Why is it so hard to use Linux?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Dyfi

Re: Why is it so hard to use Linux?

Post by Dyfi »

The best tip for any linux newbie is to read, read, and read some more. All the info is available for those that seek.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

Mark Phelps wrote:I never cease to be amazed by the folks who jump into Linux -- and then install Wine to run Windows apps!
If you want to run Window stuff, then STAY in Windows!
I probably wouldn't use linux if not for wine, which I use for playing music (foobar), sound recording and editing (audition), graphics (irfanview and P-shop) and making DVDs (ConvertXtoDVD). Kludgey, buggy, user-hostile apps are Linux's worst characteristic.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
marsh20
Level 4
Level 4

Post by marsh20 »

and the OP has long gone ?!?!
Think about the "undo" before you "do".
marsh20
Level 4
Level 4

Post by marsh20 »

I so want to post this one to the debian forum>
Think about the "undo" before you "do".
sammiev

Post by sammiev »

Firefox 28?

Seems you forgot to run software updater after installation.
turtlebay

Post by turtlebay »

I was told off in the past for suggesting the file 'Linux is not Windows', which answers most of his questions / rants.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

All I can say is that if you are the sort of person who never really reads the directions, if at all, then you are going to find Linux hard.

But you'll also find installing WIndows hard. I doubt any of these idiotic rants are posted by anybody who's ever installed WIndows from scratch.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Flemur wrote:
jimallyn wrote:I don't know why you would have to install Wine to play a game on Facebook. Facebook games run in your browser, and should play with any modern browser, which, of course, you didn't have because you chose not to update your system.
That's what I thought, but they also have some other stuff (dunno anything else since I don't use facebook):
https://www.facebook.com/gameroom/download/
From shooters to strategy, builders to bingo, find your game in Gameroom, designed for PC gaming.
Available for Windows 7 and above
Thanks, Flemur. I didn't know they had games for download. I do use Facebook, but I am not a gamer. I stand corrected. That said, I'd be surprised if at least some of those games wouldn't play in Wine/PlayOnLinux.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Lemongrass38

Post by Lemongrass38 »

Chiller, you have said that these posts were defendive and negative. I'm sorry if I also did that to you. Really.

These people are willing to help you.
MintyO

Post by MintyO »

jimallyn wrote:
Flemur wrote:
jimallyn wrote:I don't know why you would have to install Wine to play a game on Facebook. Facebook games run in your browser, and should play with any modern browser, which, of course, you didn't have because you chose not to update your system.
That's what I thought, but they also have some other stuff (dunno anything else since I don't use facebook):
https://www.facebook.com/gameroom/download/
From shooters to strategy, builders to bingo, find your game in Gameroom, designed for PC gaming.
Available for Windows 7 and above
Thanks, Flemur. I didn't know they had games for download. I do use Facebook, but I am not a gamer. I stand corrected. That said, I'd be surprised if at least some of those games wouldn't play in Wine/PlayOnLinux.
If the only reason you can't use linux is the inability to play games you would download from facebook, then I humbly suggest you look at your priorities. :lol:
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Lemongrass38 wrote:These people are willing to help you.
+1

Seriously, for each of the problems you are having, post in the appropriate forums section. And do those updates! (See Update Manager at the bottom of the screen on the right hand side of the panel.)
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

I think a more important question is "Why is this topic still going on?" :lol:
chiller

Post by chiller »

This hysteria to constructive criticism is symptomatic of a closed shop defensive attitude,that feeds off itself. The Lemming like replies by the way, remind me of the Dark ages when only priests could read and write and the peasants were truly in the dark. Its to the contrary that I ask, why isnt there an index to the acronyms to help noobs? Or anyone for that matter! No one has answered that! (Except for the person who said to Google each individual one.) Duh! That alone, is a bottleneck to the take up of Linux around the world. That is the point of my post!
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

chiller wrote:why isnt there an index to the acronyms to help noobs?
http://www.linfo.org/acronym_list.html

http://www.2daygeek.com/list-of-linux-a ... eviations/#

http://www.infodrom.org/Linux/acronyms.html

https://www.allacronyms.com/linux/abbreviations
chiller wrote:This hysteria to constructive criticism is symptomatic of a closed shop defensive attitude,that feeds off itself. The Lemming like replies by the way, remind me of the Dark ages when only priests could read and write and the peasants were truly in the dark.
Your attitude sucks. You're not here to solve problems you might be having with Linux, you're here to whine and complain. I'm closing this thread.

Return to “Beginner Questions”