Games oddly switch to windowed mode!

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ddavid123
Level 2
Level 2

Games oddly switch to windowed mode!

Post by ddavid123 »

I am using Linux Mint 6 32 bit main. I am still having problems with games like tremulous and Nexiuz switching from full screen mode to windowed mode within 5 minutes of starting. When this happens, I lose control of the game. I can not re-size nor kill the game because the cursor is not visible, and the keyboard input is non existent! I can run GTA Vice City with Wine, and it is not affected!

This problem affects no other program to my knowledge, just 3-D games. I have installed Regnum Online, and it is affected the same way! I have reinstalled Mint twice, and every time the problem persist. I am not sure, but it seems to start after Mint update installs all the updates after the fresh install!

Has anyone had this problem? I am not at my Mint computer now, I will list the output of lspci, lsusb, and lsmod later!

Thanks!

ddavid123
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Games oddly switch to windowed mode!

Post by clem »

Hi,

It usually happens with SDL games. I'm not entirely sure why but I think it's because SDL doesn't tell the OS it's actually doing something... so Gnome basically assumes you're not here and activates the screensaver. You can appreciate how this doesn't happen for instance when you're watching a movie... even though you're not moving the mouse, the screensaver doesn't start.

Workaround: Disable the screensaver :)

Clem
ddavid123
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ddavid123 »

clem wrote:Hi,

It usually happens with SDL games. I'm not entirely sure why but I think it's because SDL doesn't tell the OS it's actually doing something... so Gnome basically assumes you're not here and activates the screensaver. You can appreciate how this doesn't happen for instance when you're watching a movie... even though you're not moving the mouse, the screensaver doesn't start.

Workaround: Disable the screensaver :)

Clem
Thanks, I will give that a try and report back!
ddavid123
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ddavid123 »

Sorry I haven't posted back sooner! Your tip proved beneficial! Since I have disabled the screen saver, I have had no problems. Thanks for the input.

Return to “Software & Applications”