Mepis 8: no-go

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Mepis 8: no-go

Post by locutus »

I installed Mepis 8 today, twice.

First was on my desktop, which has a 24" widescreen monitor. It booted up but I was left with nice wallpaper but no icons on the desktop, no menu system and no taskbar. I did manage to click on a terminal -- after moving the cursor several inches off the screen.

Then I tried it on my laptop that has a more common 17" screen. It couldn't even find the screen: it wouldn't start x, nor kde or anything else.

I think it should have gone thru another 4 or 5 RC's (they had already done 4). Don't waste your time.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
NoClue!
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Mepis 8: no-go

Post by NoClue! »

You may need another DL and a slow roast. The folks at Mepis know how to work!
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Mepis 8 is alright, community members will go above and beyond to help resolve any problems. Mepis does have very strong community support and very complete documentation. Warren Wofford did the right thing going back to a Debian base, the distribution is extremely upgradeable and their community repo is very active. I will not rain on the mepislovers parade. :mrgreen:
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by locutus »

I used it exclusively for two years before switching to Mint. Yes, Warren is av ery skilled programmer but his attention has been drifting for a while now. I was following Brooko's somewhat futile attempts to coax Warren along. It took a long time. For me 6.0 was the last stable release and things have been going steadily downhill ever since, IMO.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

Interesting opinions, here. Haven't tried Mepis 8 yet, but Mepis 6.5 was great here and Mepis 7 has been great also. I also have Mint Elyssa installed and don't have any reason to say that Mepis is better than Mint or that Mint is better than Mepis. I like them both and use them both, along with a couple of other distros. And I have no reason to think that Mepis 8 won't just as nice as every other Mepis version so far, if not better. It doesn't seem to have gone "steadily downhill" at all. Lots of happy users over there just like over here.
houndhen
Level 2
Level 2

Post by houndhen »

I have been running Mepis 8 since about the 4th beta. It works great on my system. Before 8 version 7 was my main distro. I still keep 7 updated in case I mess up 8. Second in line for my working distro is Mint 6. It also works well on my system. After a year or so of trying to learn Linux I have come to the conclusion that some distros work on my system and others don't do so well. With me it just depends on how much trouble I am willing to go to just to get a distro working. I am partial to KDE but look at XFCE. The Mint 6 that I recently installed and like uses the gnome desktop environment. There are so many choices. One just has to find what fits and what they like.

Go Linux!
Thanks,
Harold

Return to “Chat about Linux”