Mint for life

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
0ddity

Mint for life

Post by 0ddity »

Hello Mint Community! I have been dabbling with Linux since High School in the late 90s starting with Red Hat. When I experienced the beauty of KDE, and the customization of Gnome, compared to vanilla Windows 95/98 and early MacOS I'd grown up with, I was always ready to convert. Once I had my own computer, I'd install this distro, or that one, always hoping it would be a functional replacement for Windows. I went through countless distros over the years, SUSE, Lindows/Linspire, Fedora, Gentoo, Crunchbang, DSL, Mandriva, Ubuntu, etc, and while I had fun tinkering with then, I just couldn't justify switching. Either there were hardware support issues, lack of features, too steep a learning curve, or whatever, there was always something preventing me from making the switch. That changed when I got the Linux itch again and found Linux Mint, and I downloaded the latest version, LM 10 RC. I couldn't believe it. No hardware support issues, stability, gentle learning curve, and great community support.
https://youtu.be/ljku54x1GqA (video of my first LM installation)

That was six years ago, and I'm still chugging along with Linux Mint 18.1 Cinnamon, and loving it. I still try out new distros in VirtualBox and on a spare HDD, but nothing yet has given me any excuse to switch. Besides my own laptop, I installed Mint 18.1 XFCE on what my family considered a garbage computer that nobody used any more, an old Dell XP box with a Pentium D and 1GB of ram, and that once useless machine is zipping along as a YouTube/browser games/educational machine for my 8yo son, and now has many years more of life in it. Many thanks to Clem, the dev team, community contributors and the whole LM community, for the Linux Mint experience! :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Mint for life

Post by kc1di »

Get testimonial. Encouraging to hear - Thanks for sharing :)
Last edited by kc1di on Tue May 02, 2017 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Yup, I still try other distros. Always end up back with the old faithful minty one.
The Old Timer

Post by The Old Timer »

Can't say I'll always be Mint for life.

I can say I'll always use Linux. 8)
Jim Hauser

Post by Jim Hauser »

I too have run the gauntlet of distros starting with Open Suse way back in the 3.5 inch disk days. For some reason I kept going back to Windows. I didn't like Windows, I just didn't think there were any other good options. I was very impressed with Linux Mint 16 Cinnamon and kept a copy in the drawer. When XP dropped support I knew it was time to change. That was three years ago this summer. I ended up running the KDE version from 17.0 to 18.1 and have no intention of changing that trend. New software, new hardware and loving every minute of it! Mint could well be the last OS I will ever use.

Cheers!

Jim

P.S. It was this forum that kept me alive...
wxboss
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wxboss »

Being a new Linux user myself, my first Linux install was Mint Cinnamon. I did some research before installing it, and I've tried some other distros that appealed to me, but Mint just has all of what I'm looking for. I think it is a good overall, well-rounded distro which I plan on sticking with.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Mint for life
Using Mint is not a matter of life and death--it's more important than that.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

all41 wrote:Using Mint is not a matter of life and death--it's more important than that.
+1
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”