How do I remove "Unlock Keyring" message at bootup/

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

Re: How do I remove "Unlock Keyring" message at bootup/

Post by Husse »

This has returned - it was completely gone in Daryna and Elyssa but now I see a bunch of such problems
Do you use wifi? I guess so
The keyring is a store for passwords that is unlocked when you log in so your applications can use passwords
Do you use another user than the one you created first or have you changed name or password?
That can cause this to happen
The solution I have seen is to change the password for the keyring to an empty password
Can be changed in the pop up you want to go away
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Sorry - my mistake
The pop up only has a possibility to fill in a password
"Password and encryption Keys" > Edit > Preferences > Password keyrings
You have login > Automatically unlocked when the user logs in
and
login should have the password of your account - can be worth it to change it to that (which probably means changing to the same password)
You could try the same for default and if that does not help change to no password
You could try that for login as well
Note - you will be told that this leaves you vulnerable as your passwords are not encrypted - correct, but the password for your account is still safe - it's not handled by "seahorse"
This is a bit tentative - I can't understand why this happens to a few people - what's the difference between your systems and other systems
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GrayWizardLinux »

this has been a pain since I installed Felica last week. I am the only user too.
Linux Mint - Pure Bliss!
Husse

Post by Husse »

I think this is a bug when I see that it's not only the odd one out....
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

Husse I did try to go into ppreferences and keyrings and then into pgppassphrase and uncheck ask me beofre using a cached passphrase. we'll see if that works.
Linux Mint - Pure Bliss!
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

double post. sorry. server issues. slow and stalling.
Last edited by GrayWizardLinux on Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Linux Mint - Pure Bliss!
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

ubuntu caused a regression in PAM. Simple as that.

If you ever change your login password or your root password, PAM doesn't get the clue. Your keyring password stays the same. To "unlock the keyring" you need to give it the ORIGINAL password you used when you installed. Note that I mentioned the root password. So, yeah, that means that clicking "enable root account" can cause this problem. And then you might be supremely hosed unless you can hack the random root password.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Unfortunately i see a few such problems and I ask about changed password/user but no....
Don't really know what's going on - and of course its' something with PAM and it's little seahorse :)
Husse

Post by Husse »

The use of autologin seems to be the cause that is mentioned
If you use normal log in you should not be asked for the keyring password
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

Husse - I do normal login and it still occurs. It cannot be that. or at least that solely.
Linux Mint - Pure Bliss!
octavio

Post by octavio »

What a nuisance this is...I think I've fallen into this situation the same way other people seem to - I tried autologin, and then when I turned that off I keep getting asked to provide a password yet again for network management.

Has anyone managed to find a way around this?

TIA - O
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

I never did auotlogin and it happened - i got it to stop for a while but now it pops up everytime again and I HATE IT. Also having weird anomalous glitches with felicia too! sucks!
Linux Mint - Pure Bliss!
Husse

Post by Husse »

I have to read this again and give it some more thought before I come back to you
Thing is I had it and got rid of it - but of course I did not take note of what I did :(
octavio

Post by octavio »

I changed my password back to the very first one I used when I first installed the dist. , and for the moment it seems to have resolved the problem.

As I was perusing some other threads, I was wondering if anyone else had contemplated the utility of a sticky thread consisting only of items that would hose up or create issues on any install across the board, "Things you should never try".

"Autologin" appears to be a candidate.
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

Husse - I appreciate your help. I cannot remember what i did either. I tried to look at past posts and threads but could not see my comment as to worked. If I can figure this out again i will post back and PM you too.
Linux Mint - Pure Bliss!
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

Husse, as a side note: the last few eeks in felicia most of the time I cannot draga folder or file (icon) off of the desktop to another folder. can only copy and paste. I never saw this happen before. That really suck badly! Major anomaly.
Linux Mint - Pure Bliss!
Husse

Post by Husse »

Could I have a status report please
Anyone still having the problem and actions taken to try to solve it
@ GrayWizardLinux - does middle click drag work?
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

Hey Husse, I use a trackpad and never tried middle click drag. Used to work left click drag. IT happens most of the time but not everytime. Also the keyring still activates re: that issue.

personally - Ubuntu NEVER worked on anything i tired it on. So much for my illiterate grandmother to load it and use it. i am afraid that the more clem uses ubuntu and the newer glitchier versions the more he and we, as a result inherit a host of things that really botch Mint up.

I would rather clem backup to daryna and clean and fix and expand upon that, than to keep going forward and resultingly making Mint more glitchy and sucky. Candid; but True! Too many hassles and issues compared to what was in daryna. the main little improvment for me in felicia is that the screen does not dim on battery in Felicia and always did and kept doing it in Daryna. Felicia seems slower overall too.

Oh - got gnome do dock in Felica and in daryna had issues with dock and any minor cosmetic windows fade thing, etc.

Ahh!! another pain in the arse glitch - when you copy sometjing, esp a weblink for example and paste it in a document - it pastes 3 copies back to back in one long extended link that does not work or else 3 separate links back to back on 3 separate lines.

where the hell did that come from????

:-0
Linux Mint - Pure Bliss!
shayney

Post by shayney »

I've had exactly this same problem on a debian Sid, openSUSE, Parsix and now Mint Gnome installs.
It occurs for me when I have setup my wireless internet or setup email accounts in evolution.

I am still yet to find a solution to this problem in any of the distros but I find it unbearable and is almost making me switch back to KDE.
The only temporary fix I can find is to just use my wired internet connection and disable wireless and use kontact instead of evolution.
Husse

Post by Husse »

@ GrayWizardLinux
Please start a new topic about your dragging/copying problems - this topic is tough enough anyway
It is a regression - regrettably :)
My laptop does not have the problem. I have the same password for the account and the keyring
The version of libpam-gnome-keyring is 2.24.1-ubuntu1 (for Felicia)
I also have Elyssa installed on it with no problems, but this is something that has reappeared in Felicia
All I have is a "Network secret for....wireless..." in Passwords
I changed the password of the keyring to something other than the password of my account - and sure enough I was asked to unlock the keyring. Changed it back, and I was not asked to unlock
Temporarily changed to autologin - was asked for keyring password. Changed it to an empty password - was not asked
Changed back to normal - was not asked
So this is something that happens on a small(er) number of systems and I honestly can't find anything useful
I find questions about it but nothing that looks like a good solution. Someone had success by creating a new user but that's just about all

Return to “Beginner Questions”