NVIDIA with SLI

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

Re: NVIDIA with SLI

Post by Husse »

I suppose you mean that after the second install of Mint you don't install the nvidia drivers
Is this the 64 bit version?
If not that's the explanation
If my memory serves me right the nvidia drivers have a problem in 32 bits system with much memory
You can remove 2 GB memory - it can't be used properly anyway if you have a dual channel memory controller
With a single channel controller remove one GB the fourth GB only causes problems in 32 bits
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
monkeyboy00

Post by monkeyboy00 »

I just wanted to thank you for the walk through, it worked like a charm.
suamme1

Post by suamme1 »

Just a quick note to those who found this from a search, but the same instructions also apply in Ubuntu 8.10 and worked great.

Thanks!
jag1182

Post by jag1182 »

Just had to tell you that I hadn't had a problem until I tried to load Felicia X64, then had the problem you described - and this worked great! Thank you for giving such clear and complete instructions - you earned hero status for certain.
Aljado

Post by Aljado »

Another one posting thanks for successful resolution. I had problems in editing xorg.conf, but that turns out no file was found because I wasn't logged in as root. Quick sudo su and off I went.

So delighted, this problem has had me pulling my hair out. Thanks a million
Lantesh

Post by Lantesh »

I am not running an SLI setup, but I've bookmarked this thread in case I ever do. Thanks for the information! 8)
monkeyboy

Post by monkeyboy »

Hey Guy. From a fresh working install its the same process as listed in the above walk through except you just launch the terminal and ignore the portion of the instructions that have you purging the broken driver and go right to the install part . The rest of the process is given step by step in the walk through and as long as I watch my syntax it never fails. The instructions don't list the 180 series driver as an option but it works for me so you might want to give it a try. Good Luck
Husse

Post by Husse »

And the first character in lspci is a lower case L?
If it is a one then the command will definitely not be found
TomS

Post by TomS »

Has anyone used this solution with Mint 7? If so were are any changes necessary?

Thanks,

Tom
rootie

Post by rootie »

Hi Ho, As I am also having problems with Nvidia Drivers or should I say my problem is with the 270.26 or higher and running on a 32bit machine.
You see I also have two gtx-286'S and a thired card being a GTX-185 cards and they seem to run well under 64-bit OS control but not under 32-bit OS mode or cant be hight than 260.19.36 because that is the last driver that worked for me under 32-but control and I need a far higher version for testing of up-2-date graphic code.

MOTHERBOARD: ASUS M4N82 Delux SLI Approved ( was M3A79-T Delux)
Card:GTX-285 GAINWORD GTX-285 SLI (2048 DDR3) Same BIOS Version
GTX-285 GAINWARD GTX-285 SLI (2048 DDR3) Same BIOS Version
GTX-185 GAINWARD GTX-980aSLI (1024 DDR2) old test only
PSU Thermaltake-800w for Cards only
PSU Thermaltake-1200w for MB,Disks etc
Screen LG-3000H 2560x1600
Now some time the 2nd Gainward just vanishes or goes for a walk? but only when under 32-bit OS control, never sen under 64-bit OS Control. Now that sound s like a slot contact type of problem?
As for help from Nvidia: It is a total wast of time even thinking you going to get any help.

One odd point is that we have noticed that on this M4N82 MB and under 64-bit OS Control they seem to control board slots down from 5 to 0 as apposed from up from 0 to 5.
It should not make a difference but if you count from good to duff cards or duff to good cards then you see it will make a difference in the end result type of an Array.
I will continue to watch your problem and will report any news I find that may be of use to you.
Good Luck, Rootie,

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”