[SOLVED] Change login photo?

Style your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Cicero86

[SOLVED] Change login photo?

Post by Cicero86 »

Hi, I would like to know how to change the login photo. I managed to change the user photo but not the login one, you know, the one where you enter the password at startup.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Change login photo?

Post by all41 »

The login picture is a file in your /home directory named .face
This file can be found by showing hidden files from the View tab in the toolbar or by Ctrl+h.
If .face is not there yet you can rename an image to that and put it in your /home directory.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Ideally the picture should have a size of 96 x 96 pixel. Otherwise it gets resized at run-time, what can take a little time. Also parts of the picture will not get shown, if the aspect ratio is different to 1:1.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

If you're using Cinnamon, go to Account Details and click on the picture to choose another one.
Cicero86

Post by Cicero86 »

all41 wrote:The login picture is a file in your /home directory named .face
This file can be found by showing hidden files from the View tab in the toolbar or by Ctrl+h.
If .face is not there yet you can rename an image to that and put it in your /home directory.
I renamed a file and all is good but when I try to copy it to /home itself it doesn't paste. Instead, it goes to the username folder of mine.

Do I have to restart the laptop?
Cicero86

Post by Cicero86 »

Cosmo. wrote:Ideally the picture should have a size of 96 x 96 pixel. Otherwise it gets resized at run-time, what can take a little time. Also parts of the picture will not get shown, if the aspect ratio is different to 1:1.
Thanks for the information. :) There is no way I would know this, if not for you. :)
Cicero86

Post by Cicero86 »

JerryF wrote:If you're using Cinnamon, go to Account Details and click on the picture to choose another one.
Unfortunately, I'm not using Cinnamon. I'm starting to think about changing to the more common Cinnamon or MATE DE, Because xfce isn't that much different, except for it being uncommon/not so popular which makes it harder to find solutions for. :(
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

This is my .face in Mint Xfce 17.3 in my /home/richyrich directory, works great ! :)
(click to enlarge)
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

richyrich wrote:This is my .face in Mint Xfce 17.3 in my /home/richyrich directory, works great ! :)
Richy,

I love your theme! What's it called, or did you customize it?
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Fuzzy-DarkBlue for both the Appearance style and the Window Manager style. :)
I've saved and used this theme since Mint 9 ! :lol:

You may still find it listed in Deviant Art's xfce4 section. (lotsa great Xfce themes)
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Thanks Richy!
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Oops forgot . . OSDark (Blue) icon set. :wink:
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Again, thanks!
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Cicero86 wrote:I renamed a file and all is good but when I try to copy it to /home itself it doesn't paste. Instead, it goes to the username folder of mine.
This is exactly the right place. You cannot store it in /home directly (and it would not do anything there).
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

@Cicero86
Cosmo is correct of coarse--I should have indicated /home/username instead of saying your /home directory.
Apologies for the confusion.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
Cicero86

Post by Cicero86 »

all41 wrote:@Cicero86
Cosmo is correct of coarse--I should have indicated /home/username instead of saying your /home directory.
Apologies for the confusion.
Hey, not at all :) thanks for your answer :)

I noticed that it differs from one theme to another. Some themes don't "read" the photo somehow....

But it's working fine now, Thanks a lot! :)

Return to “Themes, Icons & Wallpaper”