<SOLVED> Finally; I have to admit defeat.

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Spinner912

Re: Finally; I have to admit defeat.

Post by Spinner912 »

Well; where do we go from here? Everything suggested implemented, and the final result after it all is exactly the same as it was before we started. nVidia drivers say they install, but apparently they don't. nVidia drivers when purged say they are purged, but nothing changes. Nouveau when installed doesn't install, although it says it does. Attempts to update kernel fail. Regardless of how it is tried, it remains the same. Clean install of Mint 18.1 results in the blue screen of death telling me that X server has failed to load - the failure which occurred with Mint 17.3 in the first place.

(lmintnewb2: lshw reveals absolutely nothing irregular. In fact, it shows everything as I would expect it to be).

The only improvement is that a new DVI cable was tried and it resulted in being able to boot up in 17.3 to a better resolution than formerly, but still nowhere near the 1920x1080 which existed previously. And there seems to be no way of adjusting it.

And complicating all of this is that on another HDD, Windows 10 boots up perfectly into the correct resolution, using nVidia drivers, each and every time. This surely indicates that there is no hardware problem.

Which brings me back to the original problem. I can only partly successfully boot into Mint 17.3 but can access all files and run all apps. But I cannot adjust anything. It appears that no matter what I try, everything is locked and cannot be changed. This led to a clean install of Mint 18.1 which does not run at all. I have tried this with both HDD inserted in the machine, and also with one completely out at a time. Same results.

Any further thoughts other than going for a completely new computer would be greatly appreciated. Perhaps I should try a clean install of Mint 17.3?
thom_A
Level 4
Level 4

Post by thom_A »

Spinner912 wrote:Which brings me back to the original problem. I can only partly successfully boot into Mint 17.3 but can access all files and run all apps. But I cannot adjust anything. It appears that no matter what I try, everything is locked and cannot be changed.
Disclaimer: This is just a guess. It appears you're describing a hard drive or partition that is in a read-only state. I had experienced the same problem, but not exactly similar, like when I was trying to access (in Mint) another ntfs partition used as a bridge or storage between Windows (yes I dual boot also) and Mint. It is solved by doing what Mint says in the prompt. Boot in the Windows partition and access the said drive, see if it's working, do some checking, etc. I absolutely no idea about the issue behind it.

EDIT: It probably has nothing to do with it. (You can ignore this post, and just move on.)

Anyway I also had the same problem, but not similar, with the HDMI part of my more expensive display card in my relatively newer PC. But I no longer use two monitors. The thread is here and it might not help:

viewtopic.php?f=59&t=213768
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Post by coffee412 »

Just my .02c worth here:

I remember having very bad issues with Geforce 730 cards before. Something is just different about them that makes running them in linux a real PITA.

Probably already suggested but I would remove the card and just stick in a 'test' video card and boot from a mint dvd or flash drive. Then check that everything else seems to be recognized. Then get a hold of a decent video card. I would think anything but the 730.

It just doesnt make sense to me to spend so much time and agony on a video card issue when you can replace it with a similar card but not a 730 in this situation. I would think that any other card is going to work ok and if it doesnt you can return it to where you bought it. Then it might be prudent to backup your personal data and just to a full reinstall. I say this because you commented about kernel issues too if I remember correctly.
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
Dell PE T610, Dell PE T710
- List your hardware Profile: inxi -Fxpmrz
MeshCentral * Virtualbox * Debian * InvoiceNinja * NextCloud * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
thom_A
Level 4
Level 4

Post by thom_A »

Troubleshooting is an elimination process for me. You say things work on Windows. Mine works, too, but that doesn't mean you have to eliminate it when running another OS. The obvious thing to do is to replace the nvidia card with another one, if only temporarily, the purpose of which is to pin down the real problem. (As you indicated that your machine has no built-in graphics card.) So if you have another PC lying around, take its graphics card temporarily and see if it's giving the same issues.
Spinner912

Post by Spinner912 »

I have changed the GPU back to an old GeForce unit, installed Nouveau drivers from Drivers Manager, and absolutely nothing has changed except that I can now boot into a 1280x1024 resolution without doing anything. Still not a patch on the 1920x1024 I had before this trouble. I am still in Mint 17.3.

