Anyone using DuckDuckGo...

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rick gen
Level 3
Level 3

Anyone using DuckDuckGo...

Post by rick gen »

...for a search engine?

Seems Google has become a massive miner of personal infos.
Yahoo is probably getting there, but not as callous as Google.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Anyone using DuckDuckGo...

Post by Moem »

rick gen wrote:...for a search engine?

Seems Google has become a massive miner of personal infos.
That's been going on for quite a while.

I use https://startpage.com and I'm quite happy with it. Worth a try, I'd say.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Citizen229

Post by Citizen229 »

I find DDG to be better at giving me what I want. Everytime I use google, I have to scroll through atleast 1 page of advertisement links related to my search query. Yahoo search atleast label the ads as sponsored links under the url, and there is only 4 or 5 of them.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Sometimes DDG but usually Startpage HTTPS. I just find that the latter gives me better results. Am I the only Chrome user who almost never uses Google to search?

For me it isn't so much a privacy issue. WHat bugs me more about Google is that they place sites that use Google ads higher in the search ranking. So I get a lot of crap commercail sites/blogs when I'm looking for relevant info.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bolle1961 »

yep, from the beginning, 2007 / 2008? Somewhere around that time.
In the beginning was google better, but the last years I only use DDG
slipstick
Level 6
Level 6

Post by slipstick »

I've used only startpage (formerly called ixquick) for many years - no complaints.
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they ain't.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

The problem with DDG is, that the server are placed in the US. :roll:
benchrest
Level 3
Level 3

Post by benchrest »

I use dog
LM Cinnamon 19, ASUS TUF B450M, Ryzen 5 2600x, 16gb memory, Samsung SSD 970 EVO-Plus 500gb, Samsung SSD 850 Pro 256gb, dual 27" monitors, MSI GEFORCE GTX 1050ti Areo ITX. Big user of Gramps, LibreOffice, Unison.
sammiev

Post by sammiev »

+1 to Startpage. Been using it for many years now.
sphyrth

Post by sphyrth »

I mainly use DDG for its !bang commands. I think that people started losing trust on it once its devs announced its Partnership with Yahoo, even with this promises to keep things private.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

generally it's usually DDG or Startpage, & if I've not already modified the search engine list.
8)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
rick gen
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rick gen »

Google probably knows more about you than you do about yourself. :D
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

mrjohnbates wrote:Also in the US, by Law the NSA has to have backdoor access to all Commercially used Encryption... and you might take note if you are not already aware of this that this makes VPN's virtually pointless.
Just the ones that operate in the US.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Neil Edmond
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Neil Edmond »

Yeah, I usually use DuckDuckGo, or StartPage.
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

You are not going to hide from the NSA but I doubt they are selling your data to big corporations or impacting what ads you are seeing on line - but you can bet Google is. DDG claims they don't track you but who knows. As far as VPN goes I suppose it is useless, again, in terms of hiding but I think the encryption for almost all the hops (not sure about the last one) affords some additional level of protection for online banking and shopping.
vladtepes

Post by vladtepes »

majpooper wrote:You are not going to hide from the NSA but I doubt they are selling your data to big corporations or impacting what ads you are seeing on line -
although it probably is worth worrying if you are getting ads for holidays to sunny Guantanomo Bay, Cuba....
Vanilla Lumina

Post by Vanilla Lumina »

DuckDuckGo doesn't seem to find what I'm looking for all the time, and something tells me it builds part of its results from Bing's search, but the !bang system is definitely an innovative idea and I like it.
Citizen229

Post by Citizen229 »

Dont forget on top of that. In the US your can get prepaid cards at walmart and other retailers. You can load up the specific amount you want to spend. Anything over that amount will get rejected. It has the abilities of a credit card online, without someone being able to get your info and maxing out a credit limit. Even if someone does get your number string, they will have a hard time trying to buy things with the few cents positive balance on the card.
thom_A
Level 4
Level 4

Post by thom_A »

majpooper wrote:You are not going to hide from the NSA but I doubt they are selling your data to big corporations or impacting what ads you are seeing on line - but you can bet Google is.
Interesting way to put it nonchalantly. Like one is more benign than the other. Yeah, invade Joe Citizen's privacy all you want uncle Sam as long as you're not selling his data!
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

thom_A wrote:
majpooper wrote:You are not going to hide from the NSA but I doubt they are selling your data to big corporations or impacting what ads you are seeing on line - but you can bet Google is.
Interesting way to put it nonchalantly. Like one is more benign than the other. Yeah, invade Joe Citizen's privacy all you want uncle Sam as long as you're not selling his data!
If I could put it any better, I would.

I can't; therefore, I won't.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel

Return to “Chat about Linux”