<SOLVED> linux mint 18.2 cinnamon 64-bit (beta) shutdown leads to restart

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
caspardavidfriedrich

<SOLVED> linux mint 18.2 cinnamon 64-bit (beta) shutdown leads to restart

Post by caspardavidfriedrich »

Hi,
I just installed linux mint 18.2 cinnamon 64-bit in place of windows 10 on my laptop. Now every time I press shutdown it will power off but restart in a few seconds. I have tried updating the kernel to 4.8.0-53.1 and disabling the wake-on-lan setting but neither works. Using terminal for `shutdown -h now' doesn't help either. A search online gave me too many different results on modifying the grub file but none of them worked for me so far. Does anyone have any idea how to solve this? I could send further results if you need me to type commands in the terminal. Thanks a lot!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: linux mint 18.2 cinnamon 64-bit (beta) shutdown leads to restart

Post by karlchen »

Hello, caspardavidfriedrich.

Please, note that problem reports and bug reports about Linux Mint 18.2 Cinnamon (beta) should be posted here:
Linux Mint 18.2 Cinnamon (beta) - section "Bug reports"

Regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
caspardavidfriedrich

Thanks Karl! I've put it there.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

Turn off Fast Boot in Windows. With all the new coziness between the UEFI BIOS and Windows, I'd not trust Fast Boot nor the Secure Boot functions, which have to be turned off anyway for most other OS installs.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Try and see if booting with "acpi=force" helps: viewtopic.php?f=90&t=246512&p=1325044#p1322611.
caspardavidfriedrich

Spearmint2 wrote:Turn off Fast Boot in Windows. With all the new coziness between the UEFI BIOS and Windows, I'd not trust Fast Boot nor the Secure Boot functions, which have to be turned off anyway for most other OS installs.
Thanks Spearmint2! Upon installing linux mint I've formatted the hard drive and presumably the windows have been uninstalled. Might there be some remnant settings from windows that I need to take care of?
sikejsudjek

Post by sikejsudjek »

Sounds like its suspending rather than shutting down ? What happens if you shut down from the menu instead of pressing a button ?
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

caspardavidfriedrich wrote: Thanks Spearmint2! Upon installing linux mint I've formatted the hard drive and presumably the windows have been uninstalled. Might there be some remnant settings from windows that I need to take care of?
what windows useds? Is the drive set for GPT or MBR partitions? Was this laptop an UEFI?
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
caspardavidfriedrich

what windows useds? Is the drive set for GPT or MBR partitions? Was this laptop an UEFI?
It's windows 10. It's a Thinkpad s431 and google tells me they are GPT partitions and the laptop was UEFI.
caspardavidfriedrich

sikejsudjek wrote:Sounds like its suspending rather than shutting down ? What happens if you shut down from the menu instead of pressing a button ?
Hi! it's the same whether I use shutdown in terminal, or from the menu, or press the button.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

Check the BIOS settings then. There is a setting in many aimed at server use which allows the computer to reboot after a shutdown.
caspardavidfriedrich

Spearmint2 wrote:Check the BIOS settings then. There is a setting in many aimed at server use which allows the computer to reboot after a shutdown.
Hi, do you have specific setting in mind? I could find such a thing in BIOS. Some source online says it's the wake-on-lan, but disabling that doesn't help either... Thanks!
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

caspardavidfriedrich

Hi,
My laptop doesn't have an `advanced settings' or similar tabs in its BIOS and I have explored every option without seeing a setting similar to the one mentioned in the two webpages you gave me. Do you think there might be other possibilities? Thanks a lot!
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

One possibility is that "acpi=force" that you didn't reply to; another is indeed WoL, which you said you disabled, but did not specify how/where.
caspardavidfriedrich

rene wrote:One possibility is that "acpi=force" that you didn't reply to; another is indeed WoL, which you said you disabled, but did not specify how/where.
I tried acpi=force but it didn't help. The WoL setting was changed in BIOS. Maybe I got the wrong place?
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

caspardavidfriedrich wrote:I tried acpi=force but it didn't help. The WoL setting was changed in BIOS. Maybe I got the wrong place?
As to the ACPI method, unfortunate. WoL in the BIOS frequenty refers to a dedicated header rather than the modern bus-based method -- but in fact probably only on significantly older machines than yours. Before we go bark up that tree any further therefore: googling for your issue leads to

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1261886

and in turn to

https://www.behnke.io/fedora-17-on-an-a ... -shutdown/.

That is, if you run

Code: Select all

sudo bash -c 'for i in /sys/bus/usb/devices/*/power/control; do echo on > $i; done'
and shutdown, does it then remain shutdown? If indeed, I'll go find out how to do that best automatically on Mint 18; I'm myself still on Mint 17, use hence upstart rather than systemd.

[EDIT] If it works, this would seem to by the way also indicate that you might be able to tweak a USB wake-up setting somewhere in your BIOS. Maybe that's all you need.

[EDIT] But if it works yet no amount of USB BIOS setting tweaking does, adjusted from the above mentioned sources, create the following as /etc/systemd/system/haltusbpower.service and after doing so run sudo systemctl enable haltusbpower.

[Unit]
Description=haltusbpower
Before=shutdown.target
DefaultDependencies=no

[Service]
ExecStart=/bin/sh -c 'for CONTROL in /sys/bus/usb/devices/*/power/control; do echo on >$CONTROL; done'
Type=oneshot
RemainAfterExit=yes

[Install]
WantedBy=shutdown.target
Last edited by rene on Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
caspardavidfriedrich

rene wrote: [EDIT] But if it works yet no amount of USB BIOS setting tweaking does, adjusted from the above mentioned sources, create the following as /etc/systemd/system/haltusbpower.service and after doing so run sudo systemctl enable haltusbpower.

[Unit]
Description=haltusbpower
Before=shutdown.target
DefaultDependencies=no

[Service]
ExecStart=/bin/sh -c "for CONTROL in /sys/bus/usb/devices/*/power/control; do echo on >$CONTROL; done"
Type=oneshot
RemainAfterExit=yes

[Install]
WantedBy=shutdown.target
Wow it worked! You're the best, Rene! Thanks a lot! I'll change the status to `solved' now.

Return to “Installation & Boot”