How do I change the folder icon to a custom picture icon?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Shidifen
Level 2
Level 2

How do I change the folder icon to a custom picture icon?

Post by Shidifen »

Is there a way to change to standard folder icon in Mint XFCE to a picture? For example, in XP I was able to download a picture of a kids' video character and convert the picture to an icon and use that as the icon of a video folder so my young son could see what videos the folder contained. So a picture of Dora would let him know that the folder contained Dora the Explorer videos.

Is the same thing possible with Mint?
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Re: How do I change the folder icon to a custom picture icon?

Post by Spearmint2 »

you mean a link or launcher to the actual folder? sure, just create it and then change the properties of the icon to the image you want.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
Flemur
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Flemur »

Shidifen wrote:Is there a way to change to standard folder icon in Mint XFCE to a picture?
A "sort-of" answer (limited set of pictures):
Try thunar -> rt-click on directory -> properties -> emblems.

I'm not sure what that's supposed to do because for me it just silently un-selects whatever emblem I've selected, but that could be because I'm running thunar in fluxbox (more buggy software, sigh).
Edit: same result in an Xfce session.

Edit2: fixed it; root owned some stuff in ~/.local/share/gvfs-metadata
Now it adds a small icon on top of the directory icon for a given directory.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Shidifen
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Shidifen »

Thanks Spearmint2 and Flemur. Sorry for taking so long to get back. I can't get either of those things to work. If I knew what folder contained the emblem icons then I might be able to make a few of my own and add them, if it was as easy as that. Thanks for the ideas though.
Shidifen
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Shidifen »

I found where the theme and emblem icons are stored. I'll read up on how to use them. Thanks again.
notabit
Level 1
Level 1

Post by notabit »

Right click on folder you wish to customise > Properties > Basic. Drag an image file on to the folder image at top left. It works for me.
JerryF
Level 14
Level 14

Post by JerryF »

I don't know if this procedure works in all versions of Mint. I have 18.2 Cinnamon.

In file manager, right-click on the folder. Click on Properties.
Capture_014.jpg
Click on the folder icon found on the left of Name:, Type:, Contents:
Search for a picture file and choose that. (You should be able to use almost any type of file---I tried a PNG, JPG, SVG---all worked)

This is what should show:
Capture_015.jpg
Your customized folder:
Capture_016.jpg
*** IF your problem has been solved, please edit your ORIGINAL post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members when browsing posts. ***

Return to “Newbie Questions”