Despite loading the nouveau driver from Drivers Manager, inxi -Fxz still shows FAILED: nouveau. Drivers Manager shows nouveau as the selected driver.

Could nouveau still be Blacklisted? How can I discover that? How can I reverse it?

In the Update Manager-> View, kernel 3.13.24-24 (3.13.9) is shown as "loaded", but 3.19.0-32 is shown as "Recommended" and "installed". Should I attempt to change the kernel to the latter, and if so, how would I go about doing that? Is there a more suitable kernel?

Here is a copy of the latest inxi:

xxxxx-desktop ~ $ inxi -Fxz
System: Host: xxxxx-desktop Kernel: 3.13.0-24-generic i686 (32 bit gcc: 4.8.2)
Desktop: MATE 1.12.0 (Gtk 3.10.8~8+qiana) Distro: Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa
Machine: Mobo: ASUSTeK model: P5VD2-X v: 1.XX Bios: Phoenix v: ASUS P5VD2-X 0308 date: 03/19/2007
CPU: Dual core Intel Core2 4400 (-MCP-) cache: 2048 KB flags: (lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 ssse3) bmips: 7999
clock speeds: max: 2000 MHz 1: 1200 MHz 2: 1200 MHz
Graphics: Card: NVIDIA GT215 [GeForce GT 240] bus-ID: 02:00.0
Display Server: X.Org 1.15.1 drivers: fbdev (unloaded: vesa) FAILED: nouveau
Resolution: 1280x1024@77.0hz
GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 3.4, 128 bits)
GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 10.1.3 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio: Card-1 VIA VT8237A/VT8251 HDA Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 80:01.0
Card-2 NVIDIA High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 02:00.1
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k3.13.0-24-generic
Network: Card: Realtek RTL-8110SC/8169SC Gigabit Ethernet
driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: 9c00 bus-ID: 04:07.0
IF: eth0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives: HDD Total Size: 720.2GB (15.4% used) ID-1: /dev/sda model: ST3400620AS size: 400.1GB temp: 41C
ID-2: /dev/sdb model: ST3320620A size: 320.1GB temp: 41C
Partition: ID-1: / size: 359G used: 95G (28%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
ID-2: swap-1 size: 9.09GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda5
RAID: No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 34.0C mobo: 41.0C
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: 1102 psu: 1939 sys-1: 0
Info: Processes: 147 Uptime: 45 min Memory: 849.0/2711.8MB Init: Upstart runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.8.4
Client: Shell (bash 4.3.111) inxi: 2.2.28
xxxxx-desktop ~ $
lmintnewb2

Post by lmintnewb2 »

Mentioned am not the gnu/Nix graphics guy. Just some thoughts on this, seems you've got a graphics improvement with exchanging graphics cards though ? Hey ... if correct at least that's something,"1280x1024 resolution without doing anything" ?

Anyway, moving outside my comfort-zone, so can't give details but some opinions perhaps. Just some googling around says LM 17.3 is supported until 2019 and that it comes with kernel version 3.19. Was that the kernel you were using while the graphics worked well ? If so, yep ... use it.

If you formerly had everything working in LM 17.3 ( including much better resolution and etc.) Then revert back to that and put the relevant packages on hold. Go no further with them, don't upgrade the kernel, do not use a newer graphics driver other than the one you were using. Which was some version of a proprietary Nvidia driver or ? You can either try that driver ( the earlier proprietary one you were getting good results with) with the graphics card you substituted or put the one you had working well enough back and do as I'm advising above. Put things back the way they were when they were working well and leave them alone.

Basically saying go back to what was working well for you. One of the aspects of sounds like it's a nightmare I was babbling about when it comes to proprietary graphics and gnu/Linux. Oh this driver will work with this kernel, will break with that one/driver, do the hokey pokey and turn yourself around.

Just 2 cents and hopefully helps. Mentioned next time around hopefully you won't get faced with this type of headache. Someone will have to of course invest some time, effort and do some homework. Guessing graphics cards + gnu/Linux doesn't always have to be a pita. Haven't had to cross that bridge as of yet and will cross it when/if I ever get there.

