Can't figure out how to put a directory in the home file. I want to check my mint 18.1 mate DVD

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
jbander
Level 3
Level 3

Can't figure out how to put a directory in the home file. I want to check my mint 18.1 mate DVD

Post by jbander »

Can't get past step one. Is there a program to do this.

This page explains how to verify their integrity and authenticity.

Preparation

1. Create a directory called "ISO" in your home directory.

2. Move the ISO image you downloaded in this directory.

3. Download the following files and move them into the "ISO" directory.
File Description
sha256sum.txt Contains the SHA256 sums to check the integrity of the ISO images.
sha256sum.txt.gpg Signed by the Linux Mint team to check the authenticity of the sha256sum.txt file.

Your ~/ISO directory should now contain 3 files: Your ISO image, the sha256sum.txt file and the sha256sum.txt.gpg file.

DeMus

Re: Can't figure out how to put a directory in the home file. I want to check my mint 18.1 mate DVD

Post by DeMus »

The details depend on which desktop environment you use, but it is probably almost the same on each one:

Open your file-manager (dolphin in KDE, thunar in XFCE, nautilus or caja in Cinnamon and Mate)
It will open in your home folder.
Right click an empty space there. A pop-up will appear. Choose add new directory (new folder)
Type in the name ISO and confirm with OK
That's it.

jbander
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Can't figure out how to put a directory in the home file. I want to check my mint 18.1 mate DVD

Post by jbander »

Thanks, I know this is right in front of me but it's amazing because you can't see it , can you tell me how to check sha256sum/md5 on the DVD and once it is down loaded on the hate drive. This is correct for what I have downloading. b41c5258c03bd8fe4ecab5f1db33f4484bd1992ec306ea4bdde25fc7d6ea2f40 *linuxmint-18.1-mate-64bit.iso.

richyrich
Level 19
Level 19

Post by richyrich »

That tutorial is 6 years old, and does not give any info on Sha256 . . I suggest the Mint User's Manual. :)

Neil Edmond
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Neil Edmond »

Ooops! In my haste I didn't notice. Is this better? It's only 8 months old: https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/2322

JerryF
Level 12
Level 12

Post by JerryF »

*** IF your problem has been solved, please edit your ORIGINAL post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members when browsing posts. ***

jbander
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jbander »

That seems to bring us back to the same question , I have the sha/md5 number. I listed it in my thread. Thats the download file it matches the mint18.1 distro file, now I want to check it on the DVD and after that check it when it is loaded.

JerryF
Level 12
Level 12

Post by JerryF »

jbander wrote:That seems to bring us back to the same question , I have the sha/md5 number. I listed it in my thread. Thats the download file it matches the mint18.1 distro file, now I want to check it on the DVD and after that check it when it is loaded.
The instructions show how to do an integrity check and authenticity check.

Code: Select all

How to verify ISO images
This page explains how to verify their integrity and authenticity.  The following is a paste from that page.

Preparation
1. Create a directory called "ISO" in your home directory.

2. Move the ISO image you downloaded in this directory.

3. Download the following files and move them into the "ISO" directory.

FILE	DESCRIPTION
sha256sum.txt	Contains the SHA256 sums to check the integrity of the ISO images.
sha256sum.txt.gpg	Signed by the Linux Mint team to check the authenticity of the sha256sum.txt file.
Your ~/ISO directory should now contain 3 files: Your ISO image, the sha256sum.txt file and the sha256sum.txt.gpg file.

Integrity check
To verify the integrity of your ISO image, generate its SHA256 sum and compare it to the one found in the sha256sum.txt file.

In most Linux distributions the SHA256 sum can be generated by opening a terminal and running the following commands:

cd
cd ISO
sha256sum -b *.iso
The last command should show you the SHA256 sum of your ISO file. Compare it to the one found in the sha256sum.txt. If they match, you've successfully verified the integrity of your ISO image.

Note: If you have coreutils version 8.25 or newer, another way of checking the sum is to ask the sha256sum command to check the file against the sha256sum.txt file, like this:

sha256sum --ignore-missing -c sha256sum.txt
Authenticity check
To verify the authenticity of the sha256sum.txt file, we need to check the signature on the sha256sum.txt.gpg file.

1. Import the Linux Mint signing key:

gpg --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-key "27DE B156 44C6 B3CF 3BD7  D291 300F 846B A25B AE09"

Note: If gpg complains about the key ID, try the following commands instead:

gpg --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-key A25BAE09

gpg --list-key --with-fingerprint A25BAE09

Check the output of the last command, to make sure the fingerprint is 27DE B156 44C6 B3CF 3BD7 D291 300F 846B A25B AE09.

2. Verify the authenticity of he sha256sum.txt file:

cd
cd ISO
gpg --verify sha256sum.txt.gpg sha256sum.txt
The output of the last command should tell you that the file signature is 'good' and that it was signed with the following key: A25BAE09.
EDIT: Once you do these two checks, the ISO is valid and ready to burn.
Last edited by JerryF on Sat May 06, 2017 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
*** IF your problem has been solved, please edit your ORIGINAL post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members when browsing posts. ***

jbander
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jbander »

What am I missing here. The directions above only verifies the download file of the program. I want to also verify what is on the dvd after it is burned and once put on the hard drive I want to verify that also. So one more time, how do I check the sha/md5 on the dvd and also on the hard drive when it is installed to it. Am I reading everything wrong.

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

You can't check the sda256sum on a DVD after it is burned. The empty space on the disc changes the result.
I believe there was a discussion once about it, and someone came up with a complicated formula. I don't know where to find that - (assuming it is reliable).
There is an "Integity mode" menu item on the DVD menu when it first boots. I don't know how reliable that is, either.
Just burn your DVD at a slow speed for best results.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

Habitual
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Habitual »

austin.texas wrote:You can't check the sda256sum on a DVD after it is burned.
But you can! Requires a desktop.
Insert Medium and let it mount

Code: Select all

dd if=/dev/sr0 of=Videoes/MyMint.iso
sha256sum Vidoes/MyMint.iso
Compared to published values.

Have fun!

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Habitual wrote:But you can! Requires a desktop...
Good tip. Thanks.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

jbander
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jbander »

I got a number after I downloaded it, I went to the install disk on the desktop . I right clicked on it and there was Check MD5/sha and the number was the same as the download. I think. I went around and around for quite a long time so I'm not totally sure of what happened at this point.

jbander
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jbander »

Thanks everyone, Its on the hard drive and so far all is well.

Return to “Newbie Questions”