How to read obfuscated PDFs?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
chrisra
Level 1
Level 1

How to read obfuscated PDFs?

Post by chrisra »

Hi everyone,

sometimes you run across a PDF where the fonts have been scrambled in a way similar to this: http://spivey.oriel.ox.ac.uk/corner/Obfuscated_PDF
On Xubuntu 16.04, with either evince, okular, or pdfgrep, I can search within these PDFs (and copy text). On Linux Mint 17.3, I can't. I assume it must be a feature in some common library, since this behaviour extends over several programs. Before I do a distro upgrade because of this one thing (and hope that the latest LM has it), does anyone know what to do with these PDFs?

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MichaelJohn

Re: How to read obfuscated PDFs?

Post by MichaelJohn »

Have you tried Mint 18.1 to see if it is still an issue. Sometimes issues creep in that are fixed either by an update or in the next release....
Mute Ant

Re: How to read obfuscated PDFs?

Post by Mute Ant »

"does anyone know what to do with these PDFs?" Possibly...use Firefox to open it then 'Print To File' to make a plain-text version? I don't know, I never tried.

Return to “Software & Applications”