windows 10 dual boot issue

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
deathwiz

windows 10 dual boot issue

Post by deathwiz »

I realize this is a linux forum but I think my problem is occurring because it is dual boot AND you all have always been more helpful than any windows support. So here is the issue. I have windows 10 and mint 17 as a dual boot. I want to clean install windows 10 and keep my current mint. I have grub as the boot loader. I downloaded the media tool and made a USB for windows 10. Whenever I try to boot that USB, it pops up with a message saying something went wrong. I have already tried to remake the USB with the same results. Am i missing something? thanks for the help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Re: windows 10 dual boot issue

Post by mr_raider »

WHat is the message? Creating a bootable win 10 media is not always easy.
deathwiz

Post by deathwiz »

The message was "your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. We'll restart for you. For more information about this issue and possible fixes, visit http://windows.com/stopcode. Going to that site does not help solve the issue because one of the solutions is to perform a clean install, which is what I was trying to do. I created the bootable usb with the windows media tool which download the windows 10 iso and creates the bootable drive.
Rocky Bennett
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Rocky Bennett »

Did you use Rufus to create the bootable USB stick?
Rocky Bennett
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Rocky Bennett »

deathwiz wrote:The message was "your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. We'll restart for you. For more information about this issue and possible fixes, visit http://windows.com/stopcode. Going to that site does not help solve the issue because one of the solutions is to perform a clean install, which is what I was trying to do. I created the bootable usb with the windows media tool which download the windows 10 iso and creates the bootable drive.

You still need Rufus in addition to the media creation tool.
Mattyboy

Post by Mattyboy »

Absolutely forget the 'media creation tool', hey, its microsoft its bound to go wrong ;)

Just download the Windows 10 ISO, M$ don't make it easy but if you skip all the annoying stuff on their site you can just download it without the tool. As already said us rufus, just open the program and drag and drop the ISO over the open rufus window.

I would advise that you wipe the drive or partition that contained your original Windows install as you'll have more M$ hoops to jump through as it attempts to recover rather than install.

You probably know its advisable to install Windows first then Linux as Windows likes to take dominance of boot priorities. It may be as simple as running the command sudo update-grub from a live version of Linux or you may have to perform a GRUB rescue ( you'll find the 'how to' here on the forums ) so be prepared with either a second USB of Linux boot media or be prepared to create one from your new Windows install with rufus. As you can perform these tasks from a live version.

If you're using two drives pull the sata lead out of your Linux drive before installing windows.
gold_finger

Post by gold_finger »

Have never used MS's Media Creation Tool, but have used Rufus to make bootable Windows install USBs without issue.

Just going to add a few pointers.
  1. If you don't already know, figure out if both Mint and Windows were installed in UEFI or Legacy/Bios mode. Best way:
    • Boot into Mint, open a terminal and enter

Code: Select all

sudo parted --list
    • Look for the "Partition Table" line under the drive you'll be installing to.
    • If it says "gpt", they were installed in UEFI mode. If it says "msdos", they were installed in Legacy mode.
  2. Rufus will give option to make bootable USB for booting in UEFI mode or not. Make it the same mode you determined above.
  3. No matter what mode you install in, you're likely to lose ability to boot Mint. Don't worry, that can be fixed. For best results, make a live Mint USB of the exact version of Mint that you have installed on the computer. You'll need that to fix grub and to post back here with necessary terminal output. When you're done, just post back with output of this command from the live Mint USB and we'll direct you to proper method for re-installing grub:

Code: Select all

sudo parted --list
  4. Personal opinion on best way to install Windows without it automatically wiping out everything (including your Mint install) on disk:
    • Use GParted from either installed Mint or Mint USB stick and delete all Windows partitions. (NOTE: DO NOT delete the EFI System Partition if you're OS's are installed in UEFI mode. The Mint boot files are in there and Mint needs that partition to remain.)
    • After Windows partitions are gone, make one large NTFS formatted partition in the space they used to be. (This assumes that all Windows partitions were next to one another. If they weren't, just make a large NTFS partition in the biggest empty space now available.)
    • Close GParted when done, shutdown computer, then reboot with your Windows USB.
    • Direct the installer to use the newly created NTFS partition for installation rather than the whole disk. It will then use that space to make whatever partitions are needed by Windows.
    • One caveat: if you install in UEFI mode, I have no idea if Windows will just use the currently existing EFI System Partition, or wipe it out and make a brand new one. (It's not the end of the world if it wipes old one out -- just more of a hassle.)
  5. Make backups of anything (in Mint and Windows) you don't want to lose just in case something goes wrong or you mistakenly install Windows to whole drive.
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

@ deathwiz

Please check your UEFI/BIOS settings(accessed through F2/F10/F12/Delete/Esc key), eg enable Secure Boot and Fast Boot, disable CSM and boot the Win 10 USB/DVD in UEFI mode.

Return to “Beginner Questions”