. No points for guessing which option I prefer. :wink:

newbek

Post by newbek »

Hello ladies, nice to meet you.

You may have realized how novice I am by my first ever post on here to do with being confused on downloading by torrent and mirrors - I had done far too much goog'ling and was getting very hungry (brain switched off).

Im moving from Windows to Linux, on a netbook and a laptop, after too many years of intense frustration with Windows.

I'd installed Lubuntu on the netbook already, although have not used much as I didn't get it quite right. Internet works only via a cable now (already very weak wifi signal since a warranty repair years ago), the trackpad is a bit nuts and I appear to have an english-US only version so my keyboard use is also interesting. I will sort it out...sometime.

But I am just having my first ever use of Linux Mint KDE on live USB on my laptop at the mo - this is really great! I'm relieved everything appears to be working fine after playing for an hour or so, and its fast from the USB. Next step is getting it installed on a new (and far larger) hard drive that I bought for this laptop - the original one goes clickety-click and on Windows it freezes repeatedly so I think its nearing its end (?). Fingers crossed I don't break anything!

:)
The-Wizard

Post by The-Wizard »

Welcome to the Mint family forums.

Most problems already have a fix
search
read
ask
If you need to ask please copy and paste the result of terminal code inxi -Fnx with your question
And take your time to avoid disappointment.

wizard
kdemeoz

Post by kdemeoz »

newbek wrote:Hello ladies, nice to meet you.

You may have realized how novice I am by my first ever post on here to do with being confused on downloading by torrent and mirrors - I had done far too much goog'ling and was getting very hungry (brain switched off).

Im moving from Windows to Linux, on a netbook and a laptop, after too many years of intense frustration with Windows.

I'd installed Lubuntu on the netbook already, although have not used much as I didn't get it quite right. Internet works only via a cable now (already very weak wifi signal since a warranty repair years ago), the trackpad is a bit nuts and I appear to have an english-US only version so my keyboard use is also interesting. I will sort it out...sometime.

But I am just having my first ever use of Linux Mint KDE on live USB on my laptop at the mo - this is really great! I'm relieved everything appears to be working fine after playing for an hour or so, and its fast from the USB. Next step is getting it installed on a new (and far larger) hard drive that I bought for this laptop - the original one goes clickety-click and on Windows it freezes repeatedly so I think its nearing its end (?). Fingers crossed I don't break anything!

Hi & welcome newbek.

I hope you come to love your incipient Linux adventures! It's sooo cool. Many of us would have come to Linux for the same frustrated reason you mentioned [certainly i did]. Reading your remarks about Lubuntu & Mint KDE jolted me back to recollections of my beginning, & inspired me to dig out my old working notes made during my first timid faltering [& accident-prone] Linux steps. For [hopefully] amusement, here's some excerpts [pls, nobody feel offended; the following is a verbatim copy of parts of my notes & are much more a commentary of my own ignorance & incompetence back then, than a legitimate criticism of any distro per se]:
3/12/13: I did not want to attempt installation onto my physical SSD directly, & risk potential nasty battles between Linux & Win7 operating systems. I had the idea of trying instead to install into Virtual Machines...

1. In this I successfully installed & can run Xubuntu 12 … seems a bit clunky compared to Win7, but then again it’s fabulous given it’s totally free !!
2. I’ve been fighting in a big way with Linux Mint 10 Cinnamon, which though installed & “running”, is clearly not happy & is misbehaving quite a lot. If I can’t solve it, I’ll be removing it again.
3. I installed Ubuntu, & am pretty impressed with its “look & feel”; seeming much more “professional” & “chic” than Xubuntu. So far it seems to be working reliably.
7/12/13: A couple of nights ago I removed the ill-fated Mint 10 & 15, & downloaded the latest Mint 16 Cinnamon ISO.
8/12/13: Playing around with Mint 16 Cinnamon & Ubuntu within my respective VMware Virtual Machines. I am quite the pleased girl; this stuff is uber geek-cool hahaha. They have distinctly different personalities & styles to each other, but so far in my early days of Linux exposure, I can see pretty clearly why they both seem to have such large follower-bases. As for poor old Xubuntu, I need to play more with it, but so far I’m struggling to see why I would bother retaining or using it, in lieu of either of the other two. It just seems “clunky & crude” in comparison, which might be too mean … or to put it in other words, I’m yet to see some stand-out advantage it has over the others to justify it over them.

Have settled on Mint as my preferred Linux flavour. Given my considerable & prolonged hassles getting it installed & to run, originally, I'm a bit surprised at this outcome. However, notwithstanding that its installation really does suck in comparison to the others, once that pain is over, & now that I've spent many hours mucking about with them, Mint just seems rather more flexible & holistic. As i read in a blog, Ubuntu seems "boring" in comparison to Mint.
24/6/14: For the past 2 nights I’ve continued mucking about with my Mint 17 'Qiana' – Cinnamon, & also doing more Linux research. The former continues to really impress me, & the latter has unearthed some tantalising possibilities [Evolution, which is an amazing Linux replicate of Outlook [or maybe vice versa?], & some incredible screen / window / desktop graphic manipulation & special effects / animations [like in Minority Report] called KWin].

Re KWin, last night I tried unsuccessfully to install it into Cinnamon, then via research discovered that whilst it can be run in some Mint Editions, apparently it’s incompatible with Cinnamon. It’s actually part of the KDE environment, & so I found that there’s another Mint edition available called Linux Mint 17 _Qiana_ - KDE (64-bit) … which I duly Torrented overnight, installed [in dribs & drabs (workday)] today, & which tonight I need to finish setting up
After only a little exposure to Mint 17 KDE in the VM, i knew i had found my OS; the next stage in my personal growth & liberty was irresistible; i removed the VM, & researched then did "the doing of" converting my single-boot windows7 laptop to a dual-boot windows7 + Mint 17 KDE. A little later:
29/6/14: The more I’ve mucked about with, become more familiar with, & partly got on top of, my new Linux Mint 17 KDE, the more I really like it … to the extent that each time I need to reboot back to Win7 [eg, to use Outlook; still no solution for this], the heavier my heart is. Win7 is IMO the best MS OS ever; I’ve really liked it from the first day I used it. Yet, in comparison to Mint KDE, Win7 feels old, staid, limited, & even “small”.
I'll stop boring you now, other than to say that eventually i converted my laptop, & bought-then-setup a tower, as single-boot Mint KDE paradises, with windows consigned merely to VMs on them [& these days hardly ever fired up -- yay]. I feel so pleased with discovering Linux, happy about how much it's fun & powerful to use, & immensely lucky to have had the benefit of the marvellous Mint distros to ease my journey.
newbek

Post by newbek »

It was good to see your journey with linux kdemeoz.
I haven't had much use of Windows 7 (parents have it, they have everything under the sun installed on it yet my Vista business - :shock: - programmes still have more options, I find it odd).
Trying to get to grips with improving my researching of linux instructions & issues....off to the newbies section!

Return to “Introduce Yourself”