Freezes After Suspend??

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.

Freezes After Suspend??

Post by Guest »

Hello everyone.

I new to the Linux world, just switched from Vista, and i can proudly say that, "i will never go back to windows again".

But on to the problem im having. When i close the lid on my laptop it suspends just fine but, whenever i come back to it and open the lid for it to load, it freezes, with lines on the screen and i have to hold the power button and restart it.

Is there any fix for this? or whats going on? Im using Mint 6.2 x64 edition on a HP DV2610us laptop. AMD turion x64 2core 1.9ghz, 4gb memory nvidia video card etc..

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
garda

Re: Freezes After Suspend??

Post by garda »

This is a generic tweak for systems with nVidia graphics cards to make hibernate and suspend work correctly, but I have not tested it on any AMD64 systems yet.

1. Open /etc/default/acpi-support to add post_video=false and vbe_save_state=false:

Code: Select all

gksu gedit /etc/default/acpi-support
Use mine as reference:

# Should we save and restore state using the VESA BIOS Extensions?
#SAVE_VBE_STATE=true
SAVE_VBE_STATE=false <=

# The file that we use to save the vbestate
VBESTATE=/var/lib/acpi-support/vbestate

# Should we attempt to warm-boot the video hardware on resume?
#POST_VIDEO=true
POST_VIDEO=false <=

*Remember to comment out the default settings before making any modifications.*

2. Disable Vsync in Compiz:

System > Advanced Desktop Effects Settings > General Options, go to the Display Settings tab and clear the checkbox next to Sync to Vblank.

More detailed instruction is available here.
garda

Post by garda »

Post here the contents of every single file that you edited. I suspect that you made a typo somewhere. Even if you did not, I will hopefully be able to suggest something to sort it out.
garda

Post by garda »

am i suppose to remove the arrows?
You should not have included the arrows -- they are simply pointers. So what you should do now are:
1. Remove all arrows from each file that you edited.
2. Remove the line that reads Option "NoLogo" "True" from your xorg.conf file.
3. Reboot your computer afterwards then check to see if your computer can suspend and resume correctly.

If then you think you still have to blacklist AGPGART, do these steps:
1. Open the blacklist file for editing, with this command:

gksu gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
2. Append this line to the bottom of the file:

blacklist agpgart
3. Save and exit.

As for triggering standby/suspend by closing the lid, that mostly has something to do with how the new version of X handles inputs, which is still beyond my knowledge as of now.
garda

Post by garda »

Yes, that is correct. Unfortunately I have no idea what to do next for I do not have an AMD laptop, as stated in my previous post. So the best thing I can recommend now is to undo all the changes since they do not seem to do any good for you.
garda

Post by garda »

I need some time to investigate this. I will come back to this thread with my findings within days -- less than 3, hopefully.
garda

Post by garda »

Looks like I need some more information. Could you please post the outputs of the following commands:
For kernel-related informations:

uname -rmpio
For general partitions informations:

sudo parted /dev/sda print
For swap partition informations:

swapon -s
For Nvidia-related packages informations:

dpkg -l nvidia-* | grep ^i
For uswsusp package informations:

apt-cache showpkg uswsusp
I have managed to convince a generous friend to lend me his Turion laptop so that I can play around with ACPI tidbits more accurately. All I can tell for now is that the kernel ring message [ 0.612202] ACPI: EC: GPE = 0x2a, I/O: command/status = 0x66, data = 0x62 has nothing, or at least very little, to do with uswsusp.

And I am going out of town this morning, so this might take longer than I initially estimated.
garda

Post by garda »

The laptop I borrowed from a friend of mine was an Acer Aspire 4530 with the following specs:

- AMD Turion64 X2 RM-74 Processor
- NVIDIA nForce MCP77MH Chipset
- 2GB DDR2-667
- NVIDIA GeForce 9100M graphics controller
- etc.

The sad thing is that I did not get any problem with suspend or hibernate -- nothing significant. Every distribution I threw at it seemed to play relatively nicely with it, including Linux Mint 6 Main (x86 and x86-64), Ubuntu 8.10 (x86 and x86-64) and OpenSuSE 11.1 (x86, did not have time to download the x86-64 variant). The only minor problem with power management that I found while playing with this laptop was the hard drive would constantly grind aggressively upon resuming from hibernation under Ubuntu 8.10 x86-64, although it only occurred occasionally and it did not arise under any other operating systems that I tested.

Therefore I can only give you hypothetical possible fixes here, which may or may not get rid of the issues you are experiencing:

a. Upgrade your laptop BIOS to the latest version. The laptop I tried already had the latest BIOS available on Acer's web site.
b. Give your operating system a swap size of at least 1x the size of your physical RAM. This was how I set up the swap partition for every operating system I installed on the laptop.
c. Reconfigure uswsusp like this:
- Call uswsusp's configuration menu:

sudo su

dpkg-reconfigure uswsusp
- "The device node through which uswsusp can talk to the kernel:
Just clear (empty) the input box and hit Enter to use the default node (/dev/snapshot).
- "Perform Checksum on image?"
Choose No.
- "Compress image?"
Choose Yes.
- "Perform early write out?"
Choose Yes.
- "Preferred maximum image size:"
Enter a value no higher than half of your swap here.
- "Log level:"
Enter 2.
- "Maximal log level:"
Enter 2 again.
- "Encrypt snapshot?"
Choose No.
- "Show splash screen?"
Choose No.

That is about all that comes to mind as of now. I am sorry for letting you guys down.
garda

Post by garda »

It is hard to point out distributions that are fully compatible with one particular system since most distributions do not maintain up-to-date compatibility lists.

So before you start to swing over from one distro to another, you might want to try switching (as in upgrading or even downgrading) kernels. Switching kernels is much quicker and can often, although not always, be much more effective.
garda

Post by garda »

By switch kernels, I mean try out later or earlier revisions of the Kernels. Since you currently use version 2.6.27-12-generic, you might want to try installing either 2.6.27-13-generic or higher (if available). If you are not seeing improvement with the the later revisions, try stepping down to 2.6.27-11-generic and earlier until you find one that works best with your system. You may use Synaptic to install other revisions of the kernel.
garda

Post by garda »

I would usually play with i8kutils if I experience oddities with temperature and/or CPU and chipset fans. But since the aforementioned software is not available for 64-bit, I do not know what to recommend.

Return to “Beginner Questions”