There definitely are situations when running gnu/Linux, where it's advisable to leave well enough alone and the not fixing, if it's working well, not broken thing. May be a way to get graphics working up to snuff in LM 18.1 for you, I really have no idea but you've got at least until 2019 to worry about it.

Could simply reinstall grub2 if necessary for LM 17.3 and get rid of 18.1 ? Doing that type of thing is no doubt covered to hades and gone in these forums and elsewhere all over the internet. So am gonna shut it and wish you well in reverting back to a good graphics experience.
Last edited by lmintnewb2 on Sun May 28, 2017 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

sphyrth wrote:You guys have to admit, though, that his story is consistent with his posts. A case of broken machine... which he was willing to do because of upgrading the system.

Mint 18.x breaks some functions I need, so I went back to 17.3. Too lazy to ask the forums. But beats going Windows any day. Guess what? It just works.

Upgrading defeats me from time to time, too. It's not Linux's fault. It's mostly hardware lacking Linux support.

Edit: When I was writing my comment there only two replies. You guys are fast typers.
Indeed. I have had more problems with 18 than any other Mint installation I have done. 17.3 works just fine, I'll run it until the bugs run away from 18.
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

Spinner912 wrote: Display Server: X.Org 1.15.1 drivers: fbdev (unloaded: vesa) FAILED: nouveau
Your nVidia driver isn't even appearing. You're running the frame buffer driver.

You need to do these things in order: remove the nouveau driver completely. Upgrade or downgrade) to a different kernel, 3.19 was working well for me ( I have a 660 card). Update grub and reboot, and make sure you are running the right kernel. remove the nouveau driver, and then you can either reboot (command line version) or install the nVidia driver now. The ONLY nVidia driver that has given me no issues is 304. All the rest have caused trouble with my card. Install the driver and watch the output. It should say something about building kernel modules. Reboot again and you should be good.

You gotta get that nouveau crap completely out of your system or it will override the nVidia driver. I have also used 340, but it has issues as well. 304 is the one to load if you're having troubles.

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
Spinner912

Post by Spinner912 »

I now have an old card which has run without problems previously. I have installed nVidia 304 from both Driver Manager and then again over the top of it from Synaptic. (Same version). This driver was running before the problems. The same kernel is running as was running before the problems, 3.131.0-24. (I can't seem to be able to change that either. It also appears locked).

I have acted on various bits of information from here and there resulting in blacklisting nouveau. FAILED: nouveau, is no longer appearing in inxi, but there is no mention of a nvidia driver. Should there be?

The is no nvidia X settings in Menu->Administration. "Displays" shows a "Default" monitor with resolution locked at 1280x1024, 77Hz, with no possibility of changing that. Being a wide angle display, this results in noticeable and very annoying distortion of the display.

Everything else runs perfectly on 17.3 except for this cursed display problem, the only real interface between the machine and the user.

Once again, it seems that no matter what is done, nvidia is completely and totally locked out of the system. It gives absolutely no indication that it is running (or not).

I think I have come to the end of the road, which brings me back to seriously having to consider the title of this post.

What now? Anyone? I am ready for really radical suggestions.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

Spinner912 wrote:I now have an old card which has run without problems previously. I have installed nVidia 304 from both Driver Manager and then again over the top of it from Synaptic. (Same version). This driver was running before the problems. The same kernel is running as was running before the problems, 3.131.0-24. (I can't seem to be able to change that either. It also appears locked).

I have acted on various bits of information from here and there resulting in blacklisting nouveau. FAILED: nouveau, is no longer appearing in inxi, but there is no mention of a nvidia driver. Should there be?

The is no nvidia X settings in Menu->Administration. "Displays" shows a "Default" monitor with resolution locked at 1280x1024, 77Hz, with no possibility of changing that. Being a wide angle display, this results in noticeable and very annoying distortion of the display.

Everything else runs perfectly on 17.3 except for this cursed display problem, the only real interface between the machine and the user.

Once again, it seems that no matter what is done, nvidia is completely and totally locked out of the system. It gives absolutely no indication that it is running (or not).

I think I have come to the end of the road, which brings me back to seriously having to consider the title of this post.

