running mint on a mac

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gremln

running mint on a mac

Post by gremln »

i was wondering how to run mint on a power pc ibook g4. would i need a emulator? is mint compatible with my processor?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
foggytown
Level 3
Level 3

Re: running mint on a mac

Post by foggytown »

gremln wrote:i was wondering how to run mint on a power pc ibook g4. would i need a emulator? is mint compatible with my processor?
Sorry gremln, it isn't compiled for PPC. You would need an Intel Mac or a cheap PC to run it. You might be able to get it to run in an emulator like Virtual PC, but it would be so slow as not to be worth it.

Do a google search for "PPC Linux" and see what distributions turn up...I know that Ubuntu has discontinued their version and I am unsure if Yellow Dog is still under development...

Good luck.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
--Aldous Huxley
gremln

Post by gremln »

thanks, but i cant use vitalization software, since i have a ppc model (much of it is incompatible and proprietary ). I want to run mint, not os x or ubuntu or yellow dog. Maybe i might need a new computer, or an old Windows machine. i love what i have seen and heard about mint, and it seems to answer so many questionable things that are present in ubuntu, but, i want to use it myself
gremln

Post by gremln »

as much as i would love to ditch tiger for mint, i do not want to run any other distro. i'll find a Windows machine to customize since parts are prevalent.

Return to “Beginner Questions”