Problem with Windows Fast Startup and LM18.1

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Memoox

Problem with Windows Fast Startup and LM18.1

Post by Memoox »

Hello everyone.

I've been gone for a while, but destiny calls again and I'm back with Linux.

I have a laptop at work, and with the new policies, they've put windows 10 and assigned me a user, without administrative rights. Can't do much of my work efficiently because I don't have really any control over what the IT team decides is best for me. Anyway, Linuxmint 18.1 came to my rescue giving me a excelent portable system. I've installed it on a 32gb Sandisk USB Stick and works great.

Since yesterday, Windows updated itself and turned back on Fast Reboot. I can't mount the partitions and I can't get any work done. So I decides to install LM 18.1 on the laptop as a separate partition, with dual boot. I know i can tell the installer to mount the other ntfs partitions, i've done that in my own computer, and I plan to do it here as well. BUT, I'm afraid it won't work after reboot because of Windows settings. Remember, I can't change any setting on windows 10.

But maybe this doesn't happen when i use the installer to automount those partitions like I did at home. Do you think it will work?.

Thanks in advanced
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kukamuumuka

Re: Problem with Windows Fast Startup and LM18.1

Post by kukamuumuka »

To mount Windows 10 automatically -> viewtopic.php?f=42&t=231684
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Memoox wrote:...So I decides to install LM 18.1 on the laptop as a separate partition, with dual boot...
A word of advice: you should probably check with someone if you're allowed to do that. It is a work computer and although you work from it, it isn't yours.

More and more companies have stringent policies regarding things like that.
Last edited by JerryF on Sun May 07, 2017 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Memoox

Post by Memoox »

Well... I saw the topic... (I don't how to quote just yet)... And I'll try modifying those files... But "messing" around with hibernation files... If I break Windows... I'm in trouble.

About if I can do this... There's no indication that I can't.. But if I were the IT Guys.. I wouldn't let them...

Right now I'm still using the usb stick.. the only way I found to make this work is to...

1st Boot Windows.. AND log in... You have to log in.
2nd Reboot.. Don't shutdown... doesn't work..
And boot from the Usb Stick
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

Memoox wrote:Well... I saw the topic... (I don't how to quote just yet)... And I'll try modifying those files... But "messing" around with hibernation files... If I break Windows... I'm in trouble.
It does not break Windows. Tested with many computers. :wink:
Mark Phelps
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mark Phelps »

Let's get some terms straight -- to start with:

Fast Boot -- a UEFI boot option, set in the BIOS settings. Not related to Windows in any way.

Fast Startup -- a Windows 8x/10 option, that is really a new form of hibernation that keeps the Windows filesystem(s) mounted even when Windows is not running. Not related to Fast Boot in any way.

Fast Reboot -- not a term that I'm familiar with.

The problem with Fast Startup is the Win10 enables it by default and when that is the case, since the Windows filesystem remains mounted, you will not be able to then REMOUNT the same filesystems in Linux.

You have to DISABLE Fast Startup in Windows -- if you want to be able to access the Windows filesystems from Linux.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Mark Phelps wrote:...
You have to DISABLE Fast Startup in Windows -- if you want to be able to access the Windows filesystems from Linux.
Unfortunately, Memoox may not be able to do this because he has been assigned as a Standard user.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Memoox wrote:Well... I saw the topic... (I don't how to quote just yet)... And I'll try modifying those files... But "messing" around with hibernation files... If I break Windows... I'm in trouble...
To quote someone's post, click on the button with the quotation mark. It creates a reply with the quote tags already in the post.

With all due respect, you're willing to partition and install Mint as dual boot, but not "mess" around with hibernation files?
CaptainKirksChair
Level 4
Level 4

Post by CaptainKirksChair »

Memoox wrote:Since yesterday, Windows updated itself and turned back on Fast Reboot.
Just ask the IT department to turn Fast Startup off. Tell them you are having problems with accessing files or some other such rot. Tell them it is intermittent and you can't pin it down but the problem started with the last update of Win10. Just DON'T tell them you are booting to a Linux LiveUSB. If they DO turn off Fast Startup, make sure you let them know that fast startup WAS the problem and it is fixed now. Keep the ticket number handy because you might have to do this again.
Memoox

Post by Memoox »

JerryF wrote:
Mark Phelps wrote:...
Unfortunately, Memoox may not be able to do this because he has been assigned as a Standard user.
Exactly... Is a long story but is a pain to ask them something.. I have to put pressure with my boss... and right now... My boss and I are not in good terms...
JerryF wrote:
Memoox wrote:Well... I saw the topic... (I don't how to quote just yet)... And I'll try modifying those files... But "messing" around with hibernation files... If I break Windows... I'm in trouble...
To quote someone's post, click on the button with the quotation mark. It creates a reply with the quote tags already in the post.

With all due respect, you're willing to partition and install Mint as dual boot, but not "mess" around with hibernation files?
Thanks for explaining.. Actually you're right... But I think they don't notice... The only way to notice is if they go to Disk Management... They can only access this machine though Teamviewer... This guy (the IT guy)... He seems son confident... He's always bragging about that he's the only one who knos about computers... Anyway...
CaptainKirksChair wrote:
Memoox wrote:Since yesterday, Windows updated itself and turned back on Fast Reboot.
Just ask the IT department to turn Fast Startup off. Tell them you are having problems with accessing files or some other such rot. Tell them it is intermittent and you can't pin it down but the problem started with the last update of Win10. Just DON'T tell them you are booting to a Linux LiveUSB. If they DO turn off Fast Startup, make sure you let them know that fast startup WAS the problem and it is fixed now. Keep the ticket number handy because you might have to do this again.
I'm doing just that right now, just sent the email. I couldn't get Internet access... something wrong with my assigned IP, but when I tried to restar my Wireless... guess what!!.. No permissions... Is a pain.

Right now I thinking clonezilla... and then change all permissions... :twisted:
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Memoox wrote: Thanks for explaining.. Actually you're right... But I think they don't notice... The only way to notice is if they go to Disk Management... They can only access this machine though Teamviewer... This guy (the IT guy)... He seems son confident... He's always bragging about that he's the only one who knos about computers... Anyway...
Ah, yes, I know the type :roll:

Return to “Installation & Boot”