Hmmm....interesting...
Graphics: Card: NVIDIA GK104 [GeForce GTX 660 OEM] bus-ID: 03:00.0
Display Server: X.Org 1.17.1 drivers: nvidia (unloaded: fbdev,vesa,nouveau)
GLX Version: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 375.39 Direct Rendering: Yes
Remove the frame buffer/vesa drivers?

Interesting. I thought I was running 304 (I am on other versions). No wonder I'm having small issues...
Last edited by Arch_Enemy on Sun May 28, 2017 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

PS: Here's a tip: make a small (<30G) partition for / and a larger partition for /home. That way, when you get painted into a corner (I'm not going to lie, i've done it a few times) you can reload the OS without losing anything. I'd try a few more things (what those will be will require input from a Guru) and then back up my datd and start over using 2 partitions.

Neil Edmond
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Neil Edmond »

I was having similar trouble a few months ago. Didn't seem to make a difference what distro I installed, I could not get graphics to work right, even though it was OK in Windows (must admit though, Windows was using nearly 100% CPU cycles). So, I was blaming Linux for the problem. Turned out to be bad capacitors on the mother board. I'm not saying that's you problem, just that some faults lie where we least expect them.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

like Neil Edmond says - - "even though it was OK in Windows "

in that,, the Windows System has purpose written drivers for it's hardware,
& the Linux System has generic drivers inbuilt into it's Kernel.

so, it's no surprise, when some hardware won't work under a Linux System.
& that there is sometimes, a lot of effort, to get your hardware working under Linux.

like my new Lenovo M92p - - the sound works just fine with win-7,
but not so, with Ubuntu 16.04 :(

so, I'm still working on that issue.
:shock:
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
thom_A
Level 4
Level 4

Post by thom_A »

Spinner912 wrote:I think I have come to the end of the road, which brings me back to seriously having to consider the title of this post.

"Radical suggestions" Hmm...
Well, if I were in your shoes I'd be curious to know if another nvidia card would do it. I'd buy something like a simple, inexpensive, no frills, easy-to-install Geforce 8400 GS or something similar. I'll go to a local BestBuy, then return it if the same problem persisted OR not. At least I would learned something. Then I can finally say it's not really the card, it's something else.

All of this household's three 8-10 yr old PCs, all of which with nvidia cards, have all been regularly upgraded with every Mint release. They're all running normally in 18.1. So it's probably luck.

Only time I had a problem was with my 4 yr old machine when I added a pricier nvidia card. I couldn't get the HDMI part of the card to work. It's giving me low resolution. But the DVI/RGB portion was/is working just fine. So the solution for me was obvious. Don't use the HDMI output. Well, I got it to work with the help of a forum member in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=59&t=213768 But I no longer use dual monitors.

EDIT: When I was troubleshooting the hdmi part of the nvidia card mentioned above, I installed the card in another PC temporarily. It's giving the same problems, can't get it to work, but it's working okay in Windows. I'm just making a point about the importance of doing simple elimination (process) to narrow down the issues.
Spinner912

<SOLVED> Finally; I have to admit defeat.

Post by Spinner912 »

It is finally SOLVED!

Firstly, I upgraded to Mint 18.1. I could only boot to the Live DVD by editing "nomodeset" into the boot GRUB menu.

The MATE version of 18.1 was installed. But still I needed the nomodeset option to get to the sign in screen.

I then installed xserver-xorg-legacy from Synaptic. (see Ubuntu GNOME bug #1559576 for an explanation of the fix). The latest list of updates to 18.1 included a applet for nvidia settings.

From Driver Manager I then reverted to nvidia-304 (a legacy driver). Nouveau was the selected driver until this stage. (I am using an old GeForce GT240 card again).

I then rebooted and without nomodeset, or any other interference from me, all of a sudden I had a 1920x1080 display, a nvidia xserver settings applet, and an apparently fully functional installation.

Thanks to all of you who beat your heads against a brick wall trying to assist with what, in Mint 17.3 appears to be an impossible bug.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: <SOLVED> Finally; I have to admit defeat.

Post by Moem »

Spinner912 wrote:It is finally SOLVED!
I love a happy ending! :D

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Yay!
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

@Spinner912
Good summary--and you did not admit defeat after all
Applause :)
persistence wins every time